Pirelli Diablo Rosa III's

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Doug7200, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Doug7200

Doug7200 New Member

United States
    Map
    It was time for a new set of tires for my 02', and I wanted to try something new.

I have been on Michelin's for some time - 2 CT's and 3's. They were OK, wore fairly well, but not the latest tire out. I looked at the new Michelin 5's and a few others. Read what I could find, but was unsure which to get. I had decided to try the 5's. But...

Last weekend I had a chance to ride a bike with a set of Pirelli Diablo III's installed. It was also another VFR, so it was something I was familiar with. I was very surprised how it felt with the III's. Easy turn in, stable, nice ride, and stuck like glue. I was surprised how good they were. I liked them much better than my worn Michelin 3's...To be expected!, but I don't recall the Michelin's ever feeling like the Pirelli's.

I mount and balance my own tires, and these went on like most. I leave the old mounted wheels and new tires outside in the morning, and swap them warm when I get home. No surprises.

Yesterday I did a couple hundred miles on them. About 60 freeway and the balance nice canyons and turns. I cruised for the first 100 miles to scuffed them in. It's 30 freeway miles from my house to bottom of Angeles Crest. I went AC West to East, a food stop in Wrightwood, and then AC East to West. It was chilly up high - lowest I saw was 39f, and the road had some rocks in lanes and gravel in the high elevations, so caution was exercised. I ran them at 38/F and 40/R (PSI).

Right off, they turned easier around slow speed turns. On the freeway they tracked straight, did not follow grooves and seemed to ride a little softer than the old Michelin's. I took it easy all the way to Wrightwood. On the way back across AC I rode a little harder, and came home impressed.

The III's turn in soooo nice and hold a line very well. It was fairly cold and there was gravel on the roads center, side, and in many places in the center of the lane. So caution and line holding were needed, and these tires worked very well.

As I came down below 6,000' on AC, the temps rose (50's) and gravel was limited to the centerline and road sides. I rode a little harder and liked what I felt. These tires are confidence builders. Lean in, and they feel solid. No squirm on braking, just solid feeling tires.

Will these last as long as the Michelin's? Likely not. But I don't commute on VFR, so I ride a 150-200 miles a day for fun. I also don't do track days, so that may influence others when selecting tires.

So far, I'm very happy and impressed with the III's.

image1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    wiremanjon likes this.
  2. wiremanjon

wiremanjon New Member

United States
    Map
    Sticky tires rock! I’m currently running Dunlop Q3 pluses and feel the same way about them that you do about the Pirelli’s. Sport tires just make the VFR more competent, the give back is worse mileage life and usually they’re not as good in the rain.

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Wow! 38 PSI for the front seems a bit high, 36 is the recommended setting. On the track I run 32F/28R (Michelin Pilot RS) and that works out great. I currently have some Pirelli Super Corsa SPIIs on my 6 Gen, as my normal "commuting" tires have about had it, so the spare wheels are on it now. The Pirelli is definitely a sticky tire, even at 36F/42R (Recommended settings) it will do a great job in the fun stuff, but definitely don't last like my Sport Touring/Commuter rubber. I went through a front SCSPII on my Duc really quick and that was at 30F/30R on a bike that is just over 400 lbs, stuck like glue though! Had a similar issue with the Dunlop Q2s, haven't tried the Q3/Q3+ yet though, supposed to have longer mileage.

wiremanjon likes this.