Oil Leak at shifter and possibly front sprocket area?

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Vfrhillmann, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Vfrhillmann

Vfrhillmann New Member

Map
    Hey guys! Well I guess Ill start with a quick introduction seeing how this is my first post on here:wink: I bought my vfr almost 2 years ago with 32K miles and have become addicted to it. She's nearing 45K and beginning to show some light wear from non stop use. I live in NC though and work as an apprentice mechanic at a CAT dealership.
    Now for my question.. Ive noticed a leak beginning to intesify around the shifter. Its been there since Ive bought the bike but havent noticed my engine oil level ever dip below a safe point so I just put it off. Im getting ready for a 4K mile trip and wouldnt mind maybe getting it straightened out. Has anyone had the same issue? Is it something common on a vfr with a few miles under its chain?

2. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    start by cleaning the area well, that means taking off that plate that has your clutch slave attached to it. Clean the counter spocket area well with a rag and your favorite degreaser (wd-40.) Could be just chain lube or possibly the shift shaft seal, if it is the latter, its not a big deal to do it, if you have your favorite pick handy.

Part # is 91204-KE8-003

Hope this helps.

3. jwf88

jwf88 New Member

United States
    Are you sure thats motor oil? Its probably leaking brake fluid from the clutch slave cylinder. That would be my first guess anyway.

4. Vfrhillmann

Vfrhillmann New Member

Map
    Ridervfr: Thanks for the help! Ill be taking a serious look at it this weekend and will definately pull of the plate like you said. I'm kinda suspecting the shift lever is leaking since its been dropped on that side a couple of times..shit happens :/ But like you said maybe its just the chain lube being flung off.

jwf88: Im pretty sure its motor oil, its just moist and caked with road grime so I couldnt say for sure. However Id rule out the clutch slave just because the fluid level in the reservoir is always full and judging by the amount that has supposedly leaked out Id figure Id see a change in fluid level. You could be right but I havent had any warnings signs comming from the clutch.

Ill post up my findings

5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Less leakage if you use the centerstand when it's parked. :homer:

6. Vfrhillmann

Vfrhillmann New Member

Map
    I dont have a centerstand though. Im running a lefty exhaust which wont allow me to mount the centerstand.

7. ang_bob

ang_bob New Member

The replacement of the oil seal is easy.

It is the item 19 in the following link

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-vfr750f-1990-italy_model5599/partslist/E__0800.html#results

After the gear shift removal, you can extract the old oil seal simply inserting a self-threating screw and pulling out the screw and seal.
    Insert the new item, previously oiled with engine oil

Do you have pictures ofbthe lefty exhaust?

Bob
    From my iPad withTapatalk HD

8. jimmy.miller.969952

jimmy.miller.969952 New Member

I have the same thing going on on my vfr750. It has been dropped on that side and has tweaked the shift lever... Just noticed the first drop of oil ever since I've owned the bike today... Seems to be motor oil sounds identical to what you're describing... Did you find anything out?