NEED HELP! 1985 VF1000R Fuel

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by LipRipper3006, Jun 14, 2017.

1. LipRipper3006

LipRipper3006 New Member

United States
    New to forum. Fixing up my dad's old Interceptor for fathers day. I have the carb at the local Honda shop being rebuilt while I figure out the rest. My dad parked the bike when I was born because the bike didn't have any acceleration power and it would bog down. He thinks the carb was the problem. I was testing the fuel pump to see if it worked and it was stuck. I read on another forum that a v-max pump was the best way to go. I hooked the battery cable up to another car battery via jumper cables and turned the switch on. All the lights work and the starter turns the engine over. The only problem is that the new fuel pump doesn't pump/prime. I took a probe and tested the wire that goes to the fuel cut relay and found that the middle wire is hot and it didn't sound on the outer two. I replaced the fuel cut relay wit a new one and it still doesn't pump fuel when the switch is turned on. I clipped the connection off of the old pump and tested the wires on the bike. Neither wire showed power when the switch first turned on or when cranking the engine. Where do I go from here?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Jump the fuel cut relay on the harness side to eliminate that potential issue. You "should" then have power to the pump without having to crank the engine, assuming all other wiring is stock and proper.

3. LipRipper3006

LipRipper3006 New Member

United States
    I jumped the harness and got power to the pump wire. Thanks alot.

One more thing! I have a long hose that runs off of the carb. My dad tore most of the fuel and air hoses off years ago and doesn't remember the setup of where they go. There is a long hose that connects to the carb picture below. Do you know if it connects to anything besides the carb? If you don't mind can you send me a picture of how you have the fuel pump and hoses routed on your bike?

Attached Files:

4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    That appears to be the vent tube. It just vents to the atmosphere. My 86 has the bodywork off of it right now but I didn't have time to get to it before work. I'll verify routing and try and get a pic this evening.

5. LipRipper3006

LipRipper3006 New Member

United States
    It can't look any worse than this bike. Here's what I've got to work with.

Attached Files:

6. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    You got some work. My 86 is a 7000 mile example, it just happens to have the body work off right now. I got distracted last night re-assembling the cowl stay, gauges and wiring back together on one of my 86 VFRs and forgot to snap some pics.

Are you going to be able get that particular pump in the right place so everything else can go together?