No Turn Signals No Brake Lights & No Horn ???? then try this >>>>>

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by 4thGenVFR, Mar 18, 2010.

1. 4thGenVFR

4thGenVFR New Member

Map
    >>>>>No turn signals ? No brake lights ? No horn ? I may have solved Your problem for you.

4th Gen Owners like me and perhaps some other year VFR's , the fuse for turn signals-brake lights and horn are on one single fuse, check that 1st, then if they are still dead and you have checked everything you can think of such as bulbs & brake switches then proceed as I did.

Make sure you check the 2 little tiny wires with female spade plugs on the right side handle bar that attach to the little tiny hand brake switch just under the hand brake lever.

I found those little wire plugs to be a little loose and slightly corroded and causing an electrical break / open circuit , and so killing all the power to even the turn signals ( which also double as front running lights on the 4 gen front signals )

Once I cleaned up those little hand brake switch wires and the females plugs attached to those little wires my turn signals, brake lights and horn all came back on.

Hope that helps if you have the same problem

2. dizzy

dizzy New Member

Map
    While that would fix your hand lever operated brake light...there's absolutely no reason it would fix turn signals or horn. Gotta be a coincidence, or something else you did fixed it and you don't realize it yet. Power branches off from the fuse to those functions in a parallel circuit. There's no way that stuff is wired in series.

squirrelman likes this.
  3. 4thGenVFR

4thGenVFR New Member

Map
    Coincidental fix

True, parallel vs series discounts my fix, but I did not do anything else in that time span on that day.

Of course I could go back and disconnect the two tiny hand brake lever plugs and see what happens, kind of go backwards.

Who knows , I could have knocked around the fuse box under the dash on the same right hand side down under the right hand brake lever were it is mounted and "re-established" the circuit by accident ?

Thanks for your input

4. dizzy

dizzy New Member

Map
    I can tell you from personal experience that if you disconnect the front brake light switch wires...horn and turnsignals will still work. I agree it's likely something you did with the fuse, for example, removing and reinstalling may have fixed the problem. You could try wiggling the fuse box around and check for a poor connection. Electrical can be wierd...glad it's fixed anyway.

5. 4thGenVFR

4thGenVFR New Member

Map
    Happened again

It happened again and it "was" the fuse box / connection were the spade fuse plugs into its respective recess "both" times.

6. OliverTwisted

OliverTwisted New Member

I'm having the same problems on my 6th gen except no hazards as well. do you think your fix will help me as well, beings its not technically the same model. Mine is a 07 abs 6th gen

7. DanV

DanV New Member

Canada
    Just want to say thank you so so much for your write up!! It was exactly as you said... While braking down steep hill I leaned on the bars a bit hard a slowly pushed the brake lever forward/down just enough for the little wire connectors underneath it to touch the riser and dead short. Could even see the little burn mark where it was shorting. So thankful for this page and signed up just to show my appreciation!