Need opinions on vests... be nice

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by PyroMcnoob, Jul 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. rc24rc51

rc24rc51 New Member

Map
    Sorry but you evidently haven't learned anything.

2. monk69

monk69 New Member

I wear a mesh jacket, but this looks a "way" lot better way to go. But at twenty one It's hard to see the lone term type injury..... Monk

3. jay956

jay956 New Member

as long as your aware that this has no abrasion resistance. couple of weekends ago a guy right infront of me went down at about 35mph in a turn. he was wearing a mesh jacket and jeans. jeans looked like swiss cheese, jacket looked fine. i went down at about 45-50mph wearing mesh pants, only got one small hole in them.

4. bigjay

bigjay New Member

Most of the experienced members of sport bike clubs wear their vests over their jackets.. at least the ones here in central cal do :thumbsup:.

5. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    I'm not sure why but nobody will talk to me when I wear my leathers on bike night. Do I look that bad guys???

[​IMG]

Regards,
    Rollin

6. Fizz

Fizz New Member

Map
    My personal favorite is the Joe Rocket Reactor jackets

<<< wearing one here. 3 layer mesh chest/torso, with HIGHLY perforated leather arms/shoulders. Works great even 90+, though, I haven't been wearing it since the leather's all stretched out now is much too large for me.

7. cebuVFR

cebuVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Joe rocket Ballistic mesh jacket.....very good ventilation for hot weather riding. Has shoulder, elbow and back protection.

8. 'Seppi

'Seppi New Member

Can't imagine a vest personally...I only have two jackets - The one I wear on the hottest days here in Ottawa (some of which we've recently had...34C with humidex of 45C) is a Tourmaster 3/4 length which is liveable because it's got vents everywhere.

On the otherhand, getting stuck in my Alpinstars full-thickness, mess interior leather can be a nightmare temperature wise.

Regardless the weather, my safety-yellow Tourmaster does the trick as I won't ride without it under any circumstance.

9. Kevin_70

Kevin_70 New Member

I wear the Alpinestar version of this dirtbiking and these are definitely designed to be worn underneath something.

10. PyroMcnoob

PyroMcnoob New Member

I've learned that every rider equips himself, and the whole point of riding a motorcycle is the freedom to do it your own way. My way doesn't have to be yours. My post wasn't a request for a parental lecture, but thanks just the same

11. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    easy there tiger, unwind or I'll turn you over my knee and give a spanking..... :biggrin: your correct, you can do it your way, if you want to ride in shorts tee shirt and flip flops, please do.....I would tell you that you need to change your gear, every time I saw you, why? Because I care. so when guys on the boards here "chastize" you about gear, it because they care.
    Wearing a vest....go for it...KC-10FE is very opinionated but hey, he's from jersey what do you expect. he also is a motorcycle instructor.. so he gets to see all the statistics on how equipement works.. remember.....we chastize because we care.

Crusty

12. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Every thread on equipment degenerates into this....

There is a spectrum of levels of safety. It is very tiring to listen to everyone on-line who wants to get across a lesson in safety that matches up exactly with what they prefer. I, personally, get tired of listening to safety lessons from the general public (who have never ridden).
    Why can't VFRW be a place we can discuss our own rides without having to be preached to?
    I love you all. Really.

13. Cundalini

Cundalini New Member

Map
    I have a fonzy style heavy duty leather jacket for the winter. Once summer hit here in sacramento and the boiling heat it was too hot and unsafe to ride while risking heatstroke.
    I looked on craigslist and found a tourmaster draft ( mesh hot weather ) jacket that fit perfect for 40$.
    It is not as heavy duty as my leather, but it it has armor on the back, shoulders, and elbows.

I would not ride with a vest, but I am a very cautious person by nature.

If you are riding with just that vest on, keep the shiny side up.

14. cebuVFR

cebuVFR Member

United States
    Map
    i have an icon body armor and also use an elbow protector. downside is it doesn't protect the shoulders and your skin.

[​IMG]

15. Fizz

Fizz New Member

Map
    It's simply because the actions of 'other' riders affect ALL riders.

If you die/severely injured because you wore a skull cap and shorts and flip-flops..... you get the police involved, insurance, family members, doctors, nurses, you have to potentially take a blood transfusion which might limit the supply other people, you might need an organ transplant that takes it from other people, you're no longer there for YOUR family (hopefull you're not the breadwinner), we have one more person that might be getting paid by state disability (MY MONEY), you add to the statistics that make insurance more expensive/people think that motorcycles need to be banned.

I don't agree with Crusty, I couldn't care less if you got hurt because of a lack of gear. I care because it affects me. that may sound selfish but it's the truth; I think you should be free to kill/hurt yourself however you see fit THAT DOES NOT AFFECT ME. Unfortunately given how interdependent society it's impossible to say that something sneezing across the state doesn't affect me in some way... though there's definately some situations that are more direct cause and effect... I think GEAR/Accidents/death/stupidity while on a motorcycle is a perfect example.

I just think it's irresponsible to society to make the CHOICE of motorcycling and CHOOSING to do it without due diligence. You not only detract from the experience of other riders, but you also say to your own family/friends that you DGAF if they might have to suffer as a result of your decisions.

I'm 19 and I've come to these realizations VERY shortly after I started riding; why some riders who've done a million miles still haven't realized this I have no idea.

/RANT

16. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Would have thought the plastic in Daienese armour would be hard enough even if sacrificial to protect you once in a slide and the Motorcross long sleave shirt they wear on top while wearing through in points would hold it together. Would be interesting to see the theory properly tested but it would certainly be a better bet than a T and Vest on a very Hot day.

If your guy in front had been wearing " Draggin Jeans " they would have protected him from wear through as they did a friend of mine who went down at 50mph mind he did receive some friction burns on one leg which bugged him a few weeks.

17. rc24rc51

rc24rc51 New Member

Map
    That was merely a simple observation NOT a parental lecture. So do what ever it is you want to do and don't ask what everbody else thinks. BTW i wear an Alpinestars armoured mesh vest all the time UNDER my Leathers. This after nearly being killed when some asshole on a push bike cut me off cause he didn't want to stop and put his dam feet down. Wanna know what it's like waking up while being airlifted to a trauma center with broken ribs a punctured lung, a broken collarbone and a fractured pelvis? Oh wait sounds like a lecture now.

18. PyroMcnoob

PyroMcnoob New Member

Gotta love it... Thanks to Crusty for makin' me feel welcome and expressing some sort of comradery :) as for the rest, idk...

19. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    It had the word "learn" in it. Sure sign of a lecture.

Your other posts were full of observations. Thanks
    But IMHO the "didn't learn anything" post was over the line. The guy introduced the thread by saying he wanted views on vests and not a flame job.
    If you don't want to discuss vests, go on over the thread about 300 dollar Dianese epuipment.
    I'm takin' off my helmet and stunting up and down the street in front of my house today. Because it is the 4th of July. The birth of the most free state the face of this rock has ever seen!!!!!!!
    (Do you see the downside to being a nattering nanny? Hope you're happy RC!)

20. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    This is amazing. An incredible point of view considering your age. Too bad everyone did not relaize the profound effect ones dicisions make to others in society.

With points of view like this, you just go on boy and rant. I'm listening.

Though I agree with Fizz here, we do live in a society that allows a certain amount of discretion. We cannot regulate everything. Or soon they will be counting the numbers of granuals of salt we use on our potatoes. I can live with that.

Everyone needs to take a long hard look at what they consider adequate protection when they ride. Is it enough on a risk management basis? Cause, after the accident, the injuries and the permanent disabilities, all you can do is look back with the answer and say "it was a good think I wore.... or I shuould have worn...