Reduce Motorcycle Emissions?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by namaishi, Jan 30, 2009.

1. namaishi

namaishi New Member

Map
    It seems that most motorcyclists are hell-bent on optimizing performance on their bikes and I can't say I blame them. Who doesn't want a smoother ride or better acceleration? However, assuming there isn't a huge impact on performance or substantially high cost, I wouldn't mind limiting my emissions if possible, at the very least to sub-Hummer levels.

Most bikes get pretty awesome fuel economy and I regularly get between 40-42 MPH on my 2006 Honda VFR800. However, the fact that motorcycles pollute up to 10 times bothers me a bit, especially considering motorcycles have been my commuter vehicle for the past six years.

I have found tons of discussions on removing emission controls, but none on actually improving reducing emissions.

Has anyone heard of a way to reduce their emission output to lower carbon dioxide and hydrocarbon levels?

Are there any exhaust manufacturers or other vendors that cater to this?

Note: I'm not giving up the VFR for an electric scooter!

Motorcycle Emission Articles:
    Motorcycles Emit 'Disproportionately High' Amounts Of Air Pollutants

Motorcycles and emissions: The surprising facts

2. Molsan

Molsan New Member

Map
    How about an ellectric VFR?
    http://vfrworld.com/forums/modifications/13300-1986-vfr700f-electric-conversion.html

That aside your right.
    I think you will be hard pressed to find many mod's for this, much like there are very few mod's to improve fuel effecency.

Catalytic converters are expensive and the mod community would not shell out for one and thus there is no market for them. Also most mod's will decrees your millage(even if slightly). Even improving the exaust decresses your millage i believe.

Short of cutting down to 2 cyclenders not sure there is much to do. I also question the bike pollute more. The vfr meets very strict emmision standards, and the v-tech helps that. the vfr is not a harley so maybe your thinking of the v-twins polluting more. I can't see the vfr spewing out more than my tarus.

3. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    First off, know your facts and look closely at the articles you are reading. For example, the article you refer to in the LA times says emissions reducing equipment such as catalytic converters are too heavy to put on motorcycles. Your VFR happens to have a cat and air injection system. I know all the new import bikes have to meet air quality standards (the more stringent euro 4) so it’s mainly the older bikes that the articles are about. Second, you have to look at how the facts are obtained and presented. For example the LA Times article says that motorcycles pollute more than Hummers. Hummers don’t pollute any more than any other vehicle because they have to meet the same emission standards as all vehicles produced in the US. They use Hummer because it invokes more of an emotional response in people than using something like a mustang. Also, the article doesn’t say where she got the average for the amount of pollution for motorcycles. Two stroke off road bikes could be included in that average. You should also have a look at how it’s calculated. Yes, an older bike does produce more pollution PER gallon that a new car or truck. However a bike travels farther than most on that gallon.
    Last thing, look at the second starred statement near the end of the article.

“* There haven't been enough advances in motorcycle emissions technologies to enable further pollution reduction to any significant degree.”

This shows a lack of knowledge and research which, too me, slants the article in the direction the author whishes to go. In this case it seems to be anti motorcycle.

Action

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  4. namaishi

namaishi New Member

Map
    Thanks for the comments all!

Molsan: First off, that electric VFR sounds pretty cool, although probably beyond my mechanical capabilities. I think I'll stick to four cylinders too. ;)

Action: I probably shouldn't have included the LA Time's article, but couldn't find an online version to the source material published in the American Chemical Society journal which may have provided less slant. I know I'm getting great gas mileage and am thrilled about that, but from what I understand CO2 and hydrocarbon emissions are a whole different thing. BTW: I dig that Bertrand Russel quote.

More than anything, I'd like to know if anyone knew what the emissions of the VFR were and how they compare to other models or how they compare to cars. Everyone says the VTEC is more efficient, and I do have one in my car, but I've seen very little data on the motorcycle VTEC. Also, I was wondering if anyone had come across an emission lowering device like a ULEV or PZEV capable catalytic converter for motorcycles. I'm not really interesting in neutering my bike if that's what it means, but if there was an cost effective way that did not limit performance significantly, I 'd be very interested. I have to admit that I'm fairly ignorant on the subject, so I may just need more education on the subject.

By the way, if anyone wants to compare fuel economy of various models, I found a nice reference on the Total Motorcycle Website. They claim the 2002 VFR gets between 46 to 56, but the most I've gotten is around 43 on my 2006.
    Motorcycle Fuel Economy Guide

5. Spike

Spike New Member

Yes all vehicles sold in the US have to reach certain minimum standards, but that doesn't mean every vehicle sold pollutes exactly the same. Far from it. It just means that you can't put out more than x amount of certain chemicals, doesn't mean that some vehicles aren't far far below it while others are closer to the limit. It also doesn't cover every part of tailpipe emmissions. Or the emmissions that are attributal to the Hummer for it god awful mileage due to the increase in gas consumption, which means all the pollution from finding, pumping out of the ground, shipping, refining, and shipping again of the extra gas. Or that the Hummer falls under a different CAFE heading than a car. Just like GM pushed the flex fuel vehicles for years, mostly to avoid CAFE penalty fines.

6. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    Spike,
    I agree Hummers pollute more than Civics because of their poor MPG. I also agree that a tail pipe emissions checks don’t cover the spectrum of emissions that are harmful to the environment. My point was that just like cars there is a huge difference between a late 80’s two stroke dirt bike or the Gas-Gas that was pictured, and a late model VFR. The author really irritated me with her last statement that even your small motorcycle pollutes more than a Hummer. There was a rebuttal in one of the motorcycle mags that did a better job than my post but I didn’t have time to find it. I also have a problem when someone makes statements in an article without presenting all the facts. As an example the OP’s bike already meets the 2010 California emissions standards and the fact that new bikes come with cat’s and meet new emission requirements.

For a different view point - LINK

Edit - Here's the article out of sport rider - Link

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  7. namaishi

namaishi New Member

Map
    Action,
    Thanks for posting those two articles. They definitely cleared some things up for me. They had some great points, including the one about lane-splitting here in California. It would be nice if someone would do a study with newer motorcycles, including those that must adhere to new emission laws, and are more representative of what we see here in the states. I'm pretty surprised there is so little data on this given the increasing interest about environmental concerns. I'm also still interested to see how my emissions are compared to other bikes and cars in general. It would probably only be anecdotal, but for curiosities sake, I may see if I can get one of those $20 smog checks. I'll post my results if I end up doing this. I might also write the MythBusters, to see if they can test this and then perhaps blow up a bike for good measure. ;)

8. Gears

Gears New Member

If it will make you feel better, park your bike and take the bus.

9. namaishi

namaishi New Member

Map
    You're obviously missing my point.

10. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    I understand where you are coming from Namaishi.

I mean, imagine what LA would look like today, if we never enacted pollution laws that made catalytic converters mandatory! In the 60's it got so bad that it would sting your eyes on smoggy days. Now double that population. I am sure that many folks have been to a developing nation that has zero emission laws....well...WOW...it is hard to even breathe after 9am! Every little bit helps....I do agree. There is a way to reduce pollution, and still get good gas mileage...automakers do it each day. Motorcycles do have smaller engines than your average car, however, they still do pollute no matter how you sugar coat it.

Will I be putting a cat on my bike? Well....it did not come with it, so I am not gonna throw one on it......sooo NO...I will not.

:cheersaf: