Opinions of a VFR800 as a second bike

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by TheCommand, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Check6

Check6 New Member

United States
    Map
    Not a closet "harleydood"... been Out since the 1970's and have always owned one. :congratulatory: But, in answer to the OP's question about buying a VFR 800 as a second bike I'd say go for it. There's nothing ferocious about a VFR and the power is quite manageable. I have one as my secondary ride for those times when my wife doesn't feel like riding. It's my first VFR and it's a great bike.

If you were asking about a liter class Gixxer, R1, or the like (I've owned a couple GSXR-1000's) I would recommend that you stay away until you've had more time to learn about riding around on two wheels. However, the VFR is a great bike for those times when you want good handling and decent acceleration without it getting away from you.

2. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    lol You spying on me or have a crystal ball or something?!
    1. 86 700 VFR mostly stock
    2. 87 700 VFR decently modded
    3. 15 800 VFR mostly stock, so far...

OP, I think you should be fine...

3. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    TheCommand, what did you decide?

BTW, when someone asks me what kind of motorcycle he should buy, I always ask, "What kind of motorcycling do you like?" The VFR is a versatile bike, but if you like a certain style of riding there always are more-focused motorcycles for that style of riding, whatever it is . . .

4. Interceptor Pilot

Interceptor Pilot New Member

United States
    The Alaskan is correct. Personal opinions are just like.... armholes. Most people have got more than one. Buying a bike is all to do with the senses. How it looks, sounds and feels. Only you can decide what's right for you. Therefore, have a good look around at a wide variety of bikes in order to determine what stirs your soul. Which is what the right bike will do. Hopefully.

5. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I got an Ex500 i ride along with my gen3 vfrs' buy the 800 but dont sell your 650. My 2 cents.

6. Darth Vader

Darth Vader New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I'd say YES get a vfr you'll end up loving it I promise.
    I'd only had 125/250 s for years then bought a 5 th gen because it was mega cheap but to be honest it terrified me at first because of the size and weight. I kept finding excuses not to ride it but then decided to grow a pair and ride it or sell it. Every time I went out on her I fell more in love with her , mainly due to that engine , and as the miles passed I wondered why I hadn't got one sooner. It really is a great bike.

7. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    You should send me one of your old 250s. :loco: I still dig a light perfectly balanced bike, don't get me wrong, I still love the silky smooth gear drive whine of my v-4s, but would not get rid of my parallel twin.