My 1st carb rebuild has begun! 86 VFR750

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Lazy in AZ, Feb 21, 2010.

1. currycur

currycur New Member

Yes those are the ones I need and this bike will be mechanically sound. As soon as i figure out how to PM on this site you will have my info.

2. captb

captb New Member

United States
    Map
    On there way Monday morning. Best of luck!

3. ferrarone

ferrarone New Member

United States
    Map
    Shit. The guy I purchased my bike from removed the plate. Shit.

4. captb

captb New Member

United States
    Map
    It's not that bad, as long as you note how springs go back in carb linkages and take your time. I did fuel tee o-rings in mine and it runs like a swiss watch.
    Putting a new stick pot in my Futaba 9ZAP Tx, that's something I hope I never have to do again, pic 2 is half way down thru the PCBs, a bunch of stuff had to come out to get to this point, it works like new again and I saved $200 service fee, I'll do the carbs anytime verses that.

Attached Files:

5. Lazy in AZ

Lazy in AZ New Member

Map
    Prairie Dogs and Lions, Jerry. They're my all time favs

6. currycur

currycur New Member

Whats so bad if you remove the plate? If you are careful and catalog the dissasembly and keep all the parts in order I dont see what the problem is. Captb you removed you plate once did u have a problem?

7. Lazy in AZ

Lazy in AZ New Member

Map
    Bikes running but a bit lean and now with a knock in the #4 top end it sounds like...

[video=youtube;UWcqFDpyFPM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWcqFDpyFPM[/video]

So, in this video I recorded me starting the bike so you can hear how it sounds after the carb cleaning and new boots. The bike is running a bit lean and the carbs are WAY out of sync, so that explains the engine not sounding too healthy.

BUT, it doesn't explain the knocking that I'm hearing. I didn't want to drop the rpm's down to below 1200 cause then she'd just kick herself off and die. Then you'd just be hearing me starting her, running for about 5-10 secs and dying again.

Seriously, without the carbs sync'd getting her to idle at normal speed is just a pain in the ass cause I got to play with the choke the whole time. So, this is what I can get for ya's for now.

8. captb

captb New Member

United States
    Map
    You have to get the carb butterflies to operate perfectly and adj. and sync the carbs, if it runs rough you will get weird noises.

9. Dukiedook

Dukiedook New Member

Map
    Are you sure you are getting sufficient spark at #4?

10. supertex

supertex New Member

yeah check and see if your pipes heating up off that cylinder. Toe Cutter did this on mine by using a thermometer gun. Can tell you how far away from the other 3 it is.

11. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Well, did you get all the springs back on the adjustment paddles? Is it possible one of the springs fell into the intake? They fall out very easily when taken apart like they were.I really must say it sounds like a box of marbles. You sure you did not drop anything into the intake? Have you inspected the plugs and taken a compression check? You need to back track a bit and check the basics and be sure all is OK before you run it again.

12. Chris71Mach1

Chris71Mach1 Insider

United States
    Map
    in response to that video that Lazy in AZ dropped here in the thread a few posts ago...

first off dude, congrats for even having the bike running after your first carb tear down with so little experience with this bike....yea the carbs arent synched, but BFD, theyre not going to be after a tear down like that....a set of vaccuum gauges or a quick trip to a shop will solve that problem right out.

more importantly, i think i heard a sort of funny noise from the right side of your bike that wasnt exactly the knock youre hearing, but instead a noise that i recognize out of my own bike. it almost sounds like a passage or puff of air, almost coinciding with the firing of the cylinders, over toward the right side there....almost as if it were inhaling air a little with each cylinder fire. do you hear this in your bike too, or are my ears just playing tricks on me? if you do hear it, have you got any idea what it could possibly be?

13. supertex

supertex New Member

Chris,
    Most likely from where an emissions hose was attached. I see your in TX; are your carbs from there as well? Or do you think you might have CA carbs. I tracked down that exact sound and didn't find it until I felt it puff on my hand.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  14. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Sounded a bit loud, almost like the spark plug was not in all the way.

15. Lazy in AZ

Lazy in AZ New Member

Map
    Very good observations by all!

Sorry I haven't been on here in a few days. Been crazy busy around here and I've barely been able to check my emails and keep up on Facebook!

Quick update, I got the bike temp tagged and drove it up to school under it's own power twice now. The first time was Wed night, it took a bit to get it fired up - as usual - but after I got on the freeway she ran great and was very smooth. When I got off the freeway, 43 miles later, it idled without hesitation - although it was around 1800 rpms with the idle backed all the way out and slightly erratic. The point of the ride was to get it into Clinic 5 to do the carb sync and adjustment, but class was major busy and it didn't happen either night. The ride today was much better than yesterday and I can tell that the extra crap that I didn't get out of the carbs (passageways and whatnot) is definitely cleaning up as the fresh high test is running through it. The 1st tank gave me about 35 mpg (not bad all things considered) and I'm happy to say that there are no other mechanical issues that I can tell of on this baby! Yay!

So, the instructor believes that the bike can be done Friday night - crossing my fingers cause I'm gettin kinda annoyed with spending a few minutes cold starting her after class when it's 55 degrees and everyone else is up and gone out the driveway by the time I get her running! LOL

To answer your guys' questions:

Dukie - that's a good point, cause I had trouble getting the damn plug to seat properly even after borrowing a friends deep well 18mm socket to get in there. The rest threaded fine, but that one just didn't seem to go down as far as the rest, but i'm not hearing any compression leaking from it there, so I don't know... every one of the plugs sparked on testing.

Supertex - I've got a thermo gun, will check the pipe on #4 and compare to the rest.

Toe Cutter - Nothing fell into the intakes, positive on that one. I did have a fallen spring that I'm pretty sure I put back on the proper spot (could see the wear marks on the metal that matched the spring pattern. However, the choke cable isn't retracting 100% and seems to need an additional spring to make that happen (haven't done that yet and didn't check for operation of it prior to disassembly so it may have been an issue developed from sitting. All cables have had Dri-Slide applied to them.)

Chris - Yes, we did notice that after we got it fired up on the cold start, it tends to dissipate after its ran for a while but it does seem that it's suckin extra air and pushin it through. Not sure wtf that's about (some have told me it cause the carbs aren't sync'd yet and others have said its cause of the California Emissions System). After the sync and adjustment I'll check and see if it's still there and get back to ya. Oh, and when it was makin that noise more pronounced the first few times I got it running, I cupped my hands about 6" from the pipes and the right exhaust was definately pushin more air than the left.

I've got to say that riding this thing is the coolest shit EVER! Even with it not at 100% I'm in awe and lovin every minute of it! Handles better than ANY other sport bike that I've driven and gets tons of looks as I'm riding along. Practically everyone at school was like "Holy shit... is that an '86??? It's so damn clean!!!" :tongue: Major ego trip! Even when I tell them whats wrong with it and point out the little blemishes they could care less. Try getting that kind of reaction out of a Hurricane or an old GW. Not likely.

I've got my kids this weekend, so aside from taking them for a spin around the neighborhood (promised to them when I bought it) and presenting it on display at my bike clubs meet up at Scottsdale Pavilions Saturday night, I'm not gonna do any major riding with it. However NEXT weekend... I'm thinking a trip to Prescott for lunch may be in order! :biggrin:

16. Dukiedook

Dukiedook New Member

Map
    Hmmm... #4 plug hole could be slightly cross-threaded if it isn't going down properly, I wouldn't ride this thing too much until you sort out this issue with #4.
    Keep it strictly to test rides.

Either put a little oil on your plug threads or light anti-seize when you put those plugs in, will help the process and hopefully cut down on potential cross-threading.

Also, buy the Honda spark plug tool for this bike, it will make the job of removing/replacing spark plugs a whole lot easier- I bought two- one for the tool bag and one for the tool box.

17. Lazy in AZ

Lazy in AZ New Member

Map
    Update... yeah, I suck at keeping up online now a days. School's bustin my ass with this week being Performance Week where we have to do 24 projects in 5 days and it constitutes 75% of our total grade. So far I've only got 4 left to do, 2 majors and 2 minors. I've gotten 100%'s on all but one of the projects I've done, forgot to tighten down a stupid rimlock and that cost me a 50% on the Front Wheel Tube Type Tire change. Oh well. I can bust down a front end on an '06 Rebel down to the steering bearings and put it all back together again with a brake service in 2 hrs 45 mins fully functional! :first:

Ok, enough about school. Lets talk VFR for a moment...

So, the plugs are fine - well seated and pipes running at normal temps on all 4 cylinders. Right side exhaust is about 20 degrees cooler than the left but I'm told thats cause of the emissions crap on the bike and nothing to worry about.

The tapping noise comes and goes - some days it's not there, other days you can make it out slightly but it's nowhere near as bad as it was before. Adam, my Clinic 1 instructor, recommended using Techron Concentrate and adding 1 oz to 1 gallon for the next 5 tanks to eliminate the carbon buildup and junk thats accumulated inside the engine. After 2 tanks I've not only noticed an increase in available power, but it's moved up from 32 mpg on the 1st tank to 39 mpg on the second (and that's with the carbs still messed up). She's slowly getting herself back into form internally, but I know that a full breakdown - especially a top end - is in store by winter.

And my buddy Josh finally got her into Clinic 5 on Friday night to do the carb sync... that didn't go so well. Turns out that my half assed attempt to clean the carbs and not do a thorough soak and break down of the entire system resulted in the slow jets being 70% clogged and explains why the bike is erratic at low end rpm's and in 1st gear. It'll start, and it'll run... it's just relying a bit much on the mid-range jets than it should be. So, I've got an appointment to visit my buddy Joe in Glendale on Saturday morning to pull the carbs and blow out the slow jets. He's graduating in June, so unlike my Harley-fixin-wanna-be-mechanic Greg, I actually trust Joe when he says he knows how to fix it right the first time :smile:

Oh, one other thing. Kind of a side note for this thread, but since I'm lazy and don't really feel starting a new thread is warranted.... that cool little Energizer battery that I bought from Checker last month took a shit on me on my way home from school Tues night :frown: Yup, the cluster dimmed out, lost my headlight and she just fizzled out to nothing. Clutched in and she died. Luckily I spent the extra cash and got full coverage with Roadside Assist and was able to have it towed the 18 miles to the house at 2:00 in the morning :yawn:

So, I pulled the battery when I woke up yesterday and tested it. It was reading 12.6 volts, but the Amps fluctuated from .09-1.2 mA which completely confused me. I checked the fluid levels and all were at the high mark. Thats when I noticed that the plates inside the battery were black. Cooked battery. I can only assume that with all of the hard starts trying to get it running over the past few weeks that it put such a strain on the battery that it just gave out. This was confirmed when I took it back to Checker and they put it on their machine. Under load, this battery that is supposed to have 400 CCA's only produced 84 CCA's. KFC crispy. Oops.

I got a new battery from them, it's chargin in the garage as I type and has been since I got home last night. After I hook it up I'll check my charging system and make sure that everything is working to spec. I also have to check the ignition wiring because when i put the key to lock the brake light comes on and I'm not cool with that.

I think that's all for now. Yeah, pretty sure. Hope your all doing good on your side, and I'd like to take a moment and thank each and every one of you for reading and commenting on this from the start. You've been a big help, and knowing that my little adventure here has intrigued and inspired so many of you it pretty damn cool. I'm thinkin of taking a friends advice and starting a blog covering my experiences at MMI and the do's and don'ts encountered there - as well as updates on my '86 of course :tongue:

Again, thanks for reading and I hope you have a great week!

18. Dukiedook

Dukiedook New Member

Map
    Good to hear it is running better, you are recharching your battery with a charger that puts out 1.5 amps max, right?
    Have you checked the output of your R/R running to make sure it isn't doing any frying?

19. Lazy in AZ

Lazy in AZ New Member

Map
    It's on a Battery Tender trickle charger, Dook. I haven't done ANY checking of the bikes electrical systems at all. Everything was functional so I didn't see the need to mess with it and break something thats not broke yet. So much for that theory, huh? I'll do some probing and let ya know.

20. Lazy in AZ

Lazy in AZ New Member

Map
    green light on the charger, so I put the new battery in and it started right up.:bounce:

Now I've got to take a trip to the store... in the Contour not on the bike... and get a new 9V for my multi-meter so I can check everything out and make sure that its doin what it's supposed to do.