Rectifier/Regulator Questions - 1986 VFR 750F

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by JohnR1956, Feb 16, 2018.

1. JohnR1956

JohnR1956 New Member

United States
    Map
    Bike has about 20,000 miles. I've owned it 2 years. It's mostly stock except for the paint and lots of missing inner fairing parts. I'm going through it to perform the regular maintenance items listed in the manual.

I've read about the trouble people have had with the OEM R/R. I believe my bike has the OEM R/R. It's a Shindengen SH593-12 (6.2). I'm planning to inspect, clean, and apply dielectric grease to all couplings between the R/R and the alternator. Is there anything else I can do to support R/R health?

Would you recommend replacing it before there is trouble because it's just a problem waiting to happen?

Ebay has many R/R's listed for the '86 VFR 750 priced from $15 to $150. The ones from Rick's and those with MOSFET in the title are the most expensive. Does anyone know why the big difference in prices? I'll spend the money if there is a good reason but if they are all pretty much the same, I'd rather buy a cheap one and save the money for a fork brace, luggage, or lights.

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    No need to replace R/R before it finally quits. There's nobody to tell you whether an R/R bought online will work or accept a return if it doesn't so test yours, and if it's good, feel lucky. Alot of the r/r problems are related to fried connections, but you're fixing that. :cool:

Sorry, the chances of finding a fork brace are slim indeed.....but i have one from years ago. o_O

And, by the way, Shindingen translates to something like "You walkin' home, sucka." :deadhorse:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  3. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    As Squirrlelman said the connection on the gen two was the weak link. I would not sweat it too much if the connector was not deep fat fried already and you did away with the connector.

4. JohnR1956

JohnR1956 New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks guys. I'll just check and clean the connections and save my money for something more useful.