New to me 87 Interceptor f2

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by RyanBowen, Mar 19, 2018.

1. RyanBowen

RyanBowen New Member

United States
    Hello all, this is my first post here. I recently bought my first bike and it’s a work in progress. I bought it not starting and basically just a frame with a motor with 10,000 miles. I now have 2 bikes that I’m Frankensteining together. I got it to run but I’m pretty sure it’s got a blown head gasket. White smoke pours out of the exhaust on the left side. Does anyone know where to get a top end set for it? Or does anyone know of any tricks of the trade to fix this one? I’ve heard of copper spray but I don’t know if it will fix a blown gasket. The bike runs great, it just starts to misfire and pour smoke after about 30 seconds. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Overheated, blown-gasket heads may warp, and on a VFR, surfacing the head is not possible with the gear drive. check ebay for used parts.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  3. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    I believe you can find new gaskets on eBay. Possibly a used head if you need one.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

4. Nissn

Nissn New Member

United States
    I had the same problem with my 700f back in the day.
    1st step it to pull the offending head, inspect it, and have it pressure tested. There's always the possibility that the head is fine and gasket failed because of age. If I remember right the only parts needed to reinstall the head are, head gasket, valve cover gasket, and exhaust crush rings.(all still available on ebay)
    I maybe forgetting something but I don't remember costing more than 200.00 for parts.
    I think I still have a repair manual. If you need torque specs or diagrams let me know.

5. RyanBowen

RyanBowen New Member

United States
    Thanks! I’ll be pulling it apart this weekend. Anything that can help I appreciate. I’m mechanically inclined, this is just my first time owning a motorcycle so it’s all kinda new to me. Anything I should be looking out for in particular? Thanks again in advance.

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    don't even remove the first bolt without reading and studying the service manual FIRST !

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  7. Nissn

Nissn New Member

United States
    If you've not done this type of work before just make sure you document everything well. Take a lot of pictures, and organize the bolts and misc parts in a way that makes it intuitive to put back together. I use Ziploc bags for bolts and write on them where the came from. I also have a 6 shelf shelving unit in my shop that I only use for staging projects like this. And Squarl is right it would be a good idea to study a manual before you start taking things apart. Send me a pm and I'll see what I can do to get you the pars of the manual you are likely to need.

8. RyanBowen

RyanBowen New Member

United States
    Thank you guys so much for the tips! This forum really lived up to the expectations! I’ve got most of the stuff and know how to do the job, but manuals definitely make it easier. And advice from people who know bikes makes it that much easier to learn.