PC II vs PC III USB

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by dhinson66, Jun 20, 2017.

1. JZH

JZH New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Classic.

Ciao,

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States

Another ethanol problem maybe?

3. ksoholm

ksoholm New Member

United States
    Yep, his ethanol injection system is not self-adjusting--no autotune.

Lint likes this.
  4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Once upon a time, I had a two-stroke dirt bike. To get a few more ponies out of it, I ran straight alky. The engine had been massaged by a bud who was tuning two strokes in the 1950s. The bike started life as a Maico Enduro 250. Added was a larger Amal carb. The alcohol was icing up the carburetor. The fix was to wrap some flattened copper tubing around the carb flange. The other ends were drilled out and locked down with extra nuts on the barrel/ case studs. Seemed to work. This would have been a hot item at a bike night but bike nights hadn't been invented yet. All there was then, was a shitload of Limeys seeing who could visit the most cafes in the shortest time and whoopin on a bunch of poor scooter riders in funny clothes.

5. RC46-SP2

RC46-SP2 New Member

Australia
    In all of this, people are talking about "not being able to read/write to" a PCII.

I have one of them (came with the bike, and was installed/mapped some years ago, to remove the popping on decel after an after-market slip on was installed and the pair valves blocked off.

I also have the Power Commander software for it, and use a USB-serial adapter. Software loads up and reads it with no issue. I'm assuming that a competent operator, with an exhaust gas analyser could use that software to "re-tune" the thing, and add a small amount of ignition advance in the low-mid range...?

6. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    1. Can you post up screen shots of your current fuel and ignition maps? I would love to see whats in there. Generally the 0% throttle column is left untouched, so I am not sure how a power commander could fix popping on closed throttle deceleration (5% throttle deceleration sure, but not 0%). The PAIR block offs, definitely can reduce popping on decel though.

2. You can add a tad of ignition advance to the fifth gens, but not much. The fifth generation's mapping, is pretty maxed out from the factory, nothing like the sixth gens that leave a lot on the table. Generally the fifth gens will take about 3 degrees advance at low throttle and revs, 2 degrees at medium throttle and revs and 1 degree at higher throttle position and revs (I am not sure if the PC2 is smart enough to differentiate ignition mapping at different throttle/rpms). Nothing like the 6th gens that can take 5 degrees through almost the entire 2500-7000 rpms and tapper off from there. The 2 valve swirl effect is much more tolerant of aggressive mapping.

7. RC46-SP2

RC46-SP2 New Member

Australia
    I'll have a look over the (long) w/end, and see if I can grab some screen shots.

8. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    The popping on decel is unburnt gas igniting with the fresh air injected by the pair valves at closed throttle.
    The pair valves only open on closed throttle.
    Get rid of pair valves and you get rid of the popping.
    I’ve never ridden a 98/99 5G, I know the mapping changed a lot on the 00/01, it might be why there is so much difference on PCIII maps for both versions.
    I haven’t got mine on the dyno yet, it keeps getting put off as I spend my money elsewhere, but would also like to see some 00/01 maps by people who have.
    Usually 98/99 maps don’t run as rich as 00/01, specially at the lower revs.

9. RC46-SP2

RC46-SP2 New Member

Australia
    Just to be clear, the bike doesn't pop on decel these days. It doesn't have the pair valves (or they've been blocked off at any rate). I "think" the PO put the PCII on the bike to richen/lean (can't remember which) the bike when he did the pair valve delete.

My main interest in getting it properly tuned is that he didn't focus on that per se (rather just getting the mixtures "right" to complement the pair-valve delete). IIRC, there was no attention paid to any ignition advance - even accounting for the litle the 5th Gens will tolerate. If I'm extremely lucky, I may "unleash" an extra .5 of an HP in a 500RPM rev range... ;)

CandyRedRC46 and RVFR like this.