Need advice!

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Alatron, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Alatron

Alatron New Member

Hey guys,

Unlike the majority of users on this site, I don't actually own a VFR. However, I am looking at a used one and I need some advice before purchasing.

First of all, the bike is a yellow 1999 model with 16000 kms, but the seller tells me it's a 2000. The frame says 1999 so I'll put my trust in that. Anyway, I asked him to start the bike for me and he did, but to my surprise, he used the choke and it was 24 deg C out. I thought the '99 models were fuel injected and had a choke lever for cold days?! Maybe I'm completely wrong. The bike is in showroom condition except for some small scuffs on the right side where it was dropped. Oh, did I mention...the bike is yellow and looks freaking amazing!! He's asking $5500 (trying to talk him down), but I live in Newfoundland and used bikes seem to hold their value.

Maybe someone can confirm if the 1999 models are fuel injected and have a choke on the handlebars.

Thanks in advance.

2. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    The choke is really a fast idle lever and you are right the 1999 model is fuel injected.

3. Alatron

Alatron New Member

That's excellent news. I hated the choke on my Honda 599. I think the 599 might be the pickiest bike in the world when it comes to starting.....

Maybe you can give me an honest opinion since you own a '99 VFR800. My first bike was a 2004 Honda 599 but I hit gravel going into a tight corner last month and low sided off of the road. The worst part was that the shoulder of the road was a large hill and the bike went flipping down it. Needless to say, I'm out a motorcycle. So as of last week I've been on a hunt for a new bike. I wasn't even thinking about a VFR until I saw one on a local used ad site. They look and sound amazing. Plus, they're more comfortable than my 599. So, with a year of riding on a Honda 599 is the VFR800 an appropriate upgrade?

4. Dave Noel

Dave Noel New Member

Map
    Hey Alatron, what part of Newfoundland are ya from?

I just picked up an '07 a month ago, my experience with motorcycles before that was dual sport and offroad. It took me no time to get used to it. The first day I put close to 500 driving back to Gander and farting around on side roads, by that time I was completely at home in the saddle.

As far as sand on a turn and low siding it, don't matter what you ride in the sport bike category you are going to do a little dancin. IMO

5. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Hmmm.... that's a tough question since you say you have 1 year experience riding. The VFR has more than enough power to get you in trouble and I would ONLY recommend it if you can honestly say you have good self-control. Otherwise, you'll find yourself twisting the wrist and getting way over your head. For your info, my VFR is my 1st bike ever though I did ride a Kawasaki 636 a few times before and that was just my buddy's bike. So far I've logged over 31K miles in a 2 year span with the only incident I dropped the bike at a gas station. I attribute this to progressing in baby steps, the first month I only rode on weekends and rode pretty slow, even cars were honking at me.

With that said, if you think that you're up for the task, I recommend at least for the 1st month only ride the bike up to 5K RPM and just get familiar with how it handles, brakes, accelerates, etc... Then the following month you can get up to say, 7K RPM. Most important of all NEVER get over your head. The moment you feel like you're getting scared/nervous just slow down right away. There's always tomorrow to try again.

6. Alatron

Alatron New Member

I'm from Conception Bay South. Am I correct in assuming you live in Gander?

I was initially a little worried about the size and power of the bike. My 599 had 95 hp and was about 70 lbs lighter, so I'm not sure how the VFR is going to feel. How do you find the bike in the twisties?

I know that gravel in a corner is a potential problem for any bike and I don't mind doing a little dancing...as long as it's not off of the road.

7. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    So how many years (riding seasons) have you been riding ??

The VFR is not for inexperienced riders.....too heavy and too top-heavy in slow speed situations and with lots of expensive plastic. If you're short or have short legs, it's even worse.

8. Alatron

Alatron New Member

When I say first bike, I mean it's the first bike I've actually owned. I have driven dirt bikes and other motorcycles in the past and I feel comfortable enough to move up. As for self control, I'm not the type to really test my limits. I can watch my friends fly by on their 600 super sports without feeling the need to chase them down. :cool:

All in all, my 599 was pretty peppy, it really can pull if you choose to ride in a higher rpm range but I usually drove around town around 5-7k (redlines at 13k). I think the VFR would have a similar amount of power but I don't have one yet and I could be totally wrong.

squirrelman: I've had one and a half riding seasons. I am looking at other 600 class sport bikes (similar to my old bike) but I really like the comfort and look of the VFR.

9. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    It's a very capable bike in the twisties given some good sport tires like the Metzerler Sporttec M3s and a tweaking of the suspension. In the stock form it's not super sharp and really, it's required to tweak the suspension if you want to haul some :moonie: A really easy and free mod is to pull the front forks up 10 mm and crank the rear/front forks to the max settings. The ride will be a little jarring but it's a small sacrifice for performance.

I have a buddy who has a CB 919, a more powerful version of the 599 and I can smoke him in the twisties. But I have to say it's more rider skill than about the bike.

10. Dave Noel

Dave Noel New Member

Map
    From Carbonear but living in Gander now.

I still have a few moments when feet are down and turning hard to get into a parking position that the weight sneaks up on me. I never came close to dropping it but a few wooooos. My other bike is a KLR650 so I am used to top weight. With the VFR once you are moving it is well balanced and you don't notice it.

I like it fine in the twisties and I think our coastal roads here on the Island are some of the twistiest. :thumbsup: