Prevent cracks in bodywork

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by sfdownhill, Jun 9, 2017.

1. sfdownhill

sfdownhill New Member

United States
    Map
    Check the well nuts holding your bodywork together - Honda calls these 'cowl setting nuts'. This pertains to any VFR that uses cowl setting nuts to fasten body panels together. Like us riders, the older the VFR, the more important it is that its nuts get a thorough inspection.

I wondered why a couple of the bolt holes in the upper cowl of my 5th gen had cracks at their edges. These are the row of three holes where pan screws go into well nuts in the lower cowl. The PO was very careful and I have not run across any examples of fasteners being overtorqued. At my second oil change, I noticed that many of the cowl setting nuts - perhaps original parts - had squished up through their holes over time, creating bulges between the faring panels that they joined. The pressure of the bulges acted like wedges under the outer panels of the upper cowl, and the pressure of the pan screw was applied to the wedge from the outer side of the upper cowl, resulting in cracks.

Just a heads up as you service your VFR - check your nuts [cowl setting nuts]. New cowl setting nuts have my fairings lying flat and happy against each other.

dhinson66 likes this.
  2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

dhinson66 likes this.
  3. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Good info--- I'll be sure ta check my nuts asap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. VFR4Lee

VFR4Lee Member

United States
    Map
    And like the doctor, wear a rubber glove inspecting those nuts, you don't know where they have been. :rolleyes:

dhinson66 likes this.