Removal of passenger foot pegs and brackets on 2001 VFR 800

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by ridgefactor, Jun 30, 2012.

1. ridgefactor

ridgefactor New Member

Map
    I have a 2001 VFR. Recently a friend bought me a high side tail pipe and we installed it on the bike. The right side passenger foot peg was in the way of the pipe and we had to remove it to get the pipe on. When I went to remove the left side peg bracket I noticed the seat latch release and helmet lock were molded to the bracket. Does any one here have an idea of how I can remove the left side foot peg and bracket and still be able to use my seat release? Other than cutting it I don't really see how I can remove this and still be able to remove the seat.

Any help or advice would be great.

2. Stray

Stray New Member

United Kingdom
    Bumping up this old thread as I'm also interested in ditching the rear footrests on my 5th gen.

Has anybody got clever solution for keeping the helmet lock and seat latch?

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Some other make/models use a similar release setup, I.e. Keyed, cable actuated release, however their tumbler mechanism is cut into the fairing. Unfortunately I don't have a list of what make/models have this but I do know that a 2002 CBR 954 has a seat release that is as I described. You can see if you can find one of these assemblies and rigg up something similar or do what I did and just cut the mount flush with the rear cowl.

Stray likes this.
  4. hondaman219

hondaman219 New Member

United States
    Map
    This is what I did to my 92. I had to cut the ends off the rear passenger pegs. I needed to reuse the top because it connected the frame with the subframe. The right side I just cut flush with the bottom of the tail. On the left I left the grab bar and seat lock assembly but removed as much as I could. 20170430_091516.jpg 20170430_091621.jpg

Stray likes this.
  5. Stray

Stray New Member

United Kingdom
    Thanks for your response OOTV and hondaman 219.

I'm going to follow your advice and break out the hacksaw.

In England if the bike has a dual seat it must have rear footpegs. If I remove the pegs I must convert it to solo seat. Time to buy a cowl!

Hondaman219, that is a really tidy looking VFR. There is enough of the footrest left to help lift it onto centre stand. Credit to you.

Thanks again, gents.

6. hondaman219

hondaman219 New Member

United States
    Map
    That is why I left the bar above the lock. There is nothing else to help get it on the center stand. Here is a close up of what I left. Also here in maine same issue with removing rear pegs if it has a rear seat. I put this decal on the tank more for looks but it almost looks factory. 20170828_080332.jpg 20170828_080355.jpg

Stray likes this.
  7. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Sorry the pic is late to the game, I couldn't find it earlier. This is the key side foot peg mount. When the rear cowl is on, you do not even see the lateral part, just the key and helmet hook.

[​IMG]

Stray likes this.
  8. Stray

Stray New Member

United Kingdom
    Nice clean solution.

I was looking at this partly as a weight saving exercise. Ideally I'd like to remove as much of the scaffold as possible and end up keeping just the lock unit.

Upon further consideration yours is the best and cleanest solution. It also leaves something to hold for pulling onto the centre stand. I'm going to follow your lead - thanks!

Stray