Motorcyle Towing and Damage question

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by faran, Sep 24, 2017.

1. faran

faran New Member

United States
    So motorcycle was being towed through AMA on a flatbed and driver had no clue how to strap it properly.

Motorcycle fell on the bed, on the way to destination. I took many pictures of damage and everything.

Was wondering if anyone has experienced it and how does this whole process work? Is it painful and ugly?

I mean, it's very frustrating and annoying to go through all of this. Does anyone has any advice? Thanks very much.

2. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry man
    incompetence-------If I saw someone not knowing what the hell there doin I would of said NOPE and called for another driver--- or taught this guy the correct way.
    Hope it work out for ya

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. faran

faran New Member

United States
    Thanks very much, yeah but sometimes if you try to teach them they get upset or defensive. Plus, I was waiting for almost 2 hrs for a driver to show up!

Also, what kind of documentation/paper work they require and how does this whole process work?

Thanks

4. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United States
    Map
    Who cares - as long as they pay for it you should be fine.

If they can't do the job, they they shouldn't.
    Did you see the person load the bike up?
    Did you mention to him you were unhappy with his rigging process?

That's why these guys have insurance..

Good luck.

5. faran

faran New Member

United States
    Yeah it was just an annoying process, overall!

let's see what will happen. If anyone has any advice, I'll appreciate it.

6. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    I feel your pain, but it has happened now and cannot be undone. So it is sensible to focus on how you go about getting the damage fixed.

I have no idea how it works in the States but normally in Europe, tow firms will always complete a Pre-loading visual inspection sheet where all existing damage is clearly marked. You are then asked to check and sign that you agree with the inspection sheet and then you get to retain one copy of the report (so it cannot be changed afterwards). If the bike arrives with additional damage it should then show up when compared with the inspection sheet, and be the basis for any insurance settlement.

Hopefully they won't contest your claim to get the damage fixed.

Personally if I felt the bike was not suitably secure, once loaded - I would not hesitate to ask them to add some additional tie-downs if only to avoid all the hassle you are now going through.

Weirdly I suspect that if you tell them how to go about loading, you may be providing a tow firm with grounds to reject any damage claims. So perhaps not a great idea. Indeed on most ferries in Europe the crew leave it entirely to you to park and secure your bike - all they provide is anchorage points in the deck and serviceable ratchet strap and a grubby seat pad.

It is worrying that a professional tow vehicle driver has no idea how to secure a load - so for your sake I hope they do have proper insurance...

Good luck - Please let us know how you get on and perhaps let us know why the bike was actually being towed in the first place!

SkiMad

7. cat0020

cat0020 Trumper

United States
    Map
    Besides the visibly obvious damages, make sure you check the alignment of your handlebars.

Handlebars are designed to be used with human strength to control the bike, not designed to secure the bike during transport with 1000 lb. weight limit rating straps.

More than often, people secure the bike with ratchet straps right at the handlebar/grip level to tighten way beyond the designed strength limits, bend the handlebar or snap the clip-on during transport.

Ideal location to loop strap for securing the bike would be lower triple tree clamp or axles, even around the wheel/tire which are designed to support the weight of the whole bike.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  8. faran

faran New Member

United States
    Very well said cat0020, thank you.

Yeah, there are pictures and I am dealing with AMA about it. Let's see how it'll go.

9. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Glad your bike didn't topple over off the bed--- sorry for the mishap--- kind of a shame he didn't get a ticket for unsecured load--- got one for a chain in my ramps on a lowboy $400.
    Have you gotten a quote on repairs yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    The tow company should have insurance. With any luck you'll come out better than you started.
    Still sucks though.

11. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago.
    The tow company was a used lot, service center, salvage yard. Old school.
    Sat and talked with the owner. He convinced me that he was a good guy, and I did the same thing.
    He repaired some plastic in his shop- I removed, dropped off, and his employees did a decent job on cracks. No paint, just make it whole and fit.
    And he gave me some cash to forget about it. My recommendation is to not get mad, don't waste time with stooge employees. Go to the top, and ask them to be reasonable.
    I don't treat my cycle like a baby, and I don't like to waste a bunch of time getting a dime out of turnip.

If you want total satisfaction, you will need to go to small claims court and start gathering your paperwork for days off of work.

12. faran

faran New Member

United States
    Yeah, I have been working with the manager at towing company. So far, very reasonable guy and he has admitted fault and assured to take care of it through his insurance.

Still waiting for a call from 'their' insurance company though. So far things, seem to be on track but I won't be too optimistic unless it has been taken care of it, by them.

Will keep you guys up to date!