Need Valve adjustment procedure for 86' 700

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by tbones86, Jun 7, 2006.

1. tbones86

tbones86 New Member

Map
    Does any one have the vlv adjustment procedure for the 86' VFR700 in a PDF file or faxable form they would be willing to part w/. I've tuned just about every diesel engine made since the late 70's, so skill is not the issue; lack of knowledge is. If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it, I plan on taking it in to have carb work done(not that brave & I want someone else to blame) just figured I would take care ot the valve settings myself.

2. vifferj

vifferj New Member

I don't know what sort of carb work you're planning on having done but if it involves the shop removing the carbs get them to do the valves as acess to them with the carbs in situ is severely restricted. You will also need the adjuster tool or end up ripping your hair out as you juggle tiny little sockets and screwdrivers. Pay the shop it's the best money you'll ever spend. ( I do this sort of thing for a living and vfr valve adjustments have been responsible for a lot of the scar tissue on my knuckles) If you really want to do it yourself the Haynes manual is probably your best reference, the workshop manual i have presupposes a lot of knowledge and only really gives specs.

3. tbones86

tbones86 New Member

Map
    You are probably right, Thanks for the reply