Putting air in front forks

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by slowbird, Jun 22, 2009.

1. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    I checked the air pressure in my front forks and I got ZERO PSI in there.

What is the process of putting air in there? Bike Pump/Air compressor?

.....and the max is 6PSI no?

2. gunnarf06

gunnarf06 New Member

Do not use Air compressor

Hey

I am not sure how much it is I think around 6-8 psi and use a pump NOT A COMPRESSOR.Just a hand pump

Best regards

Gunnar

3. midias

midias New Member

United States
    Map
    Most people don't bother with air but if you want to play around with them only use a hand pump. The general consensus is air can cause premature fork leaking.

4. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Soooooo having air in the Forks won't make the bike handle any better? (i.e. less nose diving)

.....and having ANY air in forks can cause them to leak eh?

5. deepdish

deepdish Banned

purgatory.........................................
    yes it will make it handle great :thumbsup:. go ahead and put in about 22psi in each makes it harder but not as much rebound..sometimes you could go as high as 32 but i wouldn't without new seals and thin fork oil sooooo hope that helps you and ehhh tell us how it works. really if they did not use air why would that be there..:rolleyes:

6. gunnarf06

gunnarf06 New Member

Hey

What the fuck.32 psi he is talking about the front forks 0-6psi(I checked) not the rear shock.Remember to lift the wheel from the ground before you inflate.

Best regards

Gunnar

7. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map

NO NO NO. It's best to run NO air at all. Air in the forks just makes them more harsh. Bleed any air out of there and forget that it has the fitting and you'll be just fine.

8. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Hmmmm....well if JD says so than I will go with ZERO air.

I'm pretty sure there is no air in them as it is. Just feels like the front dives alot during moderate braking.

9. JamieDaugherty

United States
    Map

That's typical. The best thing to do is install a set of fork springs that are correct for your weight. Believe it or not, the stock spring rate is correct for a zero pound rider. So if you do a lot of ghost riding you are ok, otherwise you need new springs. Once you get that taken care of I'd set the oil level at 225mm and raise it to 200mm if you have any problems with bottoming.

10. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Map
    I had every intent on busting Deepdish here and saying "this attempt at humor wasnt funny" However, upon further investigating, I found that factory seals are rated for ~ 54psi. you can also buy upgraded seals which are rated for nearly 200psi.

Yet still what I did find, was once you apply ~ 15 to 25cc oil, (depending on your bike) if the spring and shock compresses 6 inches, and you have a 170 to 185lb rider on the bike, you would apply ~ 38psi to the system. So the practice of putting in ~ 10psi is within spec of factory seals.

I would not advise, putting 30psi in them, at the extended (free) state, unless you get your jolly's from replacing seals after every ride.

11. midias

midias New Member

United States
    Map
    I would think using a heaver weight fork oil would help.

12. JamieDaugherty

United States
    Map

That might be true, but for longevity I would not try pushing the limits of the seals.

Seals aside, adding air to the forks makes them perform worse. In stock form the VF forks are already just this side of terrible, so they don't need any help. Running the correct spring rates, oil, and oil level is the best (and only, really) way to setup the forks.

13. Yonan

Yonan New Member

I would go with Jamie on this one. New springs, gold valves and correct spacers and my 86 eats up any big dips, holes or drop offs great. Dives enough to load the front tire to grip but never bottoms out.

My manual says to run atmospheric pressure in the forks, or up to six or eight pounds. But its a pain getting the same level in both forks the valves empty so quick.

14. deepdish

deepdish Banned

seems like I knew what I was talking about huh??:rolleyes: oh well do what you want I don't care he asks for aadvice and people condem me for it..now then on a dirt bike you blead out the air but back then the had an air chamber ...on street bikes along with a sail ..:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

15. deepdish

deepdish Banned

and you lift the wheel off ground when you (inflate):rolleyes:(like its a ballon):rolleyes:why??? to only put it back down with pressure back on the forks... Well once again the lawnmower techs have spoken.........:crazy::rolleyes:

16. gunnarf06

gunnarf06 New Member

Because

Hey

When you would pump a maybe inflatedbal bed you would lie on it while you were pumping:crazy:.Just trying to make the job easier and also if there is pressure one the wheel while you pump is there just more chance that something will start to leak.

Best regards

Gunnar

17. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Map
    mmmm? no. you are NOT right.

I will attempt to clarify my comment.

If a 185lb person sits on the bike, and you put ~ 8 to 10 psi in the fork, you are ok, but at the high end of the spec, and run the risk of blowing the seal... all for a measely 10 psi. Its not worth the headache.

Suggesting to put 32 psi in a first or second gen std seal is the dumbest suggestion I have read in months, next to a 24" windshield on a street VFR.

I did some research, and I did find SPECIAL, expensive, RACING seals, which require special oil and a special spring, that will go up to 200 psi.... but using my super elite skills of deductive reasoning, Mr. Watson, I would conclude that slobird doesnt have the 200 psi seals, and thus, the comment from Jamie
    is the most appropriate one.

18. JamieDaugherty

United States
    Map

So, how much air pressure are you running in your forks? Maybe you can help the Lawnmower Techs out with a real world example.

HellFishTat likes this.
  19. gunnarf06

gunnarf06 New Member

.....That is so right,Jamie

Gunnar

20. Tilts75

Tilts75 New Member

Map
    Interesting thread, just posted a similar question. So what was the final outcome, did you increase the air pressure, or change springs, just checked mine, and had no air at all in both forks, im going to try 15 PSI, and see if that stops the bottoming out, end of the day the bike SHOULD be able to tolerate minor pothole's and hardbraking without bottoming out, with the need to change factory springs, surely.:frown: