NEW (for me) 86 VF500

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Big_Jim59, Dec 22, 2009.

1. matt1986vf500f

matt1986vf500f New Member

United States
    Map
    high? its a honda thats just broke in

2. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    We used to say that about BMWs and it was true but the old air heads where nay so complex! That VF500F is more akin to modern car technology than standard motorcycle fare. There are a few things that kind of give me pause as to its trustworthiness, namely the vacuum actuator on the fuel petcock. I was thinking of disabling it. There is nothing more madding then to be cruising down the highway and run out of fuel because a diaphragm failed in a redundant and unnecessary system. Has anyone successfully disabled this little nightmare in waiting?

I did slosh and slog through the wet, out to the barn, to get the rear end (chain, caliper and rear axle) squared away. I have a whole list of things to do and really, really, really want to ride the little beast! The weather was nice and sunny today but my road is a vast muddy mess (almost got the truck stick a couple of times) so there will be no riding out for a while.

3. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I got a huge fright this morning. It was my intention, since I have to get out for a client meetings, to take both my old radiator and the eBay one to a local radiator shop to get them cleaned and tested. This way I could choose the better of the two. It is pretty cold here (in the low 20s) and in the back of my mind I have been concerned with the state of the coolant currently in the bike. The kid I purchased it from gave me a jug and a half of Honda coolant. He said that he had used it to fill the system after they effected a radiator fix. This kind of talk cuts no ice with me as you never know if they filled the radiator or the crank case with the stuff. To make a long story short. I pulled the radiator this morning and it was full of slush. It remains to be seen if this is now a pile of salvage parts or actually still a motorcycle project. What is really disheartening is I won’t be able to tell until I get everything up and running. It will be when I take my first test ride and get it really warmed up that I will be able to tell if the engine is hosed or not. Bummer! I had this happen years ago when I loved in Oklahoma City. The temperature got down in the single digits and my car's coolant turned to slush just like I found in the bike. It didn’t damage the head of block but I had to thaw it out gradually. I am hoping for the best and still going to the radiator shop.

4. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    If it's slush, I doubt it could have froze hard enough to do damage.

Had you done a compression test on it yet since you picked up this project?

5. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    No, no compression test yet but it is on my list. I'll do it when I pull the carbs and check the valve clearances. I'll have more room to work. I have been wracking my brain, trying to figure out how to warm the engine short of starting it or bringing it into the house. I have to get some antifreeze in the block because it is supposed to be even colder later in the week. I have it sitting in the sun right now and that is helping some.

6. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map

Agreed. I've had this happen several times and it really doesn't do anything. You need straight water that is frozen solid to do any damage. It's not likely that's the case.

7. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    So I take both radiators in to have them evaluated, cleaned and pressure tested. The guy tells me that the one that came off my bike was more worthy of repair than the one I purchased on eBay. The eBay find had a broken return side pipe (the long high one on the right). It looked like someone had tried to twist the rubber hose off and ended up twisting and fracturing the actual tube. (It didn't look that bad in the picture.) The radiator guy said the metal looked thin and corroded. So now I have already pissed away $37 on an unnecessary part. I guess, according to Murphy's Law, if I had only the one if would have been unsalvageable. The good news is I have two fans and two radiator caps.

8. matt1986vf500f

matt1986vf500f New Member

United States
    Map
    the stock radiator fans are junk in my opion, bulky doesnt flow much air i would say find a newer style fan and adapt it to fit on the radiator.

9. maddaz

maddaz New Member

hi i ave started restore one of these but think am gonna ave to forget bout it as i cant find an engine, lovely bike mate

10. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    Keep all the sources watched. Things turn up. It could be your original engine is salvageable with eBay parts. (Just as long as there is no rod poking through a hole in the case!)

11. JamieDaugherty

United States
    Map
    Too bad you aren't in the US as there is a guy giving a VF500 engine away for free!

12. maddaz

maddaz New Member

yea was talkin to him was costing too much to bring over

13. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    My New (for me) VF500F has just turned and bitten me in the butt. I pulled the carbs with the intention of cleaning them and at the same time, fixing the idle problem. Well I found the problem. I was working on the back two carbs, I got one cleaned and moved on to the second. I found the slow speed jet was plugged up. Wonderful, I love to find problems and fix them. I went to pull the slow speed air screw and it was stuck. Not only was it stuck but the screw slot is completely gone. (What the hell is wrong with people?) I have tried everything I know to get that screw out short of drilling and nothing works. I guess I am either going to have to replace that carb body (MAN I Hate the thought of disassembling that mechanism) or I am going to have to get on eBay and purchase a set of carbs with unknown qualities. Anyone got any ideas?

14. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Leave it and don't worry about it. Same thing happened on mine. It's set from the factory so unless you're making an exhaust change or something, just clean the passage with solvent and move on. Not worth the hassle for minimal, if any, benifit.

15. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    Even if the PO cranked it shut? I guess you are right. I have three more to take up the slack. It will probably idle OK

16. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    On my bike, the factory tamper proof caps were still installed over the air screws. After removing the caps, the same carb had the same screw froze. Odds are, you'll be fine. No guarantees, but I'd bet money it's fine. Just get carb cleaner to pass thru.

17. JamieDaugherty

United States
    Map
    I think he's talking about the jet itself, not the adjustment needle. I agree with just cleaning it out and not bothering with replacing the jet. You should be able to get it clean with a small wire (be careful not to clean it too vigorously) and some cleaner and you should be fine.

18. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    It is the adjustable screw that is locked up and the head is destroyed. Because all the other options are expensive and because it will only effect idle on that one cylinder I am going to let it go and leave it alone. It will bug the crap out of me however. All the jets are clean and pass fluid.

19. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    He's describing the screw, not the jet. His post says he identified the jet and it was plugged. The screw was an additional problem.

20. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    sorry, check the time stamps.