New rider

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by BR.vfr, Sep 10, 2017.

1. BR.vfr

BR.vfr New Member

United States
    hey everyone, I'm a new rider and we'll it happened already. I low sided my bike on my way home trying to avoid a car. I'm fine just a couple of bumps and bruises (I had gear on). My bike on the other hand has seen better days.
    I have a 96 vfr 750 streetfighter
    Any tips and advice to get my baby back on the road would be greatly appreciated. I have no motorcycle mechanic experience, but I want to tackle this myself thank you

Attached Files:

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    smartest thing would have been to take a riding school first ! :Cry: you got an expensive lesson already.

duccmann likes this.
  3. BR.vfr

BR.vfr New Member

United States
    I did, but I've only been riding for half a year. I was in the middle of turning into a street when a car tried to pull out left. I straightened the bike out to avoid the car and leaned again to avoid the curb, but lost traction.

4. lone_wolf

lone_wolf New Member

United States
    That sucks. Too bad that happened but don't be too hard on yourself. Things like that happen to new and experienced riders.
    You were wearing gear and that is one of the best things you can do.

If you haven't already inspect and take down notes about what is okay with the bike and what isn't. Then just go from there. Address the most important stuff first that make the bike go. Save cosmetics for last.

derstuka likes this.
  5. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi and welcome to the MadHouse

That is a tough start to your riding career.

Please don't let it put you off. Focus on the positive points - your gear worked and you walked away.

Now take your time before committing to repair, it may not be the best answer for your wallet.

In truth the majority of VFR street fighters come about as the aftermath of previous accident damage - so the structural integrity of that bike may have already been seriously weakened from prior incidents - not just your crash.

So if you really "have no mechanical experience" - before committing to a repair PLEASE get the bike checked over by a motorbike mechanic.

In addition to damage to the radiator and mounts it looks like the forks have taken a whack - but it is virtually impossible to assess a bike simply using photos from the other side of the pond. A major concern is if the frame is damaged or distorted. As the bike has no fairings any decent mechanic should be able to assess that quite quickly = even if it costs a few beer tokens.

Not wanting to dampen your enthusiasm, but for a bike of that vintage you really need to do the sums - as the cost of repairs and sourcing parts might exceed the cost of a decent ready to ride replacement. You also need to consider where it is better financially, to dismantle the current bike, sell off the serviceable parts, and put the funds towards a replacement bike and new safety gear.

If your confidence also took a beating during that crash - consider doing an advanced rider course. Good ones are rarely cheap but they should help sharpen your risk awareness. I have no idea what is available in Utah - but hopefully others can suggest courses you might consider. If you were this side of the pond, I would strongly recommend signing up for one of the weekend courses run by the local motorbike gendarmes - which are brilliant and thanks to state subsidy cost not much more than a decent meal. OK you will get the usual advice on beer and excess speed, but the courses are run by professional riders who know how to use their machines and certainly don't hang about when they need to make progress. The practical riding elements of the course were excellent stressing the importance of getting the bike line and positioning right, and just as importantly understanding when to hold back or when to use your gears and all the horse power available to minimise the time you send in the Kill Zone on the wrong side of the road.

Take care let us know how you get on.

SkiMad

A.M likes this.
  6. BR.vfr

BR.vfr New Member

United States
    Thanks guys, ive never ridden without gear because you just never know what's gonna happen. This crash was just from a trip to wingstop during a study break.

looking over the bike the main problem is the forks and radiator, and overflow reservoir. The bike still starts up fine, everything else is just little things here and there. I've worked on my own cars before and I would like to work on my bike. With the forks are there any good after market set that would give an improvement?
    And in the third photo, I can't find where that piece (I don't know what it is sorry) is mounted to

I also bought this bike for 1k clean title so I don't mind putting some money into it

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  7. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Hello and welcome to the World! You can be anything you want here, even a unicorn! I am glad to hear you are ok after your mishap, as mishaps with cars don't always end up nicely. You sound like a good lad with your head on straight (in regards to ATGATT and MC safety). Get back on the horse (once the horse is mended) and keep the rubber side down brotha!

Brrrrraaaaaaaappppp....

A.M likes this.
  8. BR.vfr

BR.vfr New Member

United States
    Thanks man, and I'm diffidently getting back on two wheels as soon as I can.

A.M likes this.
  9. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

As mentioned, this can happen to anyone. :(
    Heck, I had another serious close call yesterday morning and I put about 25,000 miles on my moto each year.

Gear gives us a better chance at coming out alive or not seriously injured, so I'm glad to hear you made it out okay.

So...WELCOME and good luck with trying to find out how to put your moto back together.
    You will find some great help here!
    skimad made some great points, but with the price you paid for it I can see you wanting to try to fix it back.

10. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Take a look at the aftermath of my lowside. http://vfrworld.com/threads/and-so-it-begins.52776/. I too was ATGATT, as that is the only way I ride!

Long story short, the frame checked out ok by the forks were toast! I was able to piece everything back together and have it up and running and even took it to the track last week.

11. BR.vfr

BR.vfr New Member

United States
    Glad you were able to get back, and nice riding!
    Just ordered my new forks so hopefully I'll be back soon.
    One question though, I don't have to completely disassembled the handle bars to replace them right?

12. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Thanks.
    As far as the handle bars go, you can keep the clutch/brake lines and wiring connected.

13. PetePower

PetePower New Member

Australia
    Map
    Remove wheel and brakes, Loosen the top and bottom triple clamps and shocks should slide out
    Good to hear you found replacements

14. BR.vfr

BR.vfr New Member

United States
    It's all fixed up now, just in time for a birthday ride.
    Thanks everyone for help and support

PetePower likes this.