Perforated???

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by atxvfr, Oct 7, 2003.

1. atxvfr

atxvfr New Member

I am in the market for a leather riding jacket, but I can't make up my mind if perforated is the way to go. I live in Texas where it's hot just about year round, but it does get cold (20-30's) in the winter for a couple of months. Can I use a perforated jacket year round or do people just buy two jackets (one for hot and one for cold weather)?

2. Rumblefish

Rumblefish New Member

Map
    Howdy,

I live in So. Cal and only have a perforated type. To keep warmer in the winter, I have a lined, lightwieght vest I can wear under the jacket.
    Depending on the make of jacket you're looking at, many sell liners for use w/ their jackets.

RF

3. atxvfr

atxvfr New Member

I was just worried that a perforated jacket would not provide adequate warmth during the winter. But if a liner does the trick in 20-30 degree weather, then I'll definitely go with perf.

I was looking at getting a Joe Rocket Blaster jacket, unless you have any other good recommendations for a perforated jacket. :)

4. Rumblefish

Rumblefish New Member

Map
    Honestly, in 20-30 degrees...even a non-perf wouldn't keep me warm..lol.
    As to which one to get, it boils down to personal preference. What fits best, has the look you want, etc.
    I've got a Field Sheer...not the greatest, but it's worked so far.

RF

5. Tourmeister

Tourmeister New Member

Howdy,

Get the perfed. when it gets cold, just put a rainsuit on over the jacket. My Tourmaster rainsuit cuts out ALL wind and makes me much warmer than just the jacket with a liner.

I think you will find that for temps less than 40 F, you may want to invest in electrics. Unless you have incredible gloves, your hands WILL get very cold. Also, unless you can seal the lower helmet and neck area, you will lose a great deal of heat there as well. You will need to be wearing longjohns or some kind of pants liner. I have ridden down in to the mid 30's and you have to really really bundle up to keep even remotely warm. The problem is this really reduces your flexibility and range of movement. I put Hot Grips on my wife's VFR and she LOVES them. They are great. Some people use the Kimpex undergrip heaters instead. I have been thinking about getting either Gerbing or Widder electric gloves and a vest. If it gets much below 35 F, I would recommend staying home or atleast not riding the bike. Those people in the DFW area are nutcases when it gets that cold!! Also, there is a much greater danger of ice on the road and at intersections.

Adios,

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I have been using the Dainese g free jacket for about a month. It has a perforated chest and underarm area and comes with a liner and CE approved armor for shoulders and elbows. It also has a space to insert back protection if you are so inclined, but it takes a while to get it. Mine is still on order.

I don't think I'll even need the liner down to about 45 degrees. I live in S. CA too and it rarely gets much below that on winter mornings.

The jacket is a bit pricey but first rate in terms of fit, quality, and performance. - Not a commercial endorsement -

7. atxvfr

atxvfr New Member

Thanks for the good tips. I was leaning toward perf, but now I'll get a perf for sure. I don't really like to ride in weather under 45-50 degrees anyways, but just wanted to be flexible.

8. woodcycl

woodcycl New Member

The Perf is a good choice. But, if I were you, I'd still look into a Mesh or Semi-Mesh jacket for those days about 92 or 94 degrees. In the summer in the Midwest ... we are at those temps and up to 100 or so and the humidity is unbelievable. There is NO way I'd ride my JR Speedway Jacket in that weather. I did my research on good Tex-Mesh jackets and ride with that in those really really hot months. Just my .002. Also -- the Tex-Mesh jackets can be found for $100 to $200 .. no need to spend more than $200.

9. atxvfr

atxvfr New Member

I started looking into the Joe Rocket Alter Ego. It's a textile jacket with a zipper that zips out and becomes a mesh jacket. I'm starting to think that it is a better all purpose choice for Central Texas riding.