PCV Ignition Module fixed mine.

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by RustyBit, Mar 5, 2013.

1. RustyBit

RustyBit New Member

Did all the usual mods to my 2010 F trying to eliminate what everyone seems to term a fuelling issue. PCV, autotune, PAIR, etc. a bit smoother, fitted the Bazzaz, again a bit smoother, still not as smooth as I would like, plus I wasn't overly impressed with thinking I was in 3rd all the time:frown:. Removed the Bazzaz and fitted the Ignition Module, after a couple of runs I'm a VERY happy camper, :biggrin:smooth as silk in 1st & 2nd, no hiccups (or dread) going round a roundabout. Initially a couple of flatspots around 4000 roll off/on, now gone. Makes one think that it's possibly more ignition timing than "fuelling"?? Also running Competition Werkes pipe (replaced 2 bro's) now sounding real, real good.
    NO ECU/ECM updates over here, maybe US and OZ bikes are the same, and EU and Canada ditto? I know that the EU maps don't work too well in my PCV.

Cheers Rusty

2. lshark

lshark New Member

the 1st/2nd thing is definately ignition related...what is this ignition module that you installed ??

3. lshark

lshark New Member

ok i see, it's from dyno jet i wish Bazzaz made one for the ZF-i

4. RustyBit

RustyBit New Member

Hi Ishark, I only ever had real issues with the jerkiness etc in. 1st/2nd, you don't go round a slow corner or roundabout in 3rd or above, at least I hope not.
    I was going to switch to the ZF-i due to the fact that I couldn't cure it with the PCV with any type of mapping, custom or off the shelf. Now I have everything, FI control, Ignition control, QS, Pit lane limiter (alright not that useful), Launch control and a smooooth VFR12, (apart from the free play in the damper mechanism on the output shaft) plus it seems to have eliminated, or moved the speed cut way up.

Cheers Rusty

5. Pete2

Pete2 New Member

This is interesting. I also have PCV but to be honest I didn't get much benefit with it. There might be something if you go to Dyno but when it comes to the general feeling I didn't see much difference. So the ignition module sounds interesting. I called Dynojet and they said that they don't have any ready made map for the ignition part. Could you have a look what are the biggest differences when you look at the ignition advance correction map. This would very nice to know before I go ahead with the idea. Thanks for the info anyhow :smile:.

6. RustyBit

RustyBit New Member

Hi Pete, I'll plug it in over the weekend and see what I have. To be honest since I put the ignition module on I haven't even tweaked it, I have been concentrating on other bits.

Cheers Rusty

7. RustyBit

RustyBit New Member

Sorry for the delay, other half's b'day etc. A big fat 0 on the advance map. So either I'm running 0 degrees across the range or it hasn't altered anything. In fact as you rightly said they do not have anything written for it, yet, plus nothing shows up on the charts except 0's. Weird, yet all I can say is it works! As I said I hadn't tweaked it all after installation coz it was going so well. Will try a few different settings when i can and see what happens.

8. Volfy

Volfy New Member

Exuberant expectations affecting butt-dyno calibration, possibly?:smile:

J/K. I'd very much like to believe it's true, but I just don't see how it could be. Then again, I don't much notice the 1st-2nd gear thing that seem to bother other owners to no end. I rarely find it necessary to crack the throttle anywhere near WOT in 1st-2nd, and I ride solo and most often lightly loaded. So I certainly don't doubt the complaint from others.

9. RustyBit

RustyBit New Member

I cannot explain it yet, to get the retard of the Zbomb, I would have to change all the ignition maps for 1st & 2nd. i wrongly assumed that the Autotune was working with it, apparently it doesn't, so F'd if i know. As I said it is 100% working way better than when I had the Zbomb installed and I haven't changed ANY settings, just plugged it in and told the PCV it was there.
    I believe you have been misled on the 1st-2nd issue, AFAIK it has nothing to do with "crack the throttle anywhere near WOT", it is just trying to hold a steady throttle without surging, lagging, diff chattering etc. going round hairpins, roundabouts and similar slow corner/traffic scenarios.

Cheers Rusty

10. lshark

lshark New Member

11. RustyBit

RustyBit New Member

I'm definitely shifting to the Ignition camp.

They don't do any ignition maps AFAIK due to the vast differences in environments. I started playing around with a few settings as in putting values in place of the 0's WOWWW:biggrin:adding some Advance +10* into 2000-5000 in 1st & 2nd gear (you can do it gear by gear or all gears etc. too many scenarios initially) switched off autotune and had a ball! It is awesome, and will only get better as I learn and play some more.

You are probably correct about the confusion, so many different environments, riding styles etc. I too tried the ZBomb with not much success on mine. I had a pipe and filter on mine from day one which eliminated the 5000 kick from the exhaust flap opening. I had power down low all the way to red, but I still had the jerks. After the PCV & other mods, the only one which smoothed it out was the Ignition Module (even with nothing programmed). Now I'm adding values it's only getting better. What can I say?

Cheers Rusty

12. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    When are you guys putting a vfr1200 with an ignition module on a dyno?

13. RustyBit

RustyBit New Member

When I get it a bit more sorted, over here they want $3-$400 a run, and with the adjustability of Ign. Module, by gear, by gear & pressure, etc. etc. I think I will be poor by the end of it. Maybe I don't understand the dyno side enough, and am thinking the wrong way. I should go down and talk to them and get a better understanding of the process.
    My thoughts were 1: check it with the module unplugged (stock). 2: put the ZBomb on and see what happens in 1st & 2nd as opposed to 3rd. 3: start from there and check what happens with the module plugged back in (no settings) then try the ZBomb settings in the module. 4: try some FULL map settings that I have found for some other models.
    Am I dreaming, or off the rails completely? I used to be an ACE tuner back when things were simple. Maybe I'm too old and should just buy a motorised wheelchair, nah! I'd start tinkering with that straight away:confused:

14. Volfy

Volfy New Member

15. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the power was pulled back with throttle reduction on the drive by wire not the ignition timing.
    I could be just confusing the VFR with the R1 though.

16. Pete2

Pete2 New Member

17. lshark

lshark New Member

18. Pete2

Pete2 New Member

19. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map

wow thats pretty high. my tuner only wants $250 to map my fuel and ignition timing on my rapid bike 2 module. but i could see the map bike gear being very time consuming and im not sure about the us to aus money conversion either. good luck!

20. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map