New to vfrworld not new to vfrs

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by 97vfryder, May 28, 2018.

1. 97vfryder

97vfryder New Member

United States
    Map
    Well let me introduce myself. my name is herb and just purchased 2 new to me vfrs and I live in riverton,ut. first one is a 97 vfr750 and second one is a 02 vfr800. Both bikes run and ride. The 97 I had to install new chain and sprockets and tires. The 02 on the other hand needs a little more work . I have to replace the cam chain tensioners fairings headlights turn signals and tires. I have all the parts ordered already just waiting for them to get here. I ordered manual cam chain tensioners and a few other goodies. Looking forward to all the knowledge and advise this site has to offer.

Attached Files:

Samuel likes this.
  2. BTF/PTM

BTF/PTM New Member

Germany
    Welcome!

Ironic, isn't it, that the 97 needs less maintenance than the 2002? Gotta love gear-driven cams (cams are operated by meshed gears instead of sprockets/chain/tensioner, in case you didn't know the difference), and the Gen4 & Gen5 bikes were also simply...well...simpler, fewer peripheral systems to develop problems. I just did front brake rotors on my 98 (which is a Gen5, that's 98-2001), previous owner must have ridden like a grandma, but otherwise I do basic maintenance (including drive chain and sprockets, that's a normal wear item) and she continues to run like clockwork.

There's tons of good information here, everything from maintenance to full custom builds & retrofits, it's a good group. Enjoy!