Put some reflective tape on the bike opinion ?

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by amoreira88, Jul 6, 2017.

1. amoreira88

amoreira88 New Member

United States
    Map
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

What does it look like without the camera flash illuminating the tape?
    I'd wanna know if it looks good just sitting around in the day.

Though I'm not the one to throw around opininos much on how things look...my moto is trashed! :/

But to answer your question:

From the photos, the tape under the name badge looks awesome to me as well as the tape by the headlights (though I wonder how much that would be seen with your moto running lights on anyway).

amoreira88 likes this.
  3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I've bought some white and black reflective tape for my two motos and the black blends in really well with the black rims and is unnoticeable when not reflecting light, when light does reflect off of it, it really shines though. For some reason, I have been lazy and not installed the white tape on the white wheels so I cannot say how it looks when not reflecting. My fear is over time, the tape will fade or get dirty and "off white". Maybe I'll make it a point to install it while the bike is in "restore phase".

I bought my reflective tape from this place, http://www.reflectivelyyours.com I also bought some reflective cord and made some laces for my boots out of it. Also replaced a couple of cords on my back pack and other items that had some small cords that needed to be replaced.

A.M and amoreira88 like this.
  4. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    "Though I'm not the one to throw around opinions much on how things look...my moto is trashed! :/"

I think "well-used" would describe your bike Jen.

A.M likes this.
  5. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    How about these for the bike? $6 and lights up the wheels? The mount on the valve stems and are motion activated. The video on face book would not allow me to put a link on them. But, it creates a "Shield of light" within the wheel that would be better than any side reflector. Battery operated so I don't know how much time you get out of them. But, I gave it a shot for $6. I will post when the arrive.

https://goo.gl/7QLmID?utm_source=Fa...rchase&utm_term=Desktop&utm_content=Desktop+2[/MEDIA]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  6. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Some day (night really) I am going to get someone to take mine for a spin at night time so I can see what it looks like driving down the road when car lights hit it. I want to get some black 3M reflective film to attach to the black plastic portion of my hard bags that face to the rear.

As far as the lights on the air stems, some places will consider those as unauthorized lights and "may" take an issue with them. They are actually devices that produce light whereas the decals only reflect the light which hits them. Maybe never to be an issue, but it may be there. Amber lights may pass the test, but any other colour may not. You may be able to argue red ones on the rear and amber on the front but if they are taking issue with it, you may have a hard time winning that argument at roadside.

7. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Randy, I do not know the answer of local law enforcement as far as directed light. I did see these as a safety light for 2 wheels. The light is directed upward and not outward, but very visible, and I will admit a "little flashy" like "Fast and Furious" style. Local enforcement may have a pre-determined annoyance to these being on cars (AKA racing mods) . But, I would hope that bicyclists and motorcyclists would be given a "free pass" as far as not being mounted to be annoying or flashy (wait, the is not true because they where made to be so;-)), but making us more visible at night for saftey. As we all know that we are usually taken out from a cager from behind in an intersection, on the freeway making a lane change, or T-Boned in a intersection. Shit, at least it is something that is brighter than reflective and makes a stance on both the front and rear wheels.

8. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I can't agree with you more on that. Just mentioning that this "may" be there where you live or not. I suggested the amber on both or amber front and red on rear as I kinda think it mimics marker lights. All cars and trucks in Canada and I am sure the USA have had side marker lights since 1968. I also believe they were mandated for that exact reason, make the car more visible from the side.

Samuel likes this.
  9. OOTV

OOTV Insider

After reading the thread title again, I realized I never answered the question? My opinion should be obvious though, as I run reflective tape on my rims and on the back of the top case. Although many like to be colorful with their bikes I'm more for a subdued setup.

As far as the lights on the valve stem, I run angled valve stems and prefer to not put any more additional weight on the wheels, let alone the valve stem but the idea is neat. Whether it is legal or not would be the issue for most. I would like to think the maker of these lights would have some sort of warning and/or statement about that. Many times items like these are considered "decorative" and are not meant for road use.

Bubba Utah and amoreira88 like this.
  10. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    I would second what Randy said - amber or white for the front wheel and red for the back sounds "safer". Blue is a common color for emergency vehicles and may be a no no per your vehicle code (would be a no no here in CA).

11. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    I agree with you on your reasoning on color. Good call! I did not really think that one threw when posting. The problem is I do not know what color they will be. When you order cheap shit and they post 4 colors then they don't not allow you to pick one. It states random or something like that. Hopefully yellow is my color if they even arrive. Rolling the dice on $6 for an acceptable try at it.

Samuel likes this.
  12. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Anyway. Back to original post. I do believe the reflective white tape will almost disappear in the daylight hours. The 3m stuff almost looks the same as the pearl white we have on our bikes. The only down side is that because it is white, dirt will collect and leave a fine black line at the edges of the tape over time unless you are anal about your cleaning.

If I repaint mine and decide not to re-apply my graphics. I at just look at doing similar to what you have done. I like it. Kinda like the Tron movie...or what I saw of it.

Samuel likes this.
  13. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    The original Tron (1982) or Tron Legacy (2010)? :D

14. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I didn't know there were two. I meant the one where one of the Bridges boys was dressed up looking like a lit up middle aged man hooker. I turned it off right quick. My middle aged man hooker was better looking than him.

15. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    image.jpeg Tron bike .. you mean this

It was for sale at the Motorcycle show at the NEC in England last November ...£40k

Bubba Utah, 34468 Randy and A.M like this.