Official VFR sighting thread

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by derstuka, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Yo KajinVFR, take a few buckets of money. It is spendy there! I just spent the weekend there (got there in a cage though). There are some nice activities around the ski area. Take a bicycle (you can rent) up to the top of the ski lift and ride it down one of the many trails (from easy to wicked). If you like classical music the events at the Geral Ford Amphitheater are top notch. Some great gelato in town and great people watching too. Have fun! Take sunscreen and drink lots of water. Oh, Ti Amo is a good italian restaurant. Num num!

2. K1W1

K1W1 New Member

Map
    Kanjin - the trun off is right by Echo Lake (Google Maps) - look for the squiggly line south of Echo Lake (its actually route 5)

There are a lot of great rides around the Vail area or between Vail and Denver. Mt Evans has the highest paved road but it is a road in and out. I believe that the highest continuos paved road is Trail Ridge Rd in Rocky Mountain National Park (you'll need some $ for both places)

Also check out the Peak to Peak Highway and Vail to Leadville to Bueno Vista.

havcar and I did a ride over Mt Evans but missed the turn off up to the peak. I have 3 pics of our ride in my album but they are not overly exciting! I'm sure that either of us will come meet you from Denver if you pick a weekend to ride. Just send me a PM

Edit - depending on which direction you go over Mt Evans - but, if you end up in Idaho Springs, go to Tommyknocker Brewery (make sure you stick to a 10 ouncer though so you can make it back to Vail

3. barleymashers

barleymashers New Member

United States
    Map
    ok, I never see VFR's around and now I have seen two in two consecutive days.

The first was a metallic Candy Apple red in Piscataway. Driving on Stelton Rd passing over Centennial towards I-287 around 4:15pm.

The second was this morning a nice Matte black (I liked this color option) on Washington Valley road in Martinsville. Had a driver and passenger at about 10 am.

The disappointing thing is neither times was I on my bike. : (

4. 2wheels4me

2wheels4me New Member

United States
    Map
    I see one everyday, if you can count an 06' black demo/used with 200 miles on it. It's for sale at the dealership across the street from me, they wheel it out everyday.

5. porcupine73

porcupine73 New Member

United States
    Map
    Very nice silver 6th gen spotted on 353 in Cattaraugus, NY near the fair yesterday Sat Aug 2, 2008 around 1PM.

Not viffers, but also spotted a couple CBR's, one a Respol, headed 16 South near Holland, NY. The Repsol had an Ohio plate. Both riders were wearing Alpinestars track suits. I hadn't seen a Repsol in person before, it looked pretty good.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  6. DANIMAL

DANIMAL New Member

keepin the post count up ? Eh Drewl
    You fleshy headed mutant, you
    I thought you quit?
    Well, if Drewl ain't quittin, I will

7. desertman62

desertman62 New Member

Map
    Red 6th Gen heading North on Tatum Blvd in N. Phoenix this morning. First one I've seen on the road in a while.

8. Buckwheat

Buckwheat New Member

I saw 3x4th Gen, 2x5th Gen, & 5x6th Gen at the motorcycle rally in Ephrata, PA this morning. Must have been a 1000 bikes there. I got parked in and had to hang for a while....which was good cause I got to chat with one of the 4th Gen owners.

Forgot to ask if he knew about VFRW though. :doh:

9. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    we actually only saw about 5 on the whole trip not counting the people we were meeting. The bikes are getting pretty rare I guess. I thought the 6g had sold pretty well but we didn't see too many. I didn't even see any from Marin all the way to San Jose riding through tons of traffic.

10. barleymashers

barleymashers New Member

United States
    Map
    It's an epidemic! For the 3rd day in a row I saw a VFR. This time a yellow one with matching hard cases heading north on I-287 between exits 6 and 7 around 11:05. Dual riders. No chance to wave or anything as it is a divided highway with a large grass median. I think it was a 5th gen, but I am not too good at distinguishing different years yet.

11. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    It's always great running into riders who appreciate the St. Helen's/Curly Creek run, that was wild running into you guys four different times, that day was a special occasion having our VFR brothers up from Central Coast area of California, so we couldn't resist snapping a couple of photo's around Windy Ridge. That is one sweet ass ride down to Cougar and riders who ride 2 hours to get there are truly motorcycling enthusiasts, you seemed like a pretty good guy for a Yamaha rider :tongue:

12. marty_uiuc

marty_uiuc New Member

i see a red 5th gen with CF arrow exhaust, sargent seat and some other stuff every day. he parks in the same lot i do at work :p

other than that, i've seen an old vf500 (i think) around town, another red 5th gen, and a street fightered-out 6th gen. all in the central illinois corn-oasis known as champaign-urbana :unsure:

13. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    ...YUP! MURPH'S LAW: I have never seen one when I am on the bike, only in the cage. I HATE THAT!

14. Pearl-93

Pearl-93 New Member

Red 4th Gen (94 i think?)
    Heading North on I-95 in Laurel, MD.

I cruised up next to him in the adjacent lane slowed down and pointed at his bike.
    Not sure even realized I was on a white 3rd Gen!!! what a pitty!!

Didnt seem like he had any interest at all...or maybe I just scared him when I whipped up next to him? hard to tell, but I doubt he's on the site judging by the reaction.

Who will claim?

-S

15. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Yo, Pearl! Isn't it funny the different reactions you get when initiating contact? Some guys are so blase and could care less...others are so happy to see you are interested. I was on the way home in the wife's Honda Accord last week when I saw a brand new Honda CBR 1000 ridden by a military chap. When he was behind me a a light I stuck my head out the window and gave him the thumbs up sign. He reacted like he knew I was also a rider. He and I traveled the same roads for quite some time and he seemed to enjoy that I was oggling the bike. He did a little show of acceleration at one point and I enjoyed seeing him ride on off.
    To those kinds of guys: :party2::party2::party2:
    To the "could-care-less" guys: :spam::spam::spam:

16. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    VFR Sighting

Saw RED 5th Gen. with hard tail bag Yesterday on I 91 Corona, Ca hiway heading south on carpool lane. We wave at each other and he took off, I have to exit on Grand Ave. Wonder if he is on our forum???:rolleyes::unsure:

17. Fizz

Fizz New Member

Map
    I saw a Pearl White 6th Gen today coming home from work on Miramar road Eastbound and onto the 15 South. He was following a large Harley tourer. Both wearing orange milspec vests.

Anyone?

18. VsVFR

VsVFR New Member

Map
    I saw a red 4th or 5th gen last Thursday in Benton, KY at a local Wally-world*parking lot taking a break. The bike appeared to be loaded for bar(that's bear in Davey Crocket speak not the drinking pasttime). By the time I had noticed what type of bike it was the guy and a woman had loaded up and were gone. I really wanted to talk to them as it appeared they were on quite a trek. Ah, say lah vee(eff-arr) and I was in my cage of course, which happens to be another Honda product.

Vs

19. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    2007 RWB in Pacific Beach (San Diego, CA), Garnet Ave, on Saturday (8/2) at 12:15pm. Was wearing an excellent choice of gear consisting, of a t-shirt and shorts.

20. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    ^ What you fail to realize Stuk is that tee shirt and shorts were Kevlar lined ....