Not a Teaser! 1983 VF750F resto project

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Sebspeed, Feb 7, 2008.

1. banderson18

banderson18 New Member

Damn, if i only had a good garage. im starting on some repainting, but i cant get that indepth unfortunately. unless someone would like to lend me some garage space????? lol man, i know i have my work cut out for me, but id LOVE to get this bike back to being totally awesome!

2. donald branscom

donald branscom New Member

Map
    Steady as you go bro. You WILL get there. Looks good.

3. donald branscom

donald branscom New Member

Map
    Do you live in one of those apartment complexes??

I hate those kind of places. no place to work on a project.
    Oh, thats right you are supposed to just stay in your cube and stare at a computer.
    No good.

Sorry to hear.

I would rather live in a beat up old house with a garage.

4. banderson18

banderson18 New Member

@donald yup yup, but i live in one of those lol i have a porch which i about to turn into a spray booth, but im also looking into getting a storage unit down the road to keep my tools and work on my bike. i cant get a house cause i dont have credit yet to get a loan. but i agree 100% i hate living in apts. lol

5. Outlawz24

Outlawz24 New Member

Canada
    Map
    I have been away for quite awhile any updates on this bike?

6. risoto

risoto New Member

Sebspeed were you were having a exhaust system made copied for this bike? How did it turn out?

7. Davis5g

Davis5g New Member

Map
    Did you ever figure out what to do with the crankcase breather assembly? I ran the open breather(identical to yours) under the tank on my first bike(75 kz400) that I picked up two years ago. It uh... puked oil out of that breather, made cleaning oil off the carbs and frame a regular occurance. Then I picked a breather canister assembly from a triumph of some sort, but I ended up having to drain the excess moisture and oil out of the box so often that I finally got sick and tired of it and ended up running a hose straight down behind the motor to under the bike. I should have put a filter on it but there wasn't much space. Thought I would give you a heads up. If you want to run the open breather setup, see if you can run the filter under the bike because it will spit oil at you. I couldn't let you get oil all over your hard work in the detail of the build. Good luck with it.

8. risoto

risoto New Member

Open breather

I was kicking around the idea of a fabricated catch can with a breather element built in. Jaz racing makes a tiny breather tank not much room in stock location.
    [​IMG]

Then I started thinking why do away with the stock system doesn't it help the rings seal by scavenging blow-by with vacuum from the air box?

9. Davis5g

Davis5g New Member

Map
    Alot of stock system are known as PCV or positive crankcase ventilation system, the older bikes might not have this. Newer bikes and cars use this system. Essentially it pulls vacuum on the crankcase. Blowby gasses are drawn through the system back into the intake and re burned. These systems have enhanced oil life by helping to forcefully remove unburned fuel from the engine oil. Your best bet would likely be to make sure the stock system is functioning properly, clean of excessive carbon and oil, and reinstall it.

10. MoparBrion

MoparBrion New Member

The "Not a Teaser" part of this thread's heading needs to be eliminated! LOL!

I just found this thread, and have spent the last hour reading it... I mean, it started in 2008, right? Surely the bike is finished now.... don't skip ahead... don't skip ahead.... oh yeah.... it's getting better.... better.... closer.... closer.... almost there.... wait for it.... then I get to page 13. What? That's the end of the thread?

I feel like the kid in the "Christmas Story" movie who had waited for weeks on his Little Orphan Annie Secret Decoder ring - only to find out it was all about a crummy commercial! LOL!

GREAT WORK! It'll be awesome to see what it looks like if.... uh.... I mean when it's finished!

11. Outlawz24

Outlawz24 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Def hope to see more info about this project soon! Even after rereading this thread i relearned a lot about what can be done with these bikes and have started planning my own project bike out.

12. Sebspeed

Sebspeed New Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry to leave you hanging guys. I really don't stop by here much anymore.

Not to worry though, you haven't missed anything... no progress outside of making a brake torque arm. I've been working on other projects and building a customer base doing bike work on the side.

It'll get done eventually. Nice to see people are still diggin the work I put in so far, makes me happy.

13. Outlawz24

Outlawz24 New Member

Canada
    Map
    I have a question for ya seb...what throttle assembly did you use when you went to the CBR 1KR kill switch assembly?

14. Sebspeed

Sebspeed New Member

United States
    Map
    900RR housing and tube.

15. Cadmandu

Cadmandu New Member

Race Tech Emulators good news for the 39 mm fork owners

Back at post 42 or 44 of this thread:
    So far, looks like just the stops. There were a few reasons for the swap, one was the era-race look I was going for, two, the larger tubes, thirdly, quick change axle and adjustable handlebars(though I'm not using them ATM), and last but not least, I can use Emulators in these forks without modification. RaceTech does not make an Emulator for 39mm forks. Let me grab some updates from VFRD.

Anyway, they are in the middle of doing the RR for a new p/n for my 83 VF750F
    Dan-

I am in the midst of RD fitment for Honda VF700/750 39mm SHOWA forks, I will have full details & part numbers first week in September. I will follow up with you however if no news by end of next week remind me!

Thank you for choosing Race Tech!

Matthew Wiley

Race Tech Suspension

1501 Pomona Road

Corona, CA 92880 USA

951-279-6655 ext# 108

951-279-7171 Fax

mwiley@racetech.com

Race Tech Suspension

16. Ghosty_SLo

Ghosty_SLo New Member

Hey all!

I have been reading this thread and forum for a very long time now and i am very interested in how this bike will turn out. I know it has been a long time since the last post but i keep my fingers crossed we all could see that bike finished. Great work so far, i hope one day i can do something half as good to my bike.

Cheers, Ghosty!

17. 86VF1000R

86VF1000R New Member

Teaser!!!!

18. Poisson

Poisson New Member

Nice project, but what happened to all the pictures?