Planning 07' Vacation, need help

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by tbones86, Dec 27, 2006.

1. tbones86

tbones86 New Member

Map
    In my particular employment situation I can pretty much come & go as I please relating to vacations & time off. But...my wife doesn't have that luxury; so tonight she asks me if I want to go on vacation in August(1st anniversary) & where I wanted to go. I blurted out California to see the Redwood forest; What I need help w/ is. Recommendations for lodging, prefer a cabin/condo/cottage vs. hotel; cycle rental outlets(probably a fat lazy cruiser set up for two up riding) & what sights are must see items. Bearing in mind I've spent time in LA, San Fransico areas & really didn't enjoy myself much. Staying far far away from large cities would be the plan; I'd like to see the real CA to improve my opinion of it. Any help from the west coast crew appreciated.

2. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
  3. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    unfortunately, the real california includes LA and San Francisco. The great difference of those two is part of what makes CA what it is. If you are looking for wilderness CA then you prob want to see Yosemite and cruise down the inside part of the state. You could go see the giant sequoias etc... northern CA is great for wilderness also... Another unfortunate thing about CA is that wherever you go, there will be others. It's just a crowded state when compared to other places I have been. But, because of that we have lots of motorcycle/RV/cabin rentals etc...

4. tbones86

tbones86 New Member

Map
    I think after checking the link from R.W. one of Pashnits tours of the central coast or coast & wine country would fit the bill nicely for a two up tour w/ the wife. I must admit after looking @ the pictures you have a pretty cool playground for riding. Don't know if I'd want to rent a Road Glide or K1200LT, I was actually quite impressed w/ San Jose BMW's rental rates the rates are a little higher but the fee's are less. Last time I was out was on business which did'nt lend itself to much sight seeing; so maybe I was a bit hasty in my judgement @ that time. Time before that was as a teenager I got drug along to some stupid convention in Anehiem by my mother the only high point of that trip was Colorado & northern AZ on the way back; the sea food on the warf was awesome though too I must admit.

5. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    well, if you make it to the central coast, there are several things to see. for some reason, I didn't think of mentioning where I live when you asked where to go. I guess cause I live here, I forget. We are 45 min from Hearst Castle, sea lions, 10 mins from beach, full of twisty roads, and the best wine this side of the atlantic. there are so many vineyards here that I wouldn't even venture to guess. Oh, and I'd prob go for the beemer cause I think I'd drag the floorboards on the hog. Either would be fun, though. You'll see lots of other bikes for sure. You could also stop in at Parkfield and have lunch on the San Andreas fault. Check the posts I have done about rides around here. They are all pretty close to me...

6. tbones86

tbones86 New Member

Map
    The more I think about it the better I like the idea, I'll have to find out what she found out about vacation time before I go any futher w/ planning. She's a nurse for one of the best Neonatal ICU units in the area. It's kind of feast or famine work, theres weeks she works 90 hrs & weeks she gets low cencussed 2 out of the 3 12 hr shifts she normally works. I haven't figured out yet what flavor of narcotics the person that does unit scheduling is on yet. But for working 3 12's she has the screwiest schedule I've ever seen.

7. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    tell me about it, bro. I am an adult ICU nurse. I finally got to days now so it gives me 4 days off a week for riding or what have you. When I was on nights, I always slept through the best riding weather. Now, I get the roads all to myself on weekdays, and I get at least every other weekend off. My unit was shut down for over 2 weeks, though and I was getting floated all over the hospital every time I went in. :focus: anyway, if you do make it out here, be sure to give us a yell. You'd prob be able to get a ride in with 3 or 4 members right here in the central coast. Decide beforehand what kind of food you want, what you want to spend, etc. I can tell you this, Hoovers in Atascadero is less than 1 mile from my house and happy hour is 3-6 and they have good food and all there homebrewed beers are $1/pint. Don't know bout you, but 3 hours and $1 brew = nice buzz for me.

8. tbones86

tbones86 New Member

Map
    I used to have a neighbor hood bar that had nickel tappers every monday, a guy could get seriously twisted for 5 bucks, including a couple of game of pool.
    How ridiculously hot is it out there in August?

9. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    oh, it's crazy hot. trip digits here, but high 60s 15 min away at the coast. that's where we head when we can't take it anymore...