Not pleased with K&N Air filter!

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by VFRBenny, Jan 18, 2012.

1. VFRBenny

VFRBenny New Member

Map
    Thats a good idea. Try a Toyota 4runner early 90's air filter.

2. braceyoself777

braceyoself777 New Member

Map
    Sorry buddy I have to disagree with you and the K&N being a POS....no video=it didn't happen. Im proper cleaning techniques could lead to failure.

First off I"m not discrediting your claim. Just saying that you could of been the few that had a defective product. My K&N came from 2 owners ago....back in 2008, the first time I cleaned it, it hasn't been oil since installed. It held up pretty well even after my trip. I have video for it too...

[video=youtube;O-fiQV1uDYo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-fiQV1uDYo&list=UUa6f1KAFHXHG4QqGjNgm6kw&index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

3. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Nice car! I have had my K&N on the same bike as yours for over 50,000 miles. I have re-oiled a few times, with no issues what-so-eva. My velocity stacks never had dirt or grit in the tray either. Recently, I did a carburetor over-haul just for PM sake, new float needleds, gaskets, etc. I have to say, all the brass parts were clear and the neat part was that the bowls were immaculate, seriously, maybe one bit black shate in the bottom of one of them, but that was it. So, based on that, and your observations, I would go with a K&N over other competitors for any other bikes I own down the way.

Video age is crazy shit huh. You can watch everything. Nice going! ; )

4. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    The reason you had oily dirt stuck to your carb openings are common from over oiling. It takes very very little oil to make the filter work properly. Many over oil. Then the oil will get sucked in and get deposited on the carb entrance. Then over time fine particles, tiny micron dust, will collect and look like the filter isn't working. ALL filters pass tiny micron particles because they come with the air being sucked in. Stuff you can't see and doesn't hurt the engine.

I've seen that from when I first used them and over oiled them even though I thought I didn't. You just have to get educated about how to oil them properly. Most like you don't. After doing it correctly I've never had any dirt on the venturies of any of my carbs afterwards. What you may call a little may be still to much.

Norcal you said the test was done with new filters. So how does your test equate to very dirty filters?

5. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    OEMs would prefer you use their expensive filters. And to my knowledge, not one OEM has been able to have a warranty claim void due to K&N filter use.

If the product didn't perform, the OEM's engineers and attorneys would have been all over that shit.

Personal preference; feel free to use what you like. But I don't think a claim can be made that the product doesn't perform when used properly.

So what's the best oil?

6. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    I use the K&N oil which is red. Haven't tried anything else so I don't know.

braceyoself777 your video speaks volumes even for kool-aid drinkers.:drinkers:

7. VFRBenny

VFRBenny New Member

Map
    Not likely, as it was the first service to the filter, and the filter came pre oiled from K&N. I believe it's a design flaw. There design causes holes to form in the folds of the cotton. If they used a wave pattern instead of a steep Z pattern, there would be no weak/thin spots in the cotton weave. If you look at your K&N, you'll see small holes in the folds, but no holes in the flats.

I understand there trying to get more surface area by using a Z pattern, but I feel there compromising some filtering in doing so. IMO.

8. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    DUDE! You should totally call every one of the OEM vehicle manufacturers. Just think of all the engine failure warranty claims your engineering and design diagnosis will save them! :bravo: Surely they will pay you and reward your efforts. It's amazing that the army of OEM engineers haven't figured this out long ago and voided claims already.

9. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

A retest of the BMC after 6k miles showed no drop in the filters effective air flow. I never retested the K&N as I was totally unimpressed with the flow characteristics out of the box and never used it. My choice was performance based, as maintenance has never been something I have slacked on. Routine inspections of the filter and airbox never showed any dirt past the filter.

FWIW: the BMC was cleaned after the retest at 6k, again after the engine was worked on and the airbox was insulated at around 9k. The bike was sold before a third cleaning took place.

I have attached a pic of the airbox, the snorkel was removed and the entire flapper assembly was removed.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  10. VFRBenny

VFRBenny New Member

Map
    Dont need the money, and I've had more then my share of that-a-boy's. I'll let you run with this one! Knock yourself out.

11. gwcrim

gwcrim New Member

Wonder what kind of filters the heavy hitters use on Baja 1000 bikes?

12. VFRBenny

VFRBenny New Member

Map
    Is the silver stuff for heat? I got a little carried away with my air box mod. The bike sounds Fantastic with an open box.:wink:

Attached Files:

13. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Wow.

Yes, it was for heat.

14. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    I was warned by the local performance shops and dyno tuners that opening an airbox too much will normally cause a loss of HP at low to mid RPM ranges.

15. braceyoself777

Map
    ^^Same here, without the right jetting it causes more harm than good. I put my snorkel back on...

16. VFRBenny

VFRBenny New Member

Map
    Bike runs great! No after fires or back fires, and power wheelies in second and will raise the front a few inch's in third under full power. and I'm at 250lb in gear. Plus when I ride in the hills, I'm 90% of the time between 5k and 9k rpm. But I'm thinking of a PC5 with AutoTune.

17. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Wheelie chart is far superior to dyno results any day

18. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Video of dude driving through sand storm shows that product performed as advertised by the manufacturer.

Another dude says product designed for OEM airbox doesn't work with home designed setup.

Think we found the problem.

19. braceyoself777

Map
    Best of both worlds right? hahahahaha

20. Rangerscott

Rangerscott New Member

I live in the panhandle where every square mile is pretty much plowed year round for cotton. Doesn't take much of a breeze to start a sand storm here. It's nice being sand blasted daily.

It sucks royally when it's all over the road and the vehicle's tires in front of you is throwing it up in the air for you to ride in.

[video=youtube;wfuDFEZYHTE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfuDFEZYHTE[/video]

[video=youtube;fDgsrbri-8k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDgsrbri-8k&feature=related[/video]