New Guy, building a Magna Chopper

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Clark Kent, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

thanks, I put a fair amount of time into just getting the shape/lines just right.

clutch push rod is the right length, I've checked with the slave cylinder slightly unbolted for travel.

This really doesn't make sense. Maybe something is up with the clutch. Guess I'll pull the cover tomorrow and check.

2. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Had to unwrap the front pipe and slice it to change the angle slightly. Here's a vid of the fixed pipes bolted up. It's a bit loud, the leo's will love this thing.

YouTube - Honda Magna V4 Chopper Bobber

And some updated progress pics. I'm waiting on my headlight and I'm still messing around trying to get the clutch to work. Really wish it was cable...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  3. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    I be likin the sound

4. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

So after a couple of days of messing with the clutch master/slave it turns out the clutch itself was just frozen from sitting. Basically I stuck it in 6th gear and pushed the bike holding the clutch until it finally released. Ran it long enough that it would idle with the choke off and rev a little bit, really didn't want to open it up too much considering it's evening and I'm in a nice Philly "gated" community. No leaks, no smoke, everything is decent. Starts to move, but stalls out after a few feet. Carbs might need a thorough cleaning or adjustment for the very unrestrictive exhaust it has.

5. dcompson

dcompson New Member

Great work! Sorry to hear you are out of a job, but looks like you are keeping busy.

6. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Thanks, like I said in the other posts. Always thought a V4 turbo chopper would be very unique.

The job was my choice, I left when my wife relocated. Now it's just trying to nail down a engineering job in a flooded market...

Started looking over the other motor and realized that this thing has two magnetos and two spark boxes. Each coil is individually controlled. This might pose a unique problem when I build a megasquirt unit. I absolutely need spark control when I boost this motor.

7. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Raised the drag bars 1 and 1/4 inch to barely clear the tank on turns. Wired up the Model A plate/tail/brake light. Made some brackets for some small turn signals I got off ebay. Now if I ever get my headlight, I can finish the swap the front forks and finish the front wiring.

Attached Files:

8. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Picked up some cheapo ebay baffles to quiet this thing down some. Dump some sea form in the gas tank and ran it long enough to get the idle set. I get it to move a few feet then it stalls out. We'll see if the sea form clears out the carbs some over night, otherwise it's a tear down and cleaning. I really don't feel like removing these carbs.

Also a fork bag to hide the wiring and connectors on the front. 1 month later and still no headlight, so I've opened an ebay dispute.

Attached Files:

9. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

It DRIVES! Thank good I went with a spring seat and not a solid foam one. And wow does fiberglass wrap stink as it burns out. Bad ignitor was causing it to stall out, now she moves along pretty well and it's still pretty damn loud with those ghetto baffles. I'll see if I can't get a video of it running on all four and moving up the street later.

Can't wait to turbo it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faVZ9gWNVJA

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  10. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Got tired of waiting for the headlight to arrive so I rigged up the headlight from the interceptor, ugly but functional. Took it on a 9 mile test drive, went fine. Rigid wasn't bad, but the rear tire is a bit low and absorbing some of those bumps.

One question, it took forever for the temp to come up and even then it only went to the tick mark on the gauge. Is this normal? I've burped the system, etc to make sure there isn't air in the tstat housing.

11. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    The newer Interceptors are hot running bikes. Not so sure about the older ones. Any idea how old the thermostat is?

12. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    Now I really be liking the soundz

I am not a chopper guy, but I do like bikes.

good on ya bro.

13. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

No idea, suppose it would be a good idea to replace it.

According to the gauge, which really just says cold or hot, it's running cool I would guess. Closer to the C than the H...

Thanks, I still think its a bit too loud for me. I might cut out the baffles and close them up more, put some packing around them, weld them back up and drive them into the pipes.

Headlight finally arrived today after more than a month of waiting. I'm going to weld on the mounting brackets to my good forks, paint the triple tree, and install it on the chopper.

14. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

finally got some time this morning to build a bracket for the headlight, running lights, and the fork bag. I think I may have the light housing and signals powder coated black this winter.

Attached Files:

15. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

And I'm done! Bracket painted, swapped the better of the two fork setes onto the bike, lights are wired up, and here are the final build pics.

Attached Files:

16. lethal Yang

lethal Yang New Member

after you took off the lower tank and fuel pump did you just hook it up with no fuel pump? did you just extended the chain or picked up a new chain?

17. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

It is gravity fed, so no fuel pump. I took out the reserve for a couple of reasons. 1. It looks cleaner. 2. Well it just doesn't fit anymore with how the rear frame is angled. You need to use the larger of the two nipples on the fuel tank to feed the carbs. The other is some sort of breather and will go dry at 1/4-1/2 a tank. The range is now down to 100 miles and unless you cut the tank and weld in a bung to use the sensor for warning you of low fuel, you'll need to pay attention to your miles between fill ups.

I cut up the bracket that holds the petcock and attached it to the rear bracket that the fuel tank bolts to. So the petcock is just under the seat and follows the lines of the top rear frame. I also have the fuel filter there. BTW, I had to move the cross beam that the bottom of the tank bolts to, moved it about 1-2 inches forward.

I have two magnas and an interceptor that I've used for parts. So I took the best chains between them and just used two clip links to extend the chain. I'm buying some white wall tires for inspections and I'm picking up a new correct length chain for the sake of having a new one. I've snapped chains before mid wheelies, etc and it always sucks. For now I just extended it with parts I had kicking around.

18. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    Looks great, sounds great. If I had the skills that is about what I'd do.

Might post this over on vfrd.com too, lots of wrenchers over there that would appreciate this.

19. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

20. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    That came out nice. It is neat to see a chopper that has a V4. BTW, is there a kickstand in the works, or does the 2x4 accompany you on rides? :smile: