RC45 rear hub swap

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by RVFR, Jan 21, 2008.

1. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, it's no doubt a long shot, but thought I'd ask anyway. Anyone here know about swapping out the rc45 rear hub so one can use the rear wheel that uses a Nut like it should be in the first place?

2. nozzle

nozzle New Member

United States
    Map
    I've never looked under the hub to see what kind of nuts the RC-45 has... Are they brass?

Sorry I'm not much help RVFR. I think it would look nice, but I'm fine with the 4 lug nuts, and happy they don't require a torx bit like the beemer's

Lint likes this.
  3. douglasthecook

douglasthecook New Member

United States
    Map
    I've also been looking into this. I've done some searching here, and over at VFRD. I have also posted up a question on the VFR Mailing List about using a Honda Hawk NT650 rear axle, as it was also single nut. We'll see what comes of that, and I'll get back to you when I hear something.

4. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    No kidding, missed that one, thanks for the whats what, I too will look into this.

Funny Nozzle.

5. safetypro10

safetypro10 New Member

United States
    Map
    Single nut rear end

Ask Safe-T about:

RC30, avalable from DK Spares?

Ducati hub

Larry
    Vfrrider

6. j.davis

j.davis New Member

7. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Nice, thanks for the link, time to fire this up again, so it seem there's more than just me liking this.

8. SAFE-T

SAFE-T New Member

I can have one made for your VFR750. The adapter needs to be press-fit into the hub so you have to send me your spindle, but that's what winter is good for.

You can see pics of the one I did for Swiffer over on vfrdiscussion.com

9. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Nice :wink: bout time you showed up. :biggrin: I'll have to go check that out. Ah yes ,winter projects. just might have one this winter since NO! V5 Viffer is on it's way..

Now we're talking

[​IMG]

Also good to see it fits, heard that it might not due to the fact even though the Ducati also uses a SSSA it's a lot bigger and shaped different. add in that are 4th gens only use a 5" rim in the first place so adding a 6" with a 180-190 tire would be a tight fit. This is good news, you just might be hearing from me, ;) Now on to the front..

10. Rev

Rev New Member

Meh, you can make anything fit anything; it just depends on how deep your pockets are.

11. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Meh? are you kidding me? That's the way Honda should have done up the rear wheel in the first place, it's not like they didn't all ready have the parts on hand via RC45

12. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    that looks pretty good. what did you end up going with on your bike? was the spindle swap the only thing you had to do or was it totally different? I was think you'd run into issues with all the lining up of the brake disc and sprocket.

what's the advantage other than speed? Do you just like the one nut look better? I mean the rear tire already comes off in 5 mins or so.

13. SAFE-T

SAFE-T New Member

Actually, for the VFR750 the hub swap is NC30 stuff.

14. SAFE-T

SAFE-T New Member

There are no sprocket/brake disc issues as you retain all the original Honda parts. In other pics you can see the press-fit axle for the single-nut wheel, which is additionally secured on the sprocket side with a goodly sized nyloc nut.

Swiffer noted he still had to mill off a small bit of rear brake caliper to clear the wheel. The Ducati wheels have a few mm more offset than the OEM wheel - if you have a 'wider' 180 rear tire (yes, some are wider/narrower and still say 180mm) it may rub on the hugger a bit. Mine does.

15. SAFE-T

SAFE-T New Member

Pretty much the only way you are going to put a set of rims on other than OEM.

16. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Hmm, I was wondering if there was an offset. So how does this effect the front wheel aliment as far as the original center line is concerned. Seems to me it needs to be spot on here. this isn't a car where you can have say -5 in the rear while you have +2 on the front, these need to stay in line LOL could only imaging what the handling would be like if they where not.

Safe-T would you know if the 1098 wheel uses that nut your axle is made for?

Yes Reggie, for me it 80% looks, besides having some different, 20% form and function, that and now I can stop being ribbed for having Civic lug nuts :wink:

17. SAFE-T

SAFE-T New Member

You would think it would be more important than it is, but it isn't. RC30's in the Isle of Man TT used to offset their wheels several mm to allow the use of 6.0" wide rear wheels, and you don't even want to know how much out of alignment a V-Max is....

Anyhow, after 16,000+ km I can't tell the difference and neither can anyone else that has ever riddden it. If it was a problem I'd have ditched the thing (literally) by now.

The 1098 uses a spindle design that looks more akin to the MV Agusta. I asked once if you could put Ducati wheels on an MV and was told 'no'. Left it at that. If you know someone with both bikes, please try it out and let me know as I would love to put an MV wheel on my VFR.

Here are the 'old'style' Marchesini Ducati 10-spokers

http://www.indysuperbikes.com/Images2/marchesini/marc-10alum.jpg

Note that they look the same as what you get on the 1098 - one way to find out is to cross-reference part #'s. That is, if Marchesini uses the same part # for the rear wheel on a 998 as a 1098 you are good to go.

18. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Now go figure that one. Nice to know and yet still very interesting in how that works the way it does.

19. SAFE-T

SAFE-T New Member

Yep. Strange but true.

Did check the wheel-side nut arrangement on the MV and it is quite different in physical shape.

There was one guy over on vfrD that was working on putting the entire Ducati eccentric and final drive assembly in his VFR swingarm, but I don't think he ever really got it figured out. I have all these parts myself and they are reasonably close such that you SHOULD be able to make them work with a cylindrical spacer to make up the difference in circumference from Ducati to Honda eccentrics.

Figuring out the rear brake stay arrangement was the most difficult part of doing my
    800's conversion. I would have preferred a custom stay but couldn't find anyone around here to help me make it work. Again, this is not so much an issue on the 750, but the 800's 3-piston front/rear dual hose rear brake caliper is monstrous. Particularly compared to what Ducati uses.

I would love to know what kind of arrangement Carrozeira came up with for their VFR adapter and wheels, as I can't imagine they made a VFR-only wheel to clear the brake caliper.

20. SAFE-T

SAFE-T New Member

Back to your first post - I was once told the RC45/VFR800 parts were interchangeable, so decided to find out what it might cost to do so.

Assuming you had to actually buy a complete RC45 final drive without knowing what parts were interchangeable or not, it worked out to around an $1800 experiment.

So when I have a couple thou that I feel like wiping my ass with, I'll let you know if it works.