New to Riding, Got My Dream Bike!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by VFR_Beeline, Sep 28, 2014.

1. VFR_Beeline

VFR_Beeline New Member

Thank you OOVT I appreciate that... It's been tricky trying to find a place with quality and selection for the ladies.

Duccman Thanks haha im glad you enjoyed my journey!

I really appreciate all of your guys' advice and help. I'll be looking into the classes you've all recommended and the gear will be a tricky endeavor but you guys sure have given me some good tools :) I'm really glad I decided to post here I've been a little lost since I found out I'm in love with a unicorn.... ugh.... haha XD

2. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Wild story Bee! Hello and welcome to the madness. I hope you take good care of your new girl (or guy). Does your baby have a name yet?

3. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    Welcome to the madhouse Bee. Be sure to put many miles on your new love, and be sure to post plenty of pics of your adventures, we love to hear about and see other people's rides!

As you can already tell, most of us around here are pretty helpful, so don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Lastly, go ahead and put it on your calendar now, but around every Memorial Day weekend, we have our annual vfr pilgrimage to Reg's place in Atascadero.

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I found the name of the place in San Clemente...http://www.scridersupply.com/ Not sure what their inventory is like but a few riders from OC thought they were a good shop.

Cheers

5. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    I just got my girlfriend outfitted for riding at my local cycle gear. $350 ish for lid, jacket, pants, and boots (I already have a spare pair of gloves) pretty much all Bilt gear, but it all looks high quality. They had a good selection of women's gear. Bilt may not be the best, but Bilt pants and boots are many times better than casual jeans and sneakers...

6. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map

Well, this former San Clemente man can tell that he doesn't recommend them for selection. Let me clarify....they are not a bad place, just ok, with poor selection.....not at all good enough to drive from Vista for. Very small shop, supplies, and apparel selection. Plus the squidlies seemed to be their main clientele whenever I seemed to stop by. I have been there quite a few times (usually for chainlube), and I even had a tire swapped out. The dude working there really scratched the hell out of it and mounted it the tire backwards at first. He was very polite to me, just not to my wheel. lol It was sad because I wanted so bad for my only local shop (Since Powersports in San Juan Capistrano went belly-up) to be my savior. One good thing (if you need your bike washed) they offer a bike wash every so often. Good peeps for that.

My advice for Bee is to go close to you at North County House of MotorCycles, or Escondido Cycle Center, or North County Yamaha in Escondildo..........OR if you really really want unmatched store selection (with bad service), go to Chaparral Motorsports in Craphole-a-dino. Say what you want about their service and prices, but no place I have been has the selection on hand to try on. I occasionally would stop in, try on all kinds of stuff, take notes of the sizes and what I like, and then buy it cheaper online, or once-in-awhile they are the cheapest, or near so.

Funbike Center down by me has a decent girls selection (or used to at least).

Braaaaaapppp...

7. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Good to know then about SCRS. I always forget about Chaparral too. Good call there, might be a bit of a trek too but make a day out of it and could be worthwhile.

8. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey Bee

That has to be one of the most incredible stories I have heard in a long time. Between the rain, winds, and foul weather it sure sounds like you were initiated into the world of hard core motorcycling. Congrats go out to both you and your friend for sticking it out and making the voyage of a lifetime. My 7 year old was reading along with me (well actually he read the story and I listened as part of his school work, since he is supposed to try reading for at least 15 minutes per day) and he kept stopping to say, "WOW Daddy, this sounds like a bad trip with weather like that." He was almost in tears by the time you got to Vegas, he felt so bad for you and your friend having to weather the storm(s) (please pardon the pun) but he was over joyed to hear you made it home. I read the whole post again just now and, though it didn't take as long LOL, it was still as amazing. My son loves to read, and the emotion he put through when reading your story was amazing.

Congrats on on the purchase, the weathering of your first EPIC adventure, and your entrance in to what can only be described as the love of your life and bike of your dreams. May the journey be long, the adventures numerous, the tragedies few and far between, and the ride, well................ THE RIDE OF YOUR LIFE.

Have fun, ride safe, and keep her shiny side up.

9. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    What a great story Bee. My old riding buddy Jerry started riding when he was in his late 40s. His very first bike was a KZ1300, probably one of the biggest, most evil handling, top heavy, bikes I have ever ridden. He hadn't even taken a new riders school. He bought it, rode it home and on the way, in heavy city traffic, it began to pore down rain. Jerry said "I thought, if I survive I have this riding thing licked." I think the same could be said for your adventure.

The fact that you were terrified and rode anyway proves that you were born to ride!

I had a 86 VF500 and it was really a handful in cross winds. My 5th Gen is much more civil.

10. VFR_Beeline

VFR_Beeline New Member

I am so glad i shared my story with you guys XD I can hardly wait to ride with fellow riders like yourselves i can almost taste it! What i didnt mention and Zoom zoom pointed out.... it was sucha hard story to read i can understand your sons anguish getting through that I completely over looked how rewarding it was going through storms that i mentioned... When i was riding through the west country I would say it was one of the most beautiful sites i ever got the privilege to see... Utah peaks with monsoon clouds with the bright sun peaking through a rainbow painted valley... besides the fear taking my breath away that view was worth dying for... It was some of the most spectacular sights i ever could even imagine... im so glad i get to talk about traveling so far on my motorcycle someday im going to be the one in control and riding where ever the wind takes me Ha! Literally ;) one of the things i regret about that amazing trip is not having a GO Pro recording the ride that would have been pretty cool to look back and check out!

Big Jim that sounds like exactly how i felt shes so top heavy some day im gunna tame the beast and ill be riding through rain for fun ;)

Also I wanted to mention I saw derstuka say something about North County House of Motorcycles I def wouldn't recommend them... I had a couple of friends have very bad experiences my brother bought a bike there and the motor blew after only a month of riding it and it wasn't his riding that did it... also they put a buddy of mines rear tire on backward he almost dropped the bike the next day because of it... so Riders BEWARE!

11. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I think Scubalong might have some slightly used woman's gear. He only wore them a couple times.

Bee,

Welcome to the site. We don't have any "stories" here. They are fact. Fact: I don't ride worth a shit technically.
    Fact: I ride in lots of shit weatherly.

Learning from friends is always a nice touch, but I say learning from someone who is being paid to teach you what is right and wrong is your best bet. YOu can find your own habbits after that but will still benifit from getting instuction on basic safe riding.

I've been down your way a couple times. I think I saw you! Do you know my brother? He lives in Victorville Ca.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  12. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Bee..I have a home in UT...did you see any double rainbows? First one I saw was amazing

13. VFR_Beeline

VFR_Beeline New Member

It's funny you mention the rainbow because we did see ALOT of them out there haha

14. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Pretty bitchin huh?......

15. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    Your VFR is a sweet bike. It just feels top heavy to you because you are on your toes balancing it.

While there may not be a huge selection of of women's gear manufactures have come a long way in addressing the female rider's market. At the risk of sounding like a dirty old man "you just can't go wrong in leather!" (We are talking sport bike riding leather and not thin foofoo fashion leather.)

16. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    BTW. Riding in snow is not fun. Another one of those damned facts.

I have ridden in such varied weather the 8 years I have owned mine. Much like you, prior to buying mine, still in the crate, I had never ridden a bike, any bike, ever in my life so this bike got my cherry so to speak. The salesman had to ride it to my home for me. I did not spoon him though. I had my truck.

Back on track here, rain does not bother me. I have the gear for that. Cold does not bother me as I have the gear for that too. On a dry road, I love the wind. That is just a hoot being blown all over the road. OK, I have some issues but I love that windy shit. But wind and rain I don't particularily care for. And I have been caught in the snow too. That is not nice at all. Had to ride it along the freeway shoulder for about 4 miles with my feet out like outriggers so I would not fall over. Pulled into the nearest gas bar where I would be able to park the bike, and down she goes from under me. Fortunately there was enough snow on the ground there was no damage.

I can picture your ride. It is probably the same route I took from Victorville Ca, up to Green River Utah, Fort Collins Co, then I got lost and rode I think in Nebraska, Wyoming, South and North Dakota. Basically I did not know where the fuck I was but I did end up in Bowman ND where I had taken refuge after skirting a couple tornados in I think it was S Dakota. Think I passed the storm chasers going the oother way and I did see a couple funnel clouds drop down but none touched the ground that I saw anyways.

Then I went on my way through Minot ND and on up to Winnipeg then back across western Canada. A little long winded but I wanted to get in that weather riding stuff. I think is is neat....almost orgasmic.

Welcome and ride on, ride safe but ride on li'l sista!

17. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

Hi Bee, great writing/story. Congrats on the new bike. If you can be a little patient with regard to a new helmet purchase the Cycle World/Progressive motorcycle show will be in Long Beach November 14th to 16th, the Arai reps are awesome at fitting the right model helmet for your head shape and size. Evein if you don't buy at the show you will leave knowing which model and size to buy later. As much as I want to ride my VFR to the show to be in the mix with all the bikes we usually drive the cage just in case we end up making some purchases. It's great fun to walk around in the parking lot and check out all the bikes though.
    I'm over in Escondido and tomorrow night is the last night of Cruzin Grand (car show), the last night is always nitro night, they have probably two dozen nitro fueled cars that they parade side by side down Grand Ave. engines running, very cool! If you and any of your friends are interested in this shoot me pm and we could meet up there and check out the scene and talk bikes. My friend/roommate (24 yr old female rider) is joining me, just saying cause I'm thinking she is probably a lot closer to your age. If we don't see you there, keep your eyes open when your out on the road for an 07 rwb with blue under fairing LEDs.,,,,,,,,and be safe:smile-new:
    John

18. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey Bee

Sorry. I should clarify that I didnt mean to sound like my son had a hard time reading your story, quite the contrary, he enjoyed it immensely. He was in tears because he "FELT" for you and the hardships and stress of your ride. By the time he got to the end of the story he was elated that you were able to make it through and persevere. He wants to do an adventure just like it some day, though he did mention he could do without the monsoon part. LOL. My son loves to read, but he generally just goes through the motions if you know what I mean, but every once in a while, when he reads something that really moves him emotionally, the emotion comes through WHILE he is reading. Your story gave him that feeling, and me as well, and THAT is something.

I look forward to reading any future "Ride Reports" and any other stories for that matter. :)

19. VFR_Beeline

VFR_Beeline New Member

Last night for cruising grand?! Damn I wanted to bring my gmc! I didn't even consider that it's already October! Where did the year go?? Haha I'll pm you soon let's meet up maybe Jason can come too... I wish I could ride with you guys... just not yet I'll hit the streets when I'm confident I can get myself out of a jam!! Haha I'll ttyrs

20. VFR_Beeline

VFR_Beeline New Member

I am so glad that you enjoyed the story and you shared it with your family what an honor! I'm so glad I kept most of my potty mouth out of it ;) I will definitely have to post some progressive stories I'm waiting for that peak moment... when I get on the bike and I'm not the least bit.nervous and I finally leave the stupid parking lot I'm beginning to hate my.parking lot that I practice in.... I just want to feel the ride..... ride with my friends ....beat the traffic ..... go for that epic journey.....see the awesome views and feel the wind oh and the smells in the air MMMMMM I can hardly WAIT I feel like a virgin who just learned about sex for the first.time .... I'm chomping at the bit and.I'm.practicing every chance.I.get!! Hahah sorry about typos I'm on my.phone right now