Oil Change Intervals with sythentic honda oil?

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by Bubba Utah, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Wear and tear on police vehicles depends on a whole bunch of stuff.. The question might be is how much a given vehicle is used and for mostly what? SPD as I recall ran their cars all three shifts. Rain, shine, fog, snow sleet and hail yes, on bigass hills and a much used slab as part of the jurisdiction. Some departments have several types and makes of cars as well as bikes. SPD a few years back had some V8 Ford Mustangs that were very stock looking and painted twotone in a light grey and a light blue. The Charger V8s used by CHP varied back in the day from "Police Specials" that had the police packages to all out race cars that were monsters..

I am glad to see that you guys up there in the Frozen North finally got shed of those dogsleds for chasing down bad guys and finding folks in snowdrifts.

A musical interlude: The first by The Coasters c. 1957.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWcV0AS62Hg

The second by some Brit dudes c. 1964.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1QHPvByrPk&list=RDG1QHPvByrPk

2. Badbilly

United States
    The Golden Spectro folks might have to disagree with that take..

3. Allyance

Allyance Insider

Germany
    Map
    Problem with blends: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMD9YWSmtPU

In essence, no regulations on blend formulas, what percentage of synthetic vs others in the bottle. If you trust your big name oil mfg to produce a quality product, then go for it.

It seems that if you are concerned about performance (as we all seem to be!), then go for pure synthetic. If costs are a concern, the blends in the family sedan would be fine.

I am not trying to push Amsoil, just synthetics.

4. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Yep you are correct. There were a bunch of law suites years ago about what makes an oil pure syn. I think ther are still some grey areas but most of the top end oil companies pure ones are. Amsoil from all I have gathred is a very good oil too.

5. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Back to the question of using Honda synthetic. Nope. DSC02243.jpg This is what I use. FWIW

6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

One of the funniest modifications to a car's name plate was on a Caprice Classic. The owner rearranged the words and the letters of Caprice so that the name on the car was 'Classic Crap'

7. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    So are we saying that the Honda Pure Syth is crap and no a true Syth.? RFVR? I thought that Honda would have a quality product. I know that someone else produces it for them and that would be a good Question to ask and know. Because I would assume that it having there blessing it would keep the warranty valid more so then not. But I have 2 weeks on that so Fuck it if I need to find a better solution. Thanks.

P.S. The longest I have ever kept a bike mileage wise 32,000 = or - so It is interesting to see what you guys with 50,000 + use.

8. Badbilly

United States
    In the case of a 26 year old VFR, I am more concerned with longevity than performance. Engine is bone stock, suspension isn't. The only engine mods if you want to call them that are a Scott's oil filter and a K&N air filter.

As to your rejoinder, no, I do not know what percentage (fraction) of Golden Spectro's Semi Synthetic is made from crude or in the laboratory. Several posts will bear out that I switched from Golden Spectro to Rotella T long ago. This when the local Honda Dealer almost doubled the price on already shelved quarts that they didn't even dust off or remove the old price stickers. Not much in the way of "proof" that your product line is as stated either.

Fred's Honda.. Corvallis, Oregon. A nearly 100 mile round trip..

One might think that if you are a distributor for a line of lubricants it follows you are selling same. Providing technical information on any product is SOP in my hood rather than just getting pissy. I sure ain't sold..

My use of Golden Spectro Semi Synthetic for several years was from advice from George Dean who if you care to look him up does know a bit about engines and bikes and as well bought Golden Spectro in barrels.

9. Badbilly

United States
    Bear grease and snake oil?

10. CatHerder

CatHerder New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm with you. I change it before I store it in the fall

11. Badbilly

United States
    I just watched a Utube where a guy put some of that Amsoil stuff in a Harley. It ate through the oil pan and got oil all over his living room rug.

12. CatHerder

CatHerder New Member

United States
    Map
    That's OK, I don't keep my my bike in the living room:)

13. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Of course you are, you're a dealer. You promo it every oil thread.

Agree though that it's a good product.

14. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I use Castrol RT full syn with M2 rating at $6.75 a qt-Great oil.

15. Allyance

Allyance Insider

Germany
    Map
    I learned about the benefits of synthetics then became a dealer because it was hard to find it in stock anywhere, then I realized their marketing system and restrictions were main reasons it was hard to find. Everything is geared for direct shipments from them. I have not sold very much, I set up 2 motorcycle shops as resellers, but one hasn't sold anything and the other special orders when customers requests it. It made a good tax deduction this year after all the investments in literature, 800#, etc. No one on VFRW has bought any, as most have very strong opinions about what they buy. Lots of competition, many other manufactures are now selling synthetics. I believe in the science and wary those who exploit it.

16. 54lariat

54lariat New Member

United States
    Map
    This was a good read, a few laughs too.

I'm going to have the dealer do the 600 mile service for me, then I plan on putting a couple thousand on that oil until I fab my own stand.

Then I will switch to Amsoil. I have had a dealer account for years, and run it in all of my vehicle's (Ford, Chevy, Mazda,Kia,Polaris,Husquvarna and Honda) and my friends and family's vehicles....oh and my firearms.

You guys that ride in the south, 100℉+ summers, do you run 10/40? Or stick with the 10/30?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

17. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I run Motul 300v 15-50 in the summer on the cbr track bike. I think I have 5-40 300v in the VFR now.

18. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Once the new VFR was broke in IMO say 3-4000k, I went with the gold bottle of Honda synthetic, that was like 95ish. Then out of the blue the Honda dealer doubled the price of the stuff. I've used Amsoil before, but since it was also a matter of convenience, I stuck with the Honda stuff. Once they raised the price it made it worth looking into where Amsoil was at, only to find out our local rental firm we rented a lot of equipment from was a distributor, at that time Amsoil was less than the Honda label too, so figure why not go with Amsoil. We have used amsoil in a lot of our power equipment like ditch diggers generators, water pumps etc.. with great results. Then on the 16K service on the 4th gen, the tech at the dealer comes up to me in the parking lot when I was picking up the vfr, asked, what oil do you use? the way he said it put made me on guard, in something was wrong. Nope, he was amazed how like new the engine is inside. :) I have seen the inside of our power equipment, so this just confirmed my thinking more so,, sine then I've never looked at anything else. Less what gets put in the car, today it's way easier to just go the oil exchange place, I'd use amsoil if they had it, second choice here is Mobil 1

19. Badbilly

United States
    Greasy cat stuff..

20. 54lariat

54lariat New Member

United States
    Map
    I've been sold on it for years, I also use Amsoil fluids everywhere else in the vehicles. ATF, Dot 3/4, Coolant, Diesel additives, filters, grease, gear, MT fluid. My garage looks like a store front because of all the vehicles and I order extra each time.

You ever order the test kits they send to Blackstone? I did that on my wife's 16' Turbo Sorento @6k interval and had about 30% life left. I have some diesel friends running 8-12k based on oil analysis.

OK I'm done preaching. I'll probably run the 10/40 here in Texas.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk