Racing talk !!!WITH SPOILERS!!!

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by OOTV, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I saw the GP race but not the other 2. Would have liked to see the Yamaha team apology. What was the reason they gave? So weird.

MM almost crashed 2 times in the final 2 laps, crazy he could keep it upright, most riders would have gone down. JL must be a bitter sweet thing for Ducati. He has proved that he can adapt his riding style.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

What's also cool is how JL changed his riding strategy too, rather taking to front and walking away from the group and then suffering from tire degradation and falling back down the order, as in previous races this year, he's taking a more calculated approach and saving it for the end. Sure does make for better last lap racing! I had mentioned on a different forum that I was glad that JL was back in form so the racing would be better but it was dismissed because they thought JL wasn't one for scrapping...glad he's become more of a racer.

Thumbs likes this.
  3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Well it says it's a "free" video, so I assume one would not need a MotoGP subscription.

http://www.motogp.com/en/videos/2018/08/11/yamaha-apologise-to-their-riders/268131

4. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    It was the Ulster GP last weekend, just as the exceptional fine weather ends, rain stopped play after a lap with the Supersports, in view of the recent tragedies nobody want to push their luck so red flagged

The racing eventually got going with everyone on wet tyres with the super twins, excellent race with the 2 Patons fighting the whole race

The Supersports were out next, all 6'6" of Connor Cummins squeezed behind the Padgetts Honda to take a well contested win

The Superstock race was won by Hickman only marred by the race being red flagged when a German rider crashed

The GP itself was run on damp roads, everyone on slicks, very quick racing, red flagged due to rain after 3 laps with Hickman taking another win

Davey Todd has taken best newcomer at the TT and Ulster GP but lost it big time on the corner before Deers Leap, his radiator blew as the bike disintegrated making for a spectacular crash, nothing serious tho'

Michael Dunlop didn't attend the racing, he's still in shock from Williams accident

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    OOTV likes this.
  5. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    You can catch all the Ulster Gp on bbc I player.

6. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    Only if you're in the UK

BSB last weekend, I didn't write anything until I'd found a video of each race and no results before hand too

Gator and fink like this.
  7. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Was also live on quest.

Thumbs likes this.
  8. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Anyone have a link to the GP race?

9. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Sorry, Can't help with a link. DORNA keeps a pretty tight leash on MotoGP media. The race is currently delayed, due to heavy rain. After what happened to Tito Rabat yesterday in FP4, It is the correct decision.

Update - All races canceled due to track conditions.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    Gator likes this.
  10. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Yeah I know they keep it tight. Thanks anyway. Someone posted the last race, it was some sort of commercialized link. Until Comcast and be in TV come to an agreement I don’t have viewing unless I pay the ransom to Dorna. Lol

11. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    With the British GP cancelled, that leaves Marquez ahead of Rossi by 59 points with only 7 races left - if he wanted to he could pretty much coast the rest of the way to the Championship.

B63935C7-0DD1-4709-8E26-06C472A4BFAA.png

12. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Completely cancelled or put off till Monday or Tuesday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    duccmann likes this.
  14. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

They will not hold the races at all. It's done at Silverstone for 2018. I was really considering going to this race....so glad I stayed home instead. Feel bad for the folks that spent a bunch of money and got screwed. However, after what I saw in FP4, it was definitely the right thing to do. Rabat has been riding awesome this year on his customer Ducati, basically resurrected his career, now the poor guy is looking at being done for the year. Tragic.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    duccmann likes this.
  15. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    FYI the new track was badly laid surfacing with inadequate drainage, they should never have accepted it off the contractor who laid it

Standing water all over the new section ... FFS is there nobody left who can lay tarmac or have they all retired or gone back to Poland?

It's traditionally wet over here as its a holiday weekend, with Monday off so I'm not really surprised it's raining

16. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Wonder if they refunded tickets?
    I’d be upset if I planned all year and spent $$
    Cruchlow was saying the standing water was like a mirror and you couldn’t see the tarmac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    Official answer:-

The MotoGP race director Mike Webb blamed the newly laid surface at Silverstone after the British Grand Prix was cancelled following repeated delays on Sunday after rain made conditions too dangerous for riders.

Having initially attempted to bring the start time forward in anticipation of bad weather only to be frustrated by persistent rain, organisers conducted a track inspection at 3pm and were hopeful that the race could start even as late as 5pm. However, pools of standing water on the track, which was relaid in February, meant the race was called off, with no option of holding the race on Monday.

Webb said: “We’ve had a number of years’ experience here in very wet conditions recently with the old surface and have been able to run races. This year, with the new surface, is the first time we’ve encountered quite so much standing water in critical places on the track. So, yes, it’s a direct result of the track surface.

“The staff have done an unbelievable effort over the whole weekend to try and make the track safe and until the last minute they were still working, but unfortunately we couldn’t battle nature.”

The Pramac Ducati rider Jack Miller and Johann Zarco of Tech3 were in favour of the race going ahead but were overruled by the overwhelming majority of riders present in a safety commission meeting. Miller said Tito Rabat’s crash in practice, in which he suffered a broken leg, had been a factor. “It’s a case of the guys don’t want to ride,” Miller told BT Sport. “They are not happy with how the asphalt was working in terms of the drainage and because of the accident yesterday involving Tito.

“It’s a shame for me, cancelling it already. We were talking about waiting for the weather to clear up a little bit and stuff like that.”

Alberto Puig, the Repsol Honda team manager, said: “It’s not an easy day for anyone, this is clear. Not a good day for the fans, the organisers, the teams, the riders. But you cannot go against nature, and this is the story.”

18. OOTV

OOTV Insider

It's a shame too, this was looking to be another race like Assen! There were so many riders doing well in practice, even VR and MV were having good timings, hell MV topped the time sheets twice. Although I anticipated it coming down to the wire with MM and one, if not both of the Ducati boys but imagine Cal sticking his wheels in there too. Who knows, maybe even a 6 way battle at the front, damn everyone got cheated!

19. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    Motorcycle Nrws yesterday

The 2018 British Grand Prix has been abandoned due to unsafe track conditions, after heavy rain at the Northamptonshire track left the new surface unfit to start any of today’s three races on.

The possibility of no racing was first floated yesterday by riders after a series of crashes at turn seven in the matter of only a few seconds, with Avintia Ducati rider Tito Rabat suffering a badly fractured leg.

Struggling with standing water that has been slow to clear, riders have attributed the issue to a series of factors. Slow drainage, a polished surface at turns seven and eight (blamed in part on last weekend’s World Endurance race and their high-downforce cars) and bumps that riders say are pooling the water are all contributing to the issues.

The race was initially moved forward to 11:30 local time, but with too much standing water causing bikes to aquaplane on the sighting lap led to a delayed start. More rain would lead to further delays with a meeting of the Safey Commission eventually cancelling all of the day's action at 16:00 local time.

The race marks the first time that a premier class race has been cancelled since 1980, when the Austrian Grand Prix was snowed off.

GoPro British GP cancellation: a message for fans
    MotoGP™ extend their apologies to fans in the wake of the cancellation of the event
    Tags MotoGP, 2018, GOPRO BRITISH GRAND PRIX
    MotoGP™ would like to take the opportunity to apologise to fans, both those in the grandstands at the event and those watching worldwide, for the cancellation of the GoPro British Grand Prix. We would also like to thank them for their patience in waiting for what is often one of the most spectacular races of the season to get underway – in many cases out in the cold and wet weather that characterised Sunday at Silverstone.

Fans are the heart of MotoGP™ and we deeply regret that we were not able to enjoy the GoPro British Grand Prix in 2018. Safety is paramount, however, and Race Direction, together with the Safety Commission - which includes the riders - deemed track conditions at Silverstone to be too dangerous and therefore had no other option but to sadly cancel the event.

Thank to you all for your patience and understanding.

MotoGP™

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  20. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    What a race the Austrian GP was, Marquez and Lorenzo tooth and nail the full distance with JL even doing a Marquez on MM, Dovi did well until it got personal then the 2 of them just took off

Going to be a good set of races left this year

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018