Mystery VF500F Countershaft Part

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by dfalk, Sep 17, 2017.

1. dfalk

dfalk New Member

United States
    Hi folks! Hoping for a bit of help with something that's been bothering me all day.

I had a chain master link failure while riding my 85 VF500 (fortunately going pretty slow). When I got the bike home, I find what appears to be a piece of steel wedged between the chain, front sprocket, and the engine. After pulling off the front sprocket, I also pull out this:

[​IMG]

After flattening it a bit:

[​IMG]

My assumption was that it was a plate to hold in the countershaft seal. But looking at the BikeBandit parts diagrams, I don't see anything like it at all. Looking at it closer, it doesn't look factory; more of a homebrew fabrication. Even stranger, the engine only appears to have one tapped hole for it, while the plate has two mounting holes. I've tried searching the web for photos of the engine case behind the front sprocket to see if there are supposed to be tapped holes there, but can't find anything hi-res enough.

Note the tapped hole on the right of the shaft, and the bit of metal shaved off the case on the left:
    [​IMG]

There was a bead of black RTV between the plate and the case, too.
    Sooo....anyone ever see anything like this before? If this isn't OEM, what could the previous owner have been trying to do? Hold in the countershaft oil seal? Hold back a leak?

2. vegaquark

vegaquark New Member

Spain
    Yup... A bad try to hold back a leak... You should try to fix that properly... Remove all rtv and replace the seal...