newbie - anyone have soft bags on a Gen 6 VFR

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by hillbilly, Jul 26, 2007.

1. hillbilly

hillbilly New Member

Hey Guys,

I picked up an '03 red VFR with 3000 miles for $5000 a couple of weeks ago after crashing my '99 BMW K1200RS. I'd like to get it outfitted with some Givi luggage, but the cost is forcing me to wait. In the meantime, I'd like to pick up a decent set of soft saddlebags - however, I'm concerned about the exhaust, etc. Does anyone have softbags? Photos? Recommendations?

Thanks for your input.

2. flameface

flameface New Member

Map
    soft luggage

temporary soft luggage will put non-temporary scuff marks and scratches on your panels. Riderwarehouse sells clear plastic scuff guards that help, but hard bags are definitely easier on the bodywork.

That said, I was pleased with my eclipse bags prior to upgrading to hard bags. They fit well, didn't move around, hold a lot, and go on-and-off quickly.

3. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Ventura Pack systems is the way to go on soft luggage. Been using this for years.
    MD

4. Tori

Tori New Member

United States
    Map
    Get the factory luggage. Nothing else compares.

5. whynot?

whynot? New Member

+1 on factory bags

6. flameface

flameface New Member

Map
    Honda Bags

So how much have folks paid for factory Honda bags? Retail? or will the dealers cut any kind of a break?

7. hillbilly

hillbilly New Member

Dealer gave me a best price of $800 for the bags and mounts. I can get them from GIVI for about $600 from California Sport Touring or Twisted Throttle or Adventure Motostuff. I'm thinking of getting the Givi EN360 bags and standard tubular mounts for $450.

8. flameface

flameface New Member

Map
    Givi

Do you like the looks of the Givi bags? I know they are big, functional, durable, etc. but the looks just leave me cold.

9. hillbilly

hillbilly New Member

Givi makes the factory VFR bags and mounts for Honda. I like the idea of using standard Givi cases because I can mount them on any of my other motorcycles. The specific VFR bags may not.

10. flameface

flameface New Member

Map
    Givi

Since you're going to buy the Givis eventually, a short term approach could be to put the brackets on now, and then hang the soft luggage off the brackets? That way you won't trash your bodywork. Just a thought

11. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    I use a soft Nelson Rigg bag for my long trips and daily needs to and from work. All that is needed to protect your plastic is two pairs of $6 Nike sweat bands. Works just fine and I've tested it for well over 1000 miles now. One thing I am going to do is actually sew the sweat bands onto the straps so they don't move. This past weekend in West Virginia I was riding hard so the bands moved down a little. You could also stand to use a third pair where the straps touch the exhaust shields but the effect is minimal. A couple scuffs that come right out with some good metal polish. Plus exhaust guards can be bought easily on Ebay. It all depends on your comfor level and anal-retentiveness :) Oh and I AM anal about cleaning and maintaining.

I haven't had the need to mount my entire tailbag/saddlebag combo yet so I can't help with that.
    This is almost exactly the same bag: http://www.cycleluggage.com/nelson_rigg_cl800_tail_bags.html

Here's the best photo I have. You wrap the rear straps behind the passenger handles. Works well to keep the bag from ever sliding up. If needed, I can get more detailed photos.

[​IMG]

12. whynot?

whynot? New Member

I used the tail bag before the OEM bags and still use it from time to time. The soft saddle bags were not working verey well as the bike has a wide tail section and can not place them nicely. The saddle bags also lay on the pipes. There was no heat issue but they were not sitting as I would-of like it. Used them once and packaged it nicely togeteher and saved it for some other time or other bike or ebay .. will see.

Givi bags are nice but none of their mount will fit and "hug" the rear of the bike as well ast the OEM mouts do. With the OEM bags on the rear is about 1.5" wider on both sides than the mirrors so I still can line - split if I need to in my every day commute.

Added some links to pictures..(one of these days I wil figure out how to include them on the post but until than you can use the links from below

Cortech sports tail bag (OEM mounts can be seen)
    http://www.gyalay.com/albums/VFR800AK7/images/015.JPG

OEM bags (picture taken from the back)
    http://www.gyalay.com/albums/VFR800AK7/images/019.JPG

13. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
  14. Spike

Spike New Member

Really, if you at all can, just get the hard bags. You'll be much happier overall. And just getting them now is still cheaper than buying soft ones now, and then getting the Givi stuff in what? a year? the money you spend on the soft bags will be pretty much a loss (assuming you would sell them later on EBay to make up some of the money).

15. GTI

GTI New Member

Map
    They are by far the best. Completely waterproof, "good" looks, stable even at the Viffers top speed; I've seen 244km/h(151mph) with mine...

16. Old VFR

Old VFR New Member

Aren't these GIVI bags almost like the honda bags, except for price and color?

17. John451

John451 Member

Australia
  18. GTI

GTI New Member

Map
    Not sure, but I`ve heard that GIVI has designed the factory luggage..

19. goinphaster

goinphaster New Member

I vote for the Factory Bags as well. as for protecting the paint from the bungee's of my tail bag I use the blue painters mask-off tape. it sticks, it protects, it leaves no residue, and it's cheap.

20. hillbilly

hillbilly New Member

I just went to the AMA Superbike races at Mid-Ohio and picked up a set of Tourmaster Cruiser II Large Box type soft bags. The bags are nice and have a zip-off feature so you don't need to yank your seat off. I'll fab a little bracket out of aluminum bar that will bolt onto the passenger footrest and keep the bags off the exhaust. I'll post pics once I get them done.

I was watching and bidding on a black set of factory hardbags with all the mounts and hardware - they went for $560 with blemishes.