Paul from Tennessee

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Robborboy, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Robborboy

Robborboy New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey there everyone,

Finally a VFR owner after lusting for one for many years. Been riding for 7 years. Been through a Nighthawk 250, Ninja 500, Z750s, Nighthawk 650(still own), Shadow Spirit 1100(still own), Ninja 650, FZ-07(still own), (another)Z750S, and now my VFR800.

Picked up my new shiny white 2015 VFR800 Deluxe with 0 miles on the odometer on a whim yesterday. And dropped it within 48 hours of having it. Ouch.

Was making a u turn because the driveway was blocked and my boot slipped out from under me at the stop sign on some sand. It was a controlled fall at a stand still. Was able to keep her at about a 30 degree angle to the ground but there was no way I was pulling her back up.

Gently laid her on the side with only minimal scratches on the stock exhaust cover(being replaced anyway), mirror, brake lever, and the ribs that are on the side of the clutch cover that you barely notice(all the more reason to justify SebSpeed's clear clutch cover mod. Absolutely zero damage to any plastics which was my only real concern.

A little disappointed with how limited with aftermarket is and the lack of even a full exhaust system, but I'm happy to have a version of my dream bike.

Bubba Utah likes this.
  2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Wow. Such luck. And another Wow!. Riding for seven years and have had 9 bikes! I have been riding for close to 12 years now and still riding my first bike.

Welcome to the World. BTW. You are not a real VFR rider unless you post up pix. Let's have'm. Forthwith

duccmann likes this.
  3. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    :worthless:

Welcome. I'm sorry about the drop. It's always heartbreaking. Enjoy your time in our looney bin.

4. Robborboy

Robborboy New Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry I forgot the pictures! All in all everything is super minor. And everything that did get scuffed except the mirror was going to be replaced anyway. I got off lucky that way atleast!

Didn't really know it came from factory at the whopping highsest seat height of 31.8". After lowring it to the more sane for my height 31", even barefoot(sitting in the driveway. ATGATT and all that) I feel like had I lowered it sooner I would have never dropped her.

My ex-wife said I had a motorcycle problem. I can agree with that. Though to be fair I always wanted a VFR and she would never agree to it because of the cost. So I was pretty much cycling through bikes trying to find something that I would be happy with. Except the Nighthawk 250. Was chilling at an intersection waiting for a green light and a Chevy Avalache plowed through me going 45mph. Of course she was texting.

Tell me about it. I'm just glad I got off as lucky as I did.

20180322_170931 - Copy.jpg
    20180323_180734 - Copy.jpg
    20180323_180745 - Copy.jpg
    20180323_180756 - Copy.jpg

GatorGreg, Samuel and 34468 Randy like this.
  5. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I do like the 8th gen for sure. Especially the pearl white. I may be in a search for a new one like that soon. I might be needing a new timing chain on mine and it isn't worth the expense to do that with the mileage I have on it. I will likely keep the one I have and learn to do some more serious wrenching on it.

Bubba Utah likes this.
  6. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Sorry for the mishap but welcome! New bar and some gold touch up paint will get you patched up. The mirror may be the only pricy thing to replace if you are a perfectionist being brand new. Take care.

7. Robborboy

Robborboy New Member

United States
    Map
    Thank you! I've taken a look and the clutch cover is $250. Probably will swap it at my first oil change then hold in to the scratcged one until Debs peed has another group buy on the clear clutch cover.

The lever is about $30 and the mirror $80. All in all pretty cheap mishap to have.

8. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Paul, I feel your pain! My first bike, within the first 15 minutes of riding it (the day after it was delivered), I had dropped it twice (coming out of my driveway, both sides, one after the other) and gotten a ticket for failure to stop at a stop sign... :D

9. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Well shoot that’s a drag droppin it, hey at least you got it out of the way and made onto Randy’s dropped list.
    Love them whites
    Glad yah know about ATGATT.
    Be safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Welcome Robborboy - she's still a beauty even with a few light scuffs!

11. Vulcanator

Vulcanator New Member

United States
    Bike Bandit has the cover a little cheaper: https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2014-honda-interceptor-vfr800f/o/m156360#sch849123

I've found them a little cheaper than the local Honda dealer on some parts. Congrats on your new bike, and I'm so sorry to hear about your mishap.

12. Robborboy

Robborboy New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey $20 saved is $20. Still weighing in on just having her down for a month or two and just sending the cover I have now for the window mod then get someone to paint it back the current color.

The mishap is better than the one that almost happened when I was less than 5 miles from the dealer the day I picked her up.

Warning, not polite gestures included:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg42IW9gP09