Need Help setting Float Level. 2nd Gen VFR750

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by slowbird, Feb 20, 2011.

1. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    just get an exhaust gas analysis and be done with all this guessing.

2. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Yea....I was thinking I should find somewhere/someone with a gas analyzer.

Last resort being to take it to a place with a Dyno that measures A/F Ratios

3. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    An Update and some questions:

Put about 300kms on the bike since I last posted. Im getting great gas mileage. Around 42 mpg...almost better than my old VF500.
    I Did a fresh oil change to rid the crankcase of any raw fuel that may have gotten in there from the flooding carbs. Also tossed in some fresh plugs.

The Pilot screws are out another .5 turns with still no improvement. Screws must be atleast 3 turns out now.
    Bike will start with full choke but not easily. It idles for about a minute but it slowly idles down and will die if I don't crack the throttle open a bit.

Any observations on the above?

My questions:
    - The pilot screws are out now atleast 3 full turns. How far out can they go?
    - If the bike is running lean at idle...wouldn't it idle better with choke?

4. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    3-3.5 turns out on the idle air mixture screw would normally be an indication that you need to bump up one on the pilot jet.

If the bike is lean at idle, it would normally idle better with the choke circuit on - if the choke circuit was working properly.

5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Try using the throttle or idle speed screw on warmup and try to dial back the choke as much as you can as soon as you can.

Too much choke for too long can flood plugs with excess fuel and cause engine to die.

6. Dukiedook

Dukiedook New Member

Map
    Yeah, only use the choke to get the bike started, then immediately take it off, you will have to goose the throttle a while the bike warms up.
    All my old bikes are this way and run pretty well once warmed up.

7. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Sounds good boys...I appreciate it.

Thanks!

8. FstaRocka

FstaRocka New Member

United States
    I hope you managed. didnt read everything here, but i also struggled with the ambiguous descriptions from everyone who knew how to do it, ironic! found a gr8 vid on yt showing EXACTLY how to angle the float. (for the record anyhow ill try be as clear as possible)

position the carbs so that the float hangs (vertical) freely from its hings. (ie swinging freely if u lightly shake it). as u move the float towards the shut off position it contacts TWICE before closing off. There is a tiny amount of spring play in the seat - and this is the area of concern. The actual weight of the float (when held upside down) will depress this throwing you off, so afaik u shouldnt set your float settings witht he floats weight fully resting on the seat/needle, but dangle it and tilt it slowly till it stops VERY LIGHTLY against the seat. THIS is your measurement point. If u allow the float to settle completely, the weight of the float will actually make it drop about 1mm -2mm. If u set your measurements here, it willobviously be out (and this is where most newbs will, like me!)

For reference the vid is here and its excellent, it also shows u how to make your own float tool for nothing!

SettingFloatHeight.mp4 - YouTube

Hope this has helped!! nothing worse than going backwards and fwds with carbs!!