Not a favorite topic but a reality none the less

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by OOTV, Jun 6, 2017.

1. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Motorcycle theft!

None of here likes this topic and some of us have been the victim of it, so it is a reality. Motorcyclist Magazine posted an article on motorcycle left . Although there are a few negatives, there is also a small positive, a 40% recovery rate was reported.

To me it's no surprise that CA leads in the number of thefts and San Diego, Los Angels and San Francisco are in the top 10 cities. Also something we all don't want to hear but Honda lead the list of the #1 stolen bike!

Something else to be aware of, theft appears to be more seasonal, probably a bit obvious but from June to September is the time of most theft with August being the peak month. Being it is now June, the season is now upon us, so time to be a little more diligent with our motorcycles and more careful with where and how we park our rides.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/t...1060739404&spReportId=MTA2MDczOTQwNAS2#page-3

Scubalong and duccmann like this.
  2. 01ragtop

01ragtop Member

United States
    Map
    Yep, I posted my experience here when my VFR was stolen. I did get it back, it it was still a total loss.

Insurance company did right by me, but that isn't always the case, I hear.

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

You and a couple of others here had the misfortune of having their bike stolen, I know that you and Alaskan were able to get your bikes back, for whatever consolation that was. On a different topic, knowing that you replaced your VFR with a Triumph, did you here that Triumph will be the Moto2 engine supplier starting in 2019?

4. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

That is the only downside of having a really nice machine. I won't leave mine unattended anywhere. It does take the fun out of it sometimes.

5. 01ragtop

01ragtop Member

United States
    Map
    I did read that. I am a little bummed that Honda is dropping the 600, and a little surprised that Triumph who doesn't have a factory race team is supplying the engines for a whole class of racing. I hope Triumph jumps in with both feet; maybe they'll see the advantage of having the brand prominent in the racing world.

6. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    Last I checked insurance wants an arm and a leg for full coverage.
    Guess it's been a while, over 10 years. They wanted $1,000+ per year to insure a CBR954 I paid $7,000 cash for.
    Made no sense to me so I went liability only. The entire time since I had 2 or mostly 3 bikes. Since nothing got stolen or wrecked, I figure I have saved enough to buy something brand new and expensive. But then I would want to have full coverage on it. Also why are the savings not in my bank? :Confused:

7. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Most recent Honda models sold in Europe have HISS as standard - which has greatly reduced their attractiveness to thieves. I guess Honda omitted the system on US bikes to produce a model to meet a price point - the trade off being US models are far too easy to steal. Was HISS offered as an option in the states?

SkiMad

8. Nelix

Nelix New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    You guys don't get HISS?

9. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    The way the wiring was in mine, the HISS was accompanied with a burning smell.....
    Then Honda rewired it for me for free. :)
    To be honest, I haven't been too worried about theft up here. Probably should think about getting a heavy duty chain and lock maybe.

10. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I have not seen HISS being an option over here in the States. Then again, I haven't shopped for a new bike in many years but looking on the Honda website it doesn't list it either.

11. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I had a KX250 stolen and was lucky enought that my cousin saw it in the next county and we tracked it down and I waited for the police to show then took it home.

Unfortunately the prick blew the engine wringing it out just after a rebuild.

12. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map