[Question] Driving standard and riding motorcycles

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Senel360, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Senel360

Senel360 New Member

Map
    Hey guys, I live in the U.S. so I know overseas this question is simple and probably never even thought of. To begin with, I've driven stick and it isn't a problem for me but when I seriously get into riding I wondered if I would grow bored of rowing through gears. Not really certain how I want to word this question so my apologies if I've done a terrible job at this but~

Has anyone faded out of driving stick or view it as a chore to do now? I know the clutch feels different on a bike but I'm curious if people have changed the way they feel towards driving.

2. NormK

NormK New Member

????????????????????????????????????????

3. CRFan1

CRFan1 New Member

United States
    Map
    On a bike? Hell no, hehe. It's one of the things that make riding a motorcycle so much fun! I personally would NEVER own an automatic bike of any kind :potstir:

4. cornerexit

cornerexit New Member

Every car I've owned = manual. Same for the bikes. Wouldn't want it any other way. I can't stand slushboxes, paddles, or any of that shit :biggrin:

5. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    On a car? Hmmmmmmm....well, I grew up driving manual trannies (including three-on-the-tree's, remember those?), but that was in the rural country. I did own a stick for several years in the city though. In the gridlocked, traffic snarled, parking lot, road-rage infested roads around metropolitan areas, I prefer a car/truck with an auto trans now. There are just not enough open uncongested areas/roads that I can drive on in my immediate vicinity to really enjoy a stick. It is more of a chore when you are stuck in SoCAL traffic which is a parking lot for 30 miles and you push the clutch in and out 8000 times. Sure I can drive for 30 minutes and be out in a more rural area, but seeing as how my job, friends, activities having be driving my cars mostly around the city...many times in heavily congested traffic.

So yes, I will admit to having a vagina and preferring an auto tranny in the BIG city. On a bike, it is just the opposite. I love having a manual tranny. I will admit living in a place that tolerates lane-splitting does have a BIG impact on that. I would not be against say having a VFR1200 DCT if I was living in a place that was gridlocked and did not tolerate lane-splitting. Being open-minded about things really does help, and can open you up to a lot of fun things. A lot of guys have the orthodox attitude "REAL MEN DRIVE STICKS" and "REAL MEN NEVER SHAVE" and so on and so forth. A lot of those guys also have 12 inch lifts on their trucks to compensate for their peepees as well. :behindsofa: To each his own....

:vtr2:

6. BumbleBee99

BumbleBee99 New Member

Canada
    Map
    I preferr stick shift in vehicles although it's not always an available option. I definately would never consider automatic on a motorcycle, it would take half the fun away. It would probably increase the number of people riding bikes that shouldn't really be riding bikes.
    And I have never found myself getting tired of shifting, it makes the drive more interesting.

7. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    What stuka said.

I had all sticks while I was growing up: Chevelle, T/A, RX7 Turbo...I just can't see having a manual in one of those. I also rented a Camaro SS while I was in Florida for a week. It was an auto, with the paddle shifts. Running it as a full automatic was disappointing, to say the least. Shifts were always well before the red line. the paddles helped some; at least you could wring it out. But after driving it for a week, if I were to ever purchase one, it would have to be a stick.

Flip side is, if I'm in a little 4 banger Accord, I don't really see the need for a stick.

I spend too much time in traffic to have a commuter car as a stick. Just won't happen. So no, I don't get tire of a manual trans, but in miles and miles of traffic, it sucks.

As for bikes? has to be a manual for me, although I can understand why someone might want something like the DCT.

8. mlap5150

mlap5150 New Member

United States
    Map
    I put 75k miles on my dodge neon srt-4 so far and not once have I gotten bored with the manual trans, in fact, it has the opposite effect. It makes automatics boring IMO haha.

9. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Driveing a 5L Mustang with a stick, in a persuit, on cityy streets going around just about every corner there is, all the while trying to talk into the mic on the police radio, simply is a bitch. Mic cord tends to wrap itself around the steering column, many times, so I am told. But it is a rush!

10. jugornot

jugornot New Member

United States
    Map
    Oh jeese guys gang up o the cripple guy now, but the vfr1200 dct is an amazing bike. It is a manual dual clutch transmission. It will run in 2 types of auto drive and sport. And it will also drive with full manual with paddle on the left hand bar. It will act as an auto for all intents and purposes. The people that own them love them and the people who test drive them usually show them some respect. Honda also makes a 700 dct that is cheaper and has many convenience features and should be low maintenance. Both are slower than comparable manual motorcycles, but faster than most cars in city. I don't live where lane splitting is allowed. Most motorcycles have a routine for stoplight traffic than can include a lot of clutching and downshifting. On the dct you simply rolled to a stop and did anything you want while waiting for the light and then grabbing the gas and rolling it on when the light changed. Some people called them scooters but they are truly nice bikes (vfr1200 dct,) Try to arrange a test ride if you are interested. I also rode manual bikes for well over 30 years and the layout of the bike makes it not so much of a chore. I would not hesitate to buy either if it tripped my trigger.

Bill

11. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Having a vagina precludes any intercourse on sticks, paddles or trees so far as Princess Norcalboy is concerned.

Can't get behind a bike with any but a regular clutch/gearbox combo. Cars? Had a couple of "sportscars" auto trannys? No way.. Got a Ford Exploder and even though the traffic ain't nowhere near LA. I like that its shifty all by it's lonesome.

Then we got thems whut cain't drive a stick.. t'all. That is, everywhere but here...LOL