RAM Tank Mount for Garmin Nuvi

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Britt, Sep 22, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Britt

Britt New Member

Since I spend time figuring out how I wanted to mount my GPS and which specific parts would be required, I thought I'd share my setup with you.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 200, which is the cheapest of the Nuvi's (mine was $140 at Target). No it's not waterproof, and no you can't create custom routes, but it does a nice job at navigating when you consider how cheap it is. Plus it was a gift, so I'm going to stick with it!

After reading various discussions I decided I wanted to go with a tank mount system. Some research along with a helpful reply here on the forum, led me to purchase the following parts from GPSCITY:

1. RAM Mount Zinc U-Bolt Rail Base with Standard Arm Diamond Assembly
    P/N: RAM-B-149ZU SKU: RAMB149Z
    QTY: 1
    PRICE EACH: $25.95
    ITEM TOTAL: $25.95

2. RAM Mount Garmin nuvi 2xx Series Cradle
    P/N: RAM-HOL-GA24U SKU: RAMHOLGA24
    QTY: 1
    PRICE EACH: $8.19
    ITEM TOTAL: $8.19

The U-Bolt Rail Base fits the tank mounting hole pattern, and I simply threw the 2 U-bolts from the kit in a drawer since they're not needed.

The installation was a snap, although the tank mounting bolts could stand to be slightly longer. I don't feel like they threaded very far before being tight. I will probably look for longer bolts at some point.

On to the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If I had one nit to pick, I would pick on the very slightly disappointing level of finish on the RAM Mount parts. There were some ugly mold lines that I had to clean up with a razor blade. Also, some of the black finish where the ball meets the part did not cover very well. But once it's installed, it is completely hidden from view.

I really like how it worked out. The mount is extremely versatile and has a very wide range of adjustment. For $180 total, I can't complain about my setup.

2. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Looks good, I also mounted my Nuvi 750 the same way. Very functional. I also hard wired mine to the bike with a spare cigarette lighter adapter that I cannibalized.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  3. FrankoQ

FrankoQ New Member

Looking good!

4. Britt

Britt New Member

5. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah, I used the Blue Sea fuse panel too. I was having trouble getting the screws in the battery terminals with all those attachments. LOL Now all the accessories run through the fuse panel which is wired through a fused solenoid.

6. Rev

Rev New Member

Sweet, RAM has a mount for my C330. I've been trying to figure out how to mount it on my bike since I got it. Looks like a Blue Sea fuse panel is in my future too.

7. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    You won't regret either one.

8. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    I mounted my Nuvi 660 the same way (to my tank bolts), but on a 6" RAM arm so I can see it easily over my tank bag. I also added a RAM arm to a RAM stem mount right in front of my GPS for my radar detector. I can still see my console adequately even with these two devices mounted in tandem. I connect both inside my tank bag, which then has a Powerlet plug to a Powerlet socket nearby. Keeps all the wiring neat and unobtrusive. Now to find a place for my Sirius radio.

9. whiplash

whiplash New Member

question on the nuvi gps itself?

Thanks for all the input on the mounts. I'd been considering the NUVI 750,760 and would be interested in hearing how it works out for you as it is not supposed to be for a motorcycle. How does it function and how easy is it to access while riding? Can you hear it? I know it's not waterproof so do you have any kind of case to keep it dry or just take it off? Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

10. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    I don't ride much in the rain, so it's pretty much a non-issue. But I do carry a couple of zip lock bags just in case. It is easy to access even with gloves on as long as they aren't too bulky. It functions wonderfully; I got it because I wanted to be able to plan out trips on Street Atlas and Mapsource, and then download them to the Nuvi. The 750 does this admirably. I could hear mine if I bothered to hook it up to my Autocom system, but I've never been that interested in hearing it. Just having the route highlighted on the map when I come to a crossroad is the main thing.

Hope this helps.

11. whiplash

whiplash New Member

It helps. Thanks!

12. tgoh

tgoh New Member

Thanks for the good info from all in this thread. A GPS is one of my winter upgrades I have planned and it's good to hear about success with units other than the Garmin Zumo, which is very pricey for a guy with 2 kids in college.

13. dangerfloyd

dangerfloyd New Member

Hey there all you GPS guys! RAM makes a great Waterproof box for most gps units with 3 extension arm sizes. They have several mounting systems for Brake, Clutch, Handlebar etc. Check them out. I am installing my nuvi 765t with a waterproof setup on my Screamin Eagle baby!!!!
    Best of luck. Hope this helps.
    FYI, 1 place to look is mountguys.com where they sell between $35.00-$98.00

14. Cyborg

Cyborg New Member

United States
    I was tired of worrying about a suction cup letting go (or hitting it with my hand) and either losing the GPS at high speed (Happened) or it falling into the fairing space and jamming my steering (also happened but didn't lose the bike) so I got a RAM Cycle Stem Base. Problem was the ball is one inch, too big for my Nuvi 260's base. I really wanted the to work, so I got...creative.

A) cut the ball and it's post off then filed the area till it was somewhat smooth
    B) Cut the ball and about one inch of post off a 260's suction cup mount (Fixed only, the adjustable is no go)
    C) rough file the bottom of the 260 post level

Now, both the 260 post and stem base (where the original post was) have holes, that lined up, are perfect for a 1.25 inch screw to go from the bottom of the Stem base up into the 260 post and ball. I filed the 260 post so the screw tip reached into the middle of the ball to provide load support and used JB Quik Weld between the mated surfaces to take care of any uneven spots. I wanted the screw head to Line up flush with the stem base but the screw was at a slight angle to the base so I beveled the stem base hole til the screw head matched up. I then painted it with flat black touch up (Got a bit careless with the hacksaw and file) and installed. I'll post pics of the final install (Sorry, didn't think to pic the process as I did the voltmeter install). It looks good, has the Nuvi so I don't have to drop my head down to see it...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  15. dangerfloyd

dangerfloyd New Member

More recently, I found a site called techmount.com. They have pretty much any mount you are looking for without having to make any mods to your cycle at all. Couple one of these mounts with the above RAM waterproof Box and you've got the perfect system.
    If you are looking for custom wiring for this stuff then you would want to know about powerlet.net. Mention my name at these places (Neil Floyd) and you might get a bit of a discount!!!!!
    GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

16. bangbang1954

bangbang1954 New Member

Hello all gadget people. This last summer I got A Tom Tom rider2,also a chatter box bluetooth. the tom tom came with mount but got in way hitting windshield. from tom tom got a stem mount (get the right sized one or it flops around!). any way the tom tom comes with a helmet mount wireless ear & mike system this will receive from both the chatterbox, The tom tom sets up with your blue tooth cell phone, (Boy thats a mouth full).
    Both on quick relice mountings that have hard wiring going back to aux fuse block bye battery. (its to hard to smoke on bike at 65mph with full helmet so the lighter mount was not a good idea for me.) My chatterbox mounts on cover for brake fluid or clutch. cruse control helps with right side but left is MORE BETTER. For long rides I have cell phone charger cord in side bag. We just made trip from sac. Calif. to Vegas then to Texas & back home. way to much seat time need to find better seat any Ideas? stock seat gave us a max 100 miles before but went numb. mp3 player in top of tank bag. ( try to remember when you take a break take your cell phone off blue tooth) unless you wear helmet to potty HAHAHA LMAO still have numb left cheek.

17. dangerfloyd

dangerfloyd New Member

NEWEST INFO AND RESEARCH : techbiker.com has any and all conceivable mounting applications for GPS, Cells, Mp3's and all else. Call 407-539-4108 and ask for Ricardo. Tell him Neil Floyd with the Trike sent you. He will take care of you for sure.:thumbsup:

18. btay67

btay67 New Member

Map
    Somehow I missed this thread last year....:crazy:

Thanks for the pics, I really like the way that mounting worked out. So many upgrades I would like to do and so little money to do them! Just need to win the lotto but, since I don't buy tickets I'm thinking thats probably not going to happen.:smile:

19. docwells7

docwells7 New Member

Just wanted to say thanks for all of the information on this thread. I mounted mine exactly as the OP did, and love how it is positioned. High enough to see over my tank-bag (not a big bag), but low enough that it doesn't block my gauges. I hard wired it to the battery, but will likely look at how to wire it into the ignition somehow so I don't drain the battery on the bike accidentally. I am using the nuvi 500 which is waterproof (amusing that they have 'scooter' mode, but not motorcycle mode. think someone wants to direct business to the motorcycle specific gps? ;~) )
    Thanks again...

20. danr915

danr915 New Member

thanks for the pic's on this thread, but I have a question? If someone can help me out. I have an o8 viffer and after looking at Britt's pic's, I was thinking are the tank bolts different size spacing from year to year? mine are 1 5/8in from the center of the bolt to the center of the bolt. Thanks again for the pic's Britt.