MotoGP 2014 Valencia Last Race of the Year Spoiler***************************

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by Gator, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    So we have 2 brothers as world champs. Little Brother had a much more exciting win as he hung on for 3rd and a 2 point championship. Big brother cruised along to beat Doohans record (I never thought that would be broken). Moto 2 had a crazy finish, Rabat runs out of gas with about 100 feet to go and Luti wins in disbelief. But Rabat is still world champion.

2. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    What are the odds of the 2 actually racing together in a couple of years?

3. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

It will mostly depend on how he does in Moto2. If his results are anything like Louis Salom and Sandro Cortese's were this year, it's gonna be more than a couple years......

4. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I think we will see him in GP in 2-3 years. 2 sets of brothers in GP would be crazy.

5. iamzombie

iamzombie New Member

All I can say is I'd be nervous if I was Pedrobot.

6. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    For sure.

7. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Yeah for sure, he is only one of the top performing world championship riders over the last decade, and, he was only on the podium 10 times in 2014, 13 times in 2013 and 15 times in 2012......i'm sure he doesn't care what the couch racing haters think, as he signed a 2 year deal earlier this year......scoreboard, baby.

8. iamzombie

iamzombie New Member

We get it, you like Pedrobot... Nobody else does.

He's a never-will-be, the closest he will ever get to a MotoGP championship title was 2012 when he was runner up to Jorge Lorenzo. HRC will sign Alex Marquez in 2016, watch and see, Marc and Alex Marquez riding together in MotoGP would be a marketing coup-de-grace, and also you better believe MM will be pushing for it, and HRC is likely to do whatever MM wants.

9. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Not saying hes a crappy rider but he is always the brides maid. If you put Lorenzo, ,Rossi or even Dovi on his ride you would probably have some serious competition for 1st. I still think MM would be the guy to beat but pedro has been on arguably the best bike for years. When it starts getting dicey and fairings bumping he more than not backs off. In the 2 stroke days he would not have survived. Could you imagine Rainey and Swantz with Pedro trying to compete? He would have been punted off the track.

10. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    This last race showed that hes fast as anyone..besides MM...put think when he was on Rossi's ass and it started to sprinkle he just wimped out and settled and backed off.
    Loved watching Cruchlow and Devo...thats was the best challenge all race..still Ducati is out there to win and not giving Cruchlow equal equipment sucks....hope he kicks it on the Honda.
    If Hayden doesn't pick it up (ya he had surgery) think he may be gone after next year....dont know how long his contract is for....but always in the mid teens with the rookie Redding and beating Nicky to

11. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Crap, I posted the below in the wrong thread, oh well.

That little jockey should be winning all the time on that machine. He had better look out in 2016 when his contract is up and Little Marquez has had a full season in Moto 2. The 2 brothers on Honda's will not only be something to contend with but a marketing bonanza for Dorna.

12. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

1. Dovi couldn't even do it when he was on identical equipment
    2. Honda wouldn't have signed him to a two year deal if they felt he wasn't worthy....ask Dovi.
    3. This ain't NASCAR and I don't know what MotoGP races you've been watching, but there isn't a lot of fairings coming together, and usually when they do, it's called a crash.....remember how much all of the guys you mentioned didn't care for Simoncelli and his penchant for playing cue ball.
    4. If it wasn't for some issues in two of the last three rounds, he had a good shot at beating all of the guys you mentioned for second in the championship.
    5. As far as Schwantz and the rest, watch a few of the classic old races on MotoGP.com and you'll see it isn't quite what you seem to believe it was. There are a metric fuckton of folks that have been following MotoGP during the last decade who make the same unsubstantiated claims online every day. Have you ever actually seen any of those guys ride?

13. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    I was one of the lucky ones...started going to Laguna in 84 for 12 years straight...lucky to have smelled and seen those monster 500's....and 250's

14. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

With Miller and Redding in line already, Alex will have to do something awfully special.....like maybe win a Moto2 race from the pack of the grid.........just because his brother is a two time champ doesn't automatically guarantee him a seat in the factory squad. I think Dorna would rather have a non spaniard for marketing purposes, my guess is they would rather have a Brit, Aussie, or Indonesian........

15. iamzombie

iamzombie New Member

Dorna doesn't call the shots for HRC, I assure you... if anything, it's the other way around. They were the ones who had the FIM change the rookie rule in 2012 so Marquez could ride for them after Stoner left. Which, for the record, they did because Pedrosa will never win the championship, and they know it ;)

Repsol is a spanish company, I assure you they are thrilled to have 2 spaniards onboard, and they will be even more thrilled when it's 2x Marquez.

16. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    1. Dovi has found something and is riding much better.
    2. Never said he was not good, just NEVER good enough. (in GP).
    3. Well saying "banging" fairings might be a tad dramatic but I still think if its tight and dicey he fall short. (Pun intended).
    4. Year after year its the same excuses for him, still the bridesmaid. Fact.
    5. This one I have to laugh about,yeah as we get older we romanticize about the past but Pedrobot on a 2 stroke monster without all of the mystical electronics.......... I think he would not even have a ride. Those days took huge balls not pre-teen size ones.
    I have seen a lot of racing, Daytona is just up the road from me and use to be fun until it was run over by Harley doods. .

For your viewing pleasure.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjOz2UmDhao

17. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    The Pedro debate is on many forums lately. This is a post from our resident GP guru who probably knows more than we all have forgotten.

Again, the race to watch was Moto3. Jack Miller did what he set out to do and won the final race. Too bad he didn't get the same kind of help he did in Sepang, as Alex finished 3rd. For all the Nicky haters out there, that put Miller's win count at 7 and Alex's at 3. Marquez is the world champion, but Miller is the real champion right? I'm just trolling. That being said, even though Alex punted Jack off in Aragon, Miller wasn't without incident during the year either. But hey, Alex is going to get the love because he's -ish -- Spanish, English or Italian-ish. Miller will be as hated as Stoner was, even though he's a better racer, IMO.

MotoGP was "meh" IMO. Iannone running at the front was fun for a time. Thought Ducati would have a strong showing in semi-wet conditions. Marquez owning the Doohan record was a sight to see. The kid is amazing, breaking records all year long. Too bad he wasn't able to capture the pole record in the same year. It would've been one of those rare, moon in the right phase, kind of occurrences. Lorenzo was victim AGAIN to his own poor tire choices. It's almost like he likes taking unnecessary gambles and risks by going with a tire choice different from everyone else, but it just seems to ALWAYS backfire on him. Ultimately, he didn't answer the bell and Rossi ends up having a better year. Props to Rossi for making the changes in his riding style necessary to compete against the aliens.

I actually found the post-season testing to be more eventful than the actual race.

Aleix Espargaro proved that Randy DePuniet is a terrible rider. He put that Suzuki in the top ten in the timesheets. Vinales is adapting quicker to the GP bike than any rookie in recent memory (other than Marquez). The RCV213V-RS is already a better bike than the current RCV1000R open bike. Although, it appears to be suffering AGAIN with top speed, being down 18 kph from the factory squad (but on equal footing as the factory option satellite teams). That being said, Cal Crutchlow looks 1000% happier to be on the Honda. As someone said above, he smartly parlayed his factory Ducati ride to a great satellite machine.

Even so, it looks like it'll be a Yamaha year next year, with ALL of the M1's in the top 5 in the time sheets. Both Marquez and Pedrosa favored the '14 version of the RCV. Even so, all of this testing, as exciting as it was, means nothing because these won't be the tires that they will be using. Unsure as to why Michelin wasn't ready to go in Valencia with a testing program.

As good as this season was (better than in season's past), next season looks to be formidable.

Marquez and Pedrosa on a strong Honda package.

Crutchlow and Redding on a strong satellite Honda package.

Hayden on a strong open Honda package.

Lorenzo and Rossi on an M1 that really has gotten on par with Honda by season's end.

Espargaro and Smith on a performance boosted satellite M1.

Espargaro (Aleix) seems to be putting the Suzuki up where it doesn't belong. I expect Vinales to do the same.

NGM Forward looks to be bringing a strong team.

All of the Ducatis appear to be improving and we should see a handful of them in the top 8.

We're reaching that kind of parity that we enjoyed by the end of the 990 era. If Michelin doesn't drop a deuce of an effort, we should have some good racing in 2015.

P.S. And yes, Alex Marquez is no doubt going to replace Pedrobot, I would say in a year if he wins the Moto2 championship. Even though there are two year contracts, they're all one-year contracts because an OEM can chop a rider based on performance, even Dani, who has essentially wasted his 8 years on a factory Honda.

18. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Gator....thanks for the video. ....men with BIG balls and no electronics.
    Was that Rothman Honda #4 Lawson?.....first thing to watch after waking up...thank you..
    Now have to go watch the 2 British superbike races I have from last week....awesome memories. ...

19. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Info from a friend. A little more fuel for the Pedro fire.

Unfortunately, unlike the smaller classes, MotoGP does not use a "combined minimum weight." Instead, only the bike has to meet a minimum weight. I believe it was two years ago that Ducati had a bike that was too heavy, which caused Dorna to INCREASE the minimum weight to keep it "fair." That year, Stoner complained because Honda had to add ballast to the bike to meet the higher minimum weight. Because Dorna doesn't require a combined minimum weight, HRC doesn't have to add ballast to Pedrosa's bike to make weight. Instead, as Rossi pled, this weight requirement gives lighter riders like Pedrosa an unfair advantage, not just in speed, but in terms of fuel consumption. For 2015, the language looks to still be just machine with a provision of lowering the weight further in 2016 by another 2 kg.

20. iamzombie

iamzombie New Member

Yeah all other classes in the championship have a minimum COMBINED weight, except MotoGP... Thank HRC for that one too, I bet.