Regulator/Rectifier Failure

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Jake, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

My new ( to me ) 1997 vfr750 w/ 6500 miles died today - thankfully not in traffic. Completely dark initially. Waited about 15 minutes and bike jump started but only ran briefly. After charging battery running again, haven't started multimeter testing yet. Have to say this puts a large damper on my VFR experience.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

As i read all these posts regarding the charging problem
    these bike are having i am stunned that Honda still seems to ignore this.
    More dissapointing is the Honda dealers & customer
    support.
    After a six day tour on rented 01 vfr's,my brother & i along with a friend rushed home too sell our existing bikes to make room for the new 02 vfrs.
    I have always told my custormers not to buy 1st year
    build runs while the factory work out the the kinks,but this was different.
    This is a Honda
    This is a VFR
    Well we had our kinks, but i'm ok with that, what i was NOT ok with was the treatment from the dealers & even
    more so the factory rep.
    i have always held Honda above the other three for build quality, safety,customer service etc etc.........

As our bikes are now out of warranty we are finding signs of melting wires on the charging system.
    The dealer looked at it. "yep their burnt" he said
    they called the factory who couldn't even bother to look at it.
    I called the "customer service" spoke with Maegan
    who repeated "the unit is out of warranty"
    "i know" i said " but dont you want to see it so you can
    maybe prevent other bikes getting damaged god forbid
    anyone should get injured!!!!

"the unit is out of warranty"

This so called "customer service" is some of the worst
    i've ever seen.
    The damage done to Honda's reputation & image in my eyes is stunning.

May be we should all drop Mitch a line,let him know how the rest of us get treated.

ride safe ,have fun,

3. cohiba_chief

cohiba_chief New Member

Honda's ignorance could eventually kill someone.

If Honda is waiting for someone to have this problem happen at the very worst time (ie. in a traffic jam or high speed passing situation) someone will get killed. At this point the public outcry as well as lawsuits will far outweigh the negligent attitude that is keeping them from spending a bit time/money to address this important malfunction.

4. bwcrave

bwcrave New Member

How can I contact Mitch? I have a few choice words for him as the 1st time my 98 died due to r/r failure, I was riding in heavy traffic, the 2nd in the middle of nowhere 2 states from home. Eventually after replacing the R/R 3 or 4 times, the battery, and completely eliminating connectors I found the windings of the stator in sad shape. Dont know if the R/R fried the stator 1st, or if the stator fried all R/R's. It sucked either way, and I would like to convey my warmest to Mr Mitch.