Rear Brakes- Time for pads.

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by montero1, Apr 12, 2016.

1. montero1

montero1 New Member

What brand are you guys using? OEM? And are they easier to change with the wheel off? I have mine off now waiting for a tire, saw the inner pad is really low...

2. montero1

montero1 New Member

OK, I got the pads in,but now, it drags really bad. It'll roll on a hill, but when on the center stand, it takes a lot of force to get the wheel to spin. Ideas? I've done 100 brake jobs on cars, trucks and motorcycles, I can't figure this out. Used EBC FA636HH pads. I took it for a 5 mile ride, got on them hard, but still a lot of drag. The rotor is getting really hot. (Spit test).

3. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, you almost have to have the wheel off to get to them easily. Check to see if the pads are "locked in" properly.

4. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    There could be a couple of reasons for brake drag, either the sliding pins for the caliper aren't slidey enough, or the pistons have got a buildup of gunge that is stopping them retracting nicely.

I'd suggest that you disassemble the brake for some love. Clean the sliding pins that the caliper sits on, and re-grease. Pump the pistons out a little (careful not to go too far) and clean any buildup off their surface so they are clean and shiny. A toothbrush or Scotchbrite pad would be good for that.

5. GigemVFR

GigemVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Did the old brake pads have an insulator/backing plate on them? It is that fiberous board material on back of brake pad. I was told by EBC, for my bike at least, that it is not necessary to install with new pads. Did you have and maybe reinstall? my two cents.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  6. montero1

montero1 New Member

I didn't use the backing plates off the old pads. I'm almost certain the inner pad is in right, the outer pad definitely is, you can see it from the other side. Im gonna put some more miles on, bed them in properly, then report back.

7. NormK

NormK New Member

If it is dragging you will only cook the pads

8. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I was just going to say basically what NormK pointed out - I wouldn't take it out again until you figure out what is causing this.

If you have significant drag, then there's a real problem there, and taking it for a ride to 'burn off some pad' or hoping it'll loosen up is just asking for problems ... it's also an easy way to warp your rotors from heat.

9. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    warped rotor

10. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Yeah, me too. The pads are dragging for a mechanical reason, not because they need to "bed in".

11. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    I just went through this with my Suzuki. I put in EBC HH pads in the front. While on the stand the front wheel would only rotate about a 1/2 revolution when spun by hand. After a brief test ride the right side rotor was noticeably hotter the the left. The fix in my case was making sure to remove all the crud from around the caliper pistons. Degalzing the rotors with a red Scotch Brite pad. I also sanded the pads lightly removing a small amount of material. That seemed to do it. As others have said leaving the brakes as is will only cook the pads and/ or rotor.