New to boards, w/?s of course!

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by LeftCoastThug, May 29, 2005.

1. LeftCoastThug

LeftCoastThug New Member

Hey all! Just wanted to say hello and drop some questions. My name is Scott and I have an '86 VFR-F 750 in fairly good condition. It runs well, has a sticky throttle at times, but over-heats while sititng still (dumped coolant first time and freaked!). There are also is some rust here and there (live in MD...swamp land/salty coast).

I have seen a few pages on some 86s that have been modded, and that is what I want to do. My problem is that my local dealer does not seem to be able to get the stuff I want/need, any on-line sources anyone know of that have basically everything? :)

Again, hey and thanks in advance.

Scott

2. Jim1970

Jim1970 New Member

Hello,

I'm tagging onto this post as I'm in a similar position. Just picked up a 1986 VFR 700 with 31,000 miles on her -- my first sport bike -- and I'm in love. However, I will want to change/add/modify some stuff, so I'd like to know where to find what I'm looking for.

Thanks!
    James

3. mozilla.v4snob

mozilla.v4snob New Member

Hey, Welcome to the wonderful world of VFR. Sorry to disappoint but the aftermarket companies don't support our bikes very heavily anymore. There are a few bits and pieces available if you look. Any particular parts you're looking for? Ebay is the best bet for finding original parts that don't require you to sell organs to raise money for them. Most honda dealers can order custom parts for you but you'll have to do most of the footwork yourself to find part numbers and check compatibility. The boards here are a great source of info, but we're all so busy riding that it takes a long time to get a response to your questions. Again, if you have specific parts questions, post them here and somebody's bound to know the answer. Good Luck, ride safe

4. waldrm

waldrm New Member

Chuck Crites at Cobalt racing can hook you up with any body parts you may need; eBay is the best place for odd bits and exhaust. For the F2 wheel and brake upgrade, you can also collect those pieces on eBay but I happen to have a complete F2 front end (41mm forks) and rear wheel with brakes. The F2 stuff gets you into 17" tires where there is a bigger selection and you can run a 160 on the rear.