opinions on Givi luggage

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by troy, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Spike

Spike New Member

Had Givi on a couple of bikes. My opinion, kinda pricey, but worth it. Excellent quality mounts and bags. Waterproof, lockable, can go from bike to bike. Meaning, when you sell the VFR you can take the Givi with you, the "Honda stuff" you aren't likely to keep for another bike. Meaning you would have to buy new stuff.
    Givi = Very good stuff. I wish I had gone regular Givi rather than the Honda bags on my '04.

2. prodigalbiker

prodigalbiker New Member

Am likewise happy with the Givi V46 topbox on my VFR800 1998. Used a Ventura bag and rack previously and although could fit more was not as secure (had to remove it when leaving the bike). Since I mostly use the bike to commute to work (come on it gives me something to look forward to - Monday mornings !!!) I find it convenient to throw my junk in a small backpack, sling that inside the Givi then remove when I get to work. Also installed the light kit which has hopefully made me more visible to the nutters behind when I apply the brakes. Have been on a number of decent blats in the country and don't feel the Givi effects the bike performance too much.

3. kbyte255

kbyte255 New Member

Givi/Honda side cases

We have both. I have the Honda side cases and my lady friend has the GIVI set up. The Honda rack mounts a little closer to the tail section of the bike but otherwise the bags are similar in quality and construction.

In real world use, they are identical, practical, and worth the $$$.

I never ride without them but my friend rides with just a top-case around town.

I agree with an earlier poster in trying to keep the load in my top-case light.

4. bmatic586

bmatic586 New Member

Does anyone know if the quick release GIVI PLXR166 mount is compatible with the honda OEM hard bags? Looking at the GIVI v35's and the Honda OEM's they are very similar looking.

BTW...don't mean to thread jack.

5. Spike

Spike New Member

Givi bags will not work with Honda mounts.

6. bmatic586

bmatic586 New Member

but what about the GIVI PLXR166 mount with the OEM bags?

7. Spike

Spike New Member

ahh, sorry, read it too quick
    don't know the answer, but I would strongly guess the answer is no

8. bmatic586

bmatic586 New Member

I'm not buying luggage anytime soon, but I've read about the quick release of the GIVI rack, and it is a very attractive combination since you only spend less then a minute removing the rack off the bike, and cheaper vs. the OEM set...the OEM set looks a lot better though...

9. Craig Wagner

Craig Wagner New Member

United States
    Map
    I agree. When I was looking at luggage I studied many, many pictures of the Givi vs. OEM stuff and, while the bags and rack look similar, they are not identical.

10. kbyte255

kbyte255 New Member

The GIVI bags do not work with the Honda mounts.

11. Nick_Malaysia

Nick_Malaysia New Member

I had a 'three' set of Givi on my Er6n....no complaints but not especially well made. I imported Honda 'three set' from the UK when I got my VFR800 , (I am in Malaysia), VERY expensive. yes they are nicer...BUT the 'rack' was a pig to fit!!. If you have boxes...especially the big top box...you HAVE to ride with care. I try and keep only light stuff in the top box. It is big and it is ugly!! Next time I think I'd stick with Givi.

12. WingZer0

WingZer0 New Member

Nick u got ur panniers from davidsilverspares I guess? Anyway they are way cheaper than buying from honda here in sg.....strange even with the shipping it cost a lot less than buying locally.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

13. beedo15

beedo15 New Member

Map
    Troy,

I have rode the Givi V35 hard bags for the last 30,000kms and they have stood up pretty good. I do pack them pretty heavy, and they are showing some wear and tear. I really cannot complain with their performance though. They have never leaked though I have road through some complete down pours. They are pretty wide on the back end, but do not really effect the ride. When asked I tell anyone who will listen that they were the best pruchase I made for the bike.

Regards,

Beedo

14. suse

suse New Member

Anyone noticed any issues with the Givi top case causing any top heavy or handling problems?

15. Nick_Malaysia

Nick_Malaysia New Member

High speed handleing wth boxes

I had a 'three' set of Givi on my er6n. When I got my VFR I splashed out and bought Honda. The Givi were 'OK'....the Honda are nicer made BUT I suspect may well be made by Givi !! (Anyone know?)

The Honda top box fits to a 'sliding plate' on the rack...this allows it to move half inch left/right which allows the box to take up a 'natural' postion and (I am told) acts as a natural 'vibration damper'.

The whole rack did NOT fit easily and was a little disapointing. Not an easy rack to fit. Many of the nuts/bolts are poorly plated (on the Honda rack) and rusted very soon.

Fitting boxes does turn your sports bike into a tourer...so yes...it can change how the bike handles although other than some nasty things happening at high speed..(over 120mph), I noticed no significant issues with the boxes fitted..BUT I am not a 'knee down' man, (though no 'chicken strips' anymore!)

All in all I would say the Honda boxes are nicer but not worth all the extra money. The rack was not easy to fit and as I mentioned, poor quality plating on the nuts/bolts.

Next time I wilk probably go back to Givi.

Nick

16. suse

suse New Member

I have the Givi top box on my ST1100. And I can tell it's there. I think it has contributed to at least one tip over. It just seems like the Givi on the VFR is attached in a very high location.

17. Nick_Malaysia

Nick_Malaysia New Member

Top Boxes

I also think the Honda top box is very high and looks rather stupid. I have the top box on all the time. I use the bike as a daily commuter and carry laptop, spare helmet and wet weather gear. (very wet here in Malaysia at the moment). So no BIG weight there but for sure...putting even a few pounds up that high is going to change things but unless u are a rapid left / right 'flicker'...I can't see it making that much difference if riding as a 'tourer'. At speed its a pain which is hardly surprising! (There will be huge drag and turbulance casused by any box which goes up as the square of speed). If doing about 120 in a 'normal' riding positon I get down on the tank, (thus letting the full blast of the airstream hit the box) very unsettling things can happen...so I dont do that any more!!! Nick