MSF ARC (advanced rider course)

Discussion in 'USA - Central' started by Firelight, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Firelight

Firelight New Member

Hello everybody,

I am an MSF ridercoach, and my geographic area is considering adding the MSF's ARC (advanced rider course) to our available curriculum. The msf describes the ARC as the following:

"A one-day course that complements a rider's basic skills and helps with personal risk assessment. It includes a fast-paced classroom segment with several interactive activities to improve perception and hazard awareness. Range exercises enhance both basic skills and crash avoidance skills. Improving braking and cornering finesse is emphasized. The course is beneficial for riders on any type of street motorcycle."

Does anyone have any first hand experience they would like to share? Has anyone taken the course? If so, did you enjoy the experience, and was it worth your time? If you are an experience rider, would you be interested in the course describe above?

Also, the msf claims that the military sportbike course is "Nearly identical to the ARC". If you have taken the military sportbike course, what were your impressions?

thanks!

to add some clarity, the msf also previously offered an "experience rider course". Please note this is not the same as the "advanced rider course". The ERC is mostly repeated material from the basic rider course on your own motorcycle. I am still rather unfamiliar with the ARC, so I cannot comment on it's curriculum, just be sure to check which you have taken, if you took either.

2. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    I took the course few years ago and I thought it is benificial, However I wish the practice run were on the actual street (Control environment) of course for a better feel of the situation. My class was conduct in the school parking lot set up with tons of red coin that got me dizzy :)
    Just my 2 cents.

3. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    I started riding as a kid in NYC on minibikes, dirtbikes, mopeds and eventually got a crusier when I was in the Army in Texas, and rode in the 70s and 80s before getting an MC license. I took the MSF course in NYC and learned a lot. In NYC the MSF course is the safest and most economical way to legitimately get your Motorcycle license and a small discount on insurance IMHO. I became interested in getting a Sportbike and opted to go to the Lee Parks Total Control Advanced Rider Clinic (ARC) after taking the MSF course. The Lee Parks Total Control ARC is the best motorcycle training I have had. I would recommend it to anyone who has taken the MSF course and has a season of riding experience. If you are a Sportbike rider the Lee Parks ARC is the next class you want to take, because the Clinic is all about cornering skills and invaluable information about motorcycle suspension/setup. After taking the Lee Parks ARC, a Sportbike rider may want to consider a few trackdays for further instruction and FUN, (try not to get adddicted to being on the track). You can also take a Level II ARC which gets into trail braking and advanced cornering techniques. An MSF Advanced rider course may be more beneficial for a crusier who can ride with an MSF Coach to critique your riding while in actual traffic and different real life situations. Good legitimate training helps a person ride better and safely. I am old skool and still believe the best way to learn to ride is on a dirtbike and go from there. Training for dirtbike and ATV riders is something a lot of people seem to want and need which the MSF could address. For me the skill set is different for dirtbike riders, crusiers and sportbike riders. The initial basic MSF course is a great start for all riders, but additional training for the type of bike and riding you may want to do may differ from others.

4. Hivizukusa2016

Hivizukusa2016 New Member

United States
    I took the course when it first came out as a student then later taught it as an MSF ridercoach , IMOO , I would steer students , returning riders to look at the the ultimate bike bonding course or total control , or even motogymkhana , all 3 offer a greater opportunity to improve rider skills.