RC45 rear hub swap

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by RVFR, Jan 21, 2008.

1. SAFE-T

SAFE-T New Member

2. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

What wheel are you using with that ? I assume its a car wheel or Ducati, I wouldn't want either !

3. SAFE-T

SAFE-T New Member

Car wheel ? ROFL

Any 6.0" wide wheel designed for a Ducati will work, including Marchesini, Dymag, PVM, Carrozeirra, BST, etc etc.

4. BiKenG

BiKenG New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I realise this is rather an old thread, but I have some questions about it.

First of all, what the hell is that adapter SAFE-T links to above? I'm thinking it's to adapt an 800 axle to accept a Ducati wheel, but it's adding what looks like half an inch of offset whereas the Ducati 916, 996 etc are only 4mm larger offset than the Honda. Do the large axle Duc wheels use that much more offset?

It also looks like the adapter bolts to the axle flange using the original wheel studs for which there must be suitable gaps in the wheel mount face. That's certainly not the case with the 916 wheel and I'd be surprised if it could be guaranteed on 1098 etc wheels from all manufacturers.

I'm actually trying to get a single nut fixing on a VFR750 and although I've seen several references to that (even in this thread) I'm struggling to find anything that'll work. The 400 eccentric hub maybe the same diameter as the 750, but it's 10mm narrower and I can't see that working. The 400 axle is also no good for the 750 hub as it needs too much machining to get the wheel placement correct and that will leave a VERY thin wall in the centre of the axle as well as making sprocket alignment problematic.

So if anyone can suggest what parts to use on the 750, it would be much appreciated.

5. douglasthecook

douglasthecook New Member

United States
    Map
    See if Safe-T is still around. I converted my VFR 750 to single nut years ago. He had me but the parts, and send them to him.He knew a guy that was a machinist in the oil fields, and would adapt a new VFR 750 axle for single nut use. If he can still do this, that would be the easy way, then all you would need to do is source your own rear wheel. Also, if he can stil do this, please let me know, as I might be interested in getting a second one as a spare.

6. BiKenG

BiKenG New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Thanks for that, but not seen anything from SAFE-T for ages. Also it's a little more complicated than that. I'm dumping the cush drive, so the VFR 750 and 800 axles are all wrong on the LHS. The 400 axle can be used in the 800 with some minor mods (as Mohawk has explained), but the 750 being narrower would require too much material removal.

What I actually want is hub and axle assemblies from both an RC30 and an RC45. So that'll be easy then. :)

7. douglasthecook

douglasthecook New Member

United States
    Map
    Well, definitely keep us posted, as this is something that does come up from time to time, and there appears to be several different solutions out there. As you know RC 30/45 parts are not easy to come by, it might be easier to find a local machinist that is willing to do the work that you require, but that also won't be cheap! I know there have been some Triumph swaps done, but I really do not know the details, or if that even fits what you're looking to do with eliminating the cush drive. There was another member on here BLS that knows quite a bit about RC-45's, as he has one, perhaps hit him up for advice?

8. BiKenG

BiKenG New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I am my own machinist. The problem is the source parts need to be suitable and as I said, while a 400 axle can be made to fit an 800, trying to make it fit in a 750 hub in the same way is a non starter. The narrowed OD of the axle would cross over to where the ID is largest and make that middle part very thin and weak. No amount of clever machining can avoid that.

It's particularly annoying because Honda made the perfect items, exactly suitable for the 750 and 800, namely the RC30 and RC45 axle/hub assemblies respectively. Then stopped making them. :(

Having said what I said earlier, smart machining could help. By manufacturing new axles and hubs. :)

douglasthecook likes this.
  9. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Hahahahahahaah