Removing front wheel on 6th Gen

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by GSLobosco, Dec 30, 2017.

1. GSLobosco

GSLobosco New Member

United States
    I just acquired a 2007 Anniversary Edition bike and need to replace both front and rear tires. I'd expect to dismount the brake calipers to make front wheel removal easier. When I do, should I plan to insert a thin wooden wedge between the brake pads to avoid having the pads close because the rotor isn't keeping them apart, or is that unnecessary? Is there a good explanation of the wheel removal process in the archives here? Thanks for your advice.

2. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Nope, unless you plan on pulling the brake levers it doesn't matter

3. slovcan

slovcan New Member

Canada
    Annapolis Valley, NS, Canada - IBA #63720
    The calipers shouldn't move the pads closer together when the wheel is off, BUT my wheel always goes back on just a bit easier if I spread the pads a bit before I put it back in place. Otherwise you will touch the edge of a pad with a rotor and move it, closing the gap so the rotor won't fit between the pads. I also put a block of some sort between the brake lever and the grip and put a cable tie around the whole thing to hold it in place. Make sure it's big enough to prevent the lever from moving at all.

4. JimFife777

JimFife777 New Member

Map
    as mentioned above, spread them apart a bit, but do it before removal. After you unbolt them, before sliding off the rotor, give them a bit of a twist, using the rotor as the tool to push the pads in. Reason being, ,many people will use a screwdriver or some other tool they have and any grease/oil on the tool can contaminate the pads. When twisting the calipers, don't twist inward or outward of the disc, but rather in a way that one side of the disc pushes on one pad and the other side the other pad.
    This will almost guarantee easy installation of the calipers

5. JimFife777

JimFife777 New Member

Map
    Don't know if this helps, but I threw this together few years back on an old forum. Would've put up a link, but the pics don't show unless you're registered.

Attached Files:

6. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    I like the suggestion of using the rotor to push the pistons back a bit. Will add that to my repertoire. Certainly better than my usual method of getting a big screwdriver in there.

I'd also suggest that when pulling the calipers off, that would be a good time to be greasing the sliding caliper pins, as these calipers need the sliding action to move freely to give their best.

7. JimFife777

JimFife777 New Member

Map
    I used to use a big flat blade as well, but didn't like the marring of the pad surface. ;-)

8. OOTV

OOTV Insider

9. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Never could figure out why people go to such ridiculous lengths to accomplish something so simple. Use your bean, you were born with it.

LIGHTDUTY likes this.
  10. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    You should be able to find that at any tool store that sells automotive repair tools. I remember seeing one when I worked at KMS Tools. I thought about buying one but thought I have had that front wheel off and on enough without special tools, I didn't see the need to purchase one. Both the service manual and my Haynes Manual are pretty good a directing you to take the wheel on and off.

11. GSLobosco

GSLobosco New Member

United States
    Thanks to all of you for your help and advice. I have the Haynes manual now, so with your input and the book, I am confident in getting it done without breaking anything big.

12. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    If I recall, the Haynes Manual recommends tying the calipers to a spot on the forks to avoid putting too much strain on the connectors of the brake fluid lines I think this is an important step and should not be dismissed.

13. JimFife777

JimFife777 New Member

Map
    Yup, I hang mine with a loop of mule tape (don't know if that's the actual name, but that's what I know it as).