replace fuel pump

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by rocrom, Sep 30, 2017.

1. rocrom

rocrom New Member

United States
    HI my bike has been sitting for several years, I had a bike mechanic come and perform maintenance to get it started. Turns out I needed a new fuel pump and the tank had rust. I cleaned the tank and purchased a new fuel pump. While cleaning the tank I removed the fuel pump. The mechanic wants to charge 150 to replace the fuel pump I plan on doing it my self, just revers how I took it out. The problem is he is the one who disconnected everything and I'm not sure what goes into what. I have attached images can some someone guide me where to connect everthing

Attached Files:

2. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Here's a Dropbox link to the service manual. Download and enjoy.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/wgmgfcbhi4emc4n/VFR800Fi 98-01.pdf?dl=0

The high pressure hose goes to the fuel rail, with crush washers either side of the hose fitting and the bolt torqued to spec, because you don't want fuel spraying out of this. There should be a return low pressure hose coming from the regulator (your pic #254) on the fuel rail back to the tank underside. The other two hoses under the tank are a breather (small one) and the filler overflow (big one).

Hose runs are shown in the general section of the manual.

3. rocrom

rocrom New Member

United States
    Hi Tony thanks for your help, unfortunately i'm not very mechanical incline. pic d06 (2c) should go to pic 254 (1c) Pic DA03 (1A) goes to pic d06 on fuel pump. What goes in (1B) in pic da03. I appreciate any help you or anyone else can give Thanks

4. vegaquark

vegaquark New Member

Spain
    2b goes onto 1b and 2a should be a overflow or a fuel cap leak collector so no too important at all.
    Clearly 2b and 2a are the overflow and leak collector that will go to the fuel evap system in california model or to the floor directly on the rest of the models.
    The important ones are the ones that go and come to and from the fuel pump. The one with the big bolt is the one that gives pressure and the other small one is the one that returns the excess of pumped fuel, back to the tank.
    Just don't break your mind too much about 2b and 2a, on most of the versions it ends up being a tube to the floor.