New Shorai for good price $$??

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by rvmiller, Oct 15, 2014.

1. rvmiller

rvmiller New Member

United States
    Map
    I had been nursing my battery for the past year. I started having issues last year on my trip to the Dragon; my bike would not start in the cold.. I bought a trickle charger and then finally had to jump start my VFR. Ever since then I have had to jump-start my bike half the time; had to on this past Sunday while refueling... Thank goodness for nice cagers w/jumper cables.

Anyways... I have been looking and really did not want to spend $200 but I knew I was better off buying quality vs a cheap piece of junk. I checked all the premier sites and they all had the same price or higher than "Shorai" I went on EBay not really expecting anything. Found a Private seller with a Brand new Shorai "buy it now" $148 plus $10 shipping, but it had the "Make Offer" option. I offered $128, and there was @ ten " Watchers " ...

I got the counter-offer response of $135 on Tuesday morning. Well, I now have a brand new Shorai that I paid $145 (shipped) and I got it today! I will install it Saturday morning

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My 1st impression- this battery weighs Nothing!!

Ride Red!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  2. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    MAKE SURE your charging system is up to snuff.

3. rvmiller

rvmiller New Member

United States
    Map
    Did that... The battery was fine once I got back to Florida but has degraded over this last year.

Ride Red!

4. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Got a voltmeter installed?

5. rvmiller

rvmiller New Member

United States
    Map
    Negative

Ride Red!

6. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    That might be a good idea to make sure your charging system is putting out safe voltage for that large investment in battery.

7. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    Hope it works for ya as you want. It looks good if it delivers as advertised on the box.
    I'm on only my 3rd battery (OEM and 2 replacements) since 2000. The replacements were both from Batteries Plus.

8. rvmiller

rvmiller New Member

United States
    Map
    I have had my VFR for over 2 years, and I am the third owner. Not sure how long the current battery was in there but it is def an old school type. I have doubled the miles that the first two owners put on the bike, and my VFR has basically been trouble free & I did my homework before I got it and I do pay attention/listen to most of the Gurus on VFRworld.

Ride Red!

9. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Check out this thread on VFRD, in particular post #4 from Mohawk. Link: My Local Dealership Quit On Shoria/ballistic/all Lithium Batteries....

Also fellow VFRW member VT Viffer had a Shorai grenade on his bike frying his CDI. Link: 1996 VFR750 odd no start - PLEASE HELP!!

Not trying to scare you away from your purchase or saying Shorai is garbage. I'm sure there are plenty of satisfied customers. As others have suggested make sure your bikes charging system is up snuff. If Shorai recommends a particular charging process for long term storage, follow it!

10. rvmiller

rvmiller New Member

United States
    Map
    Long term storage? It's 80 degrees outside...

Ride Red!

11. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    I hope your sweating your balls off! :) Sorry its nearing the end of riding season around here. Read the fine print is all I'm saying. Hopefully you get many trouble free years from your new battery.

12. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    I've put 13,000 miles on an MMG Lithium Ion battery since April this year with no issues whatsoever. I installed a new regulator/rectifier at the same time from wiremybiike.com as the old one wasn't charging properly. I also tightened ALL connections between the stator, R/R & battery. Mine charges 13.8 volts at idle (1300 rpm) and 14.3-14.5 at speed (depending on what electrical I'm using). The MMG LiIon states it MUST be charged between 14 & 15 volts as any less will not charge properly & more will damage the battery. Double check if the same for your Shorai.

They seem to be an excellent battery, but I think most problems are related to improper charging. I highly recommend you get an onboard volt meter!

13. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

Hey Rob, My 07 came with that Shorai installed by the PO, I purchased the bike about three years ago and the battery has been perfect so far. I have accidentally left my led's on all night a couple of times and had to charge the battery in the morning and the battery would come up so quick that I could start up in ten to fifteen minutes! So far so good:eek:nthego:
    John

14. rvmiller

rvmiller New Member

United States
    Map
    New vs Old

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big difference between the two batteries. I used three of the foam shims to make a secure fit in my VFR. The bike fired right up. I will provide an update in a couple of weeks after I get out and ride in our Florida "fall/80°" season... :cool:

Ride Red!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  15. rvmiller

rvmiller New Member

United States
    Map
    No more Starting issues since installing the new battery. There has been a few cold days and my VFR fires right up now/every time. I went on a fairly long group ride and one of our riders was having starting/ battery issues and I strongly recommended the Shorai to him

Ride Red!

16. Superskip

Superskip New Member

United States
    Map
    Shorai is good - installed one on a Suki gs 500 couple years ago, with Shindegen (sp?) r/r, and a voltmeter ... very quick starting on what had been a troublesome pos.