Programming a blank HISS key

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by htx, Sep 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. htx

htx New Member

Bulgaria
    Guys, my old key got a bit too old (bendy) and I decided it was time for a new one, so I bought a new blank directly from Honda and cut it.
    My bike, me being from the EU, has HISS fitted, so my key has a transponder which needs to be programmed/"teached". Has anyone here done this procedure on the 5th gen VFR? The only info I can find on the matter seems to be for the 6th gen. Does the procedure again include the Ignition Pulse Generator 2-pin plug? If so, what do I have to disassemble to actually get to it? Thanks!

2. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Sorry, do you have HISS on your 5th gen?

3. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    & if so - then YES, the procedure is exactly the same as the 6th gen..

4. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    HISS Programming... (borrowwed from VFRD - lol)

1. Buy a blank HISS key, these are different from a normal key only due to chip that is located in plastic part but they look the same as a none HISS key, I found them on Ebay for $25USD delivered (there normally over $50 here in Australia)

2. Take your new key blank with your existing key & have it cut to work (before you bother to program make sure the new key when cut works in all locks because there are a limited number of keys your allowed to program per bike)

3. Go to an electronics store & buy a 1W 100R Carbon Film 5% Resistor now this is where I went ghetto because you can bother to make the special Honda lead which if your able to buy costs over $100 buying clips & plugs & do soldering but I couldn't be bothered because I was only going to use this lead once so I had electronic jumper leads which are simply the alligator clips each end of a wire & you want the small alligator clip type due to needing to get inside bike plug limited space. The good thing about buying these leads is you can place them in your tool kit & use for other things when needed.

4. VFR800 plug used is Ignition Pulse Generator (red plug RHS bike located same place the fuel injection large grey plugs are positioned), this plug has only two wires the solid yellow is your positive + & the other duel color is your negative - feed.

[​IMG]

VTEC IPGP Ignition Pulse Generator plug (red) location

5. Unplug the red plug & the male part of plug that feeds back to the ECU is what you need to connect too so using you small alligator clips so you can get to terminals in plug clip them on making shore you don't have them touching each other (the small test alligator leads have plastic covers to shield them or you can just strip some of the plastic shielding off the wire if you want after the plug if you can't get what you have into the red plug).

6. Yellow wire from red plug you use other end of alligator lead & clip on your 1W 100R resistor & then get another lead & connect to other side of resistor (remember I did say ghetto lead) that leaves you with an alligator clip to connect to your battery positive terminal +

7. The other wire you connect to the negative terminal on battery -

8. Turn the ignition key to ON using your original key. The immobilizer indicator (HISS) light should come on and stay on (if it starts flashing after 10 seconds there is a fault in your system).

9. Now disconnect the positive + battery connector for 5 seconds before reattaching it to the battery terminal. The indicator should now come on for 2 seconds then begin to flash repeatedly four times. This indicates the system is now in registration mode. At this point all previous keys except the one in the ignition have cleared or cancelled from the ECU memory, so if you have any extra spares they will need to be re-registered.

10. Turn the ignition to OFF and remove the original HISS key, put it a couple of meters away from the bike so it doesn't interfere with the transponder in the new key.

11. Insert the new key and the ignition to ON. The immobiliser indicator light should come on for 4 seconds then begin to flash repeatedly four times. This indicates the system has registered the new key. Success!

12. If you have any extra keys you want to register, repeat step 10-11. Don't put the original key you started the process with in as its already registered.

13. Once you have registered your spare keys, turn the ignition to OFF, remove the ghetto lead and reconnect your red plug sensor.

14. Now check all your keys start your bike.

5. htx

htx New Member

Bulgaria
    Sorry, should've made myself clearer - my bike is a 5th gen 2001 VFR800 with HISS. I did see this thread but my wiring seems a bit different than the one shown on the pictures, probably because this guide was made for the 6th gen VFR - I can't seem to find the Ignition Pulse Generator plug. Do i need to disassemble the airbox to get to it?

Allyance likes this.
  6. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Nope, it will be there

7. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Perhaps this video will make it easier to follow..

SkiMad

8. htx

htx New Member

Bulgaria
    Thanks for the video! Will check it out again later today and report back.

9. htx

htx New Member

Bulgaria
    Guys! Just did the procedure and was successful on the first try! The plug was tucked in very closely between the engine and the frame and that's why I couldn't find it earlier. Thank you very much for the help!

10. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Well done, It would by nice if Honda made this really easy to do but as long as you follow the steps correctly its fine.
    Much better than being raped by Honda to do this..

11. htx

htx New Member

Bulgaria
    Well, if they made an easy way to do it, how would they make you pay up at their dealership for these services? :)
    The only thing I didn't see in the guide was the fact that you need to leave your engine kill switch to RUN, as the HISS system doesn't get activated until you do so. Also the fuel pump doesn't get primed while you're doing this procedure (the buzzing sound you get from the fuel tank once you hit the kill switch). These are stuff that worried me at first, just a heads up if anyone finds this thread. :)